My first rejection!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EVMS gave me the big N-O today via snail mail. No reason was given, but they did suggest I consider a Master's in Biomedical Sciences Program if I don't get into medical school. Gee, thanks. Oh well. At least it wasn't a school I was super interested in...

Members don't see this ad.

No worries, i think you applied broadly enough. keep your chin up.

Thanks. I guess I'm just worried now because going strictly by numbers, that was my best chance. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep the faith. And the smile!
:D

Thanks, mikkey, I'll try.

Thanks. I guess I'm just worried now because going strictly by numbers, that was my best chance. :(

have faith in harvard! they take unique indiviudals and not necessarily 4.0, 45's. based on your gpa and ec's, id def say you are unique enough! dont lose hope.

at least it was pre-secondary (I hope).

once you get shot down by schools after paying them 85 bucks, you'll look back and say, "wow EVMS, that was nice of you."

welcome to the game... ;)

at least it was pre-secondary (I hope).

once you get shot down by schools after paying them 85 bucks, you'll look back and say, "wow EVMS, that was nice of you."

welcome to the game... ;)

That's true. $95 in my pocket! Woo.

Yep, I got the same rejection today. First in what I expect will be a string of much more terse rejections. I didn't have the numbers for an OOS applicant anyway. Keep your head up!

Makes me wonder how I'll take MY first rejection. *shudder*

If they don't think you're good enough, you would have never liked them anyways. :) it's in your favor, I'm sure.

I too get rejected from Marshall, just because I'm a NY kid! They said it would be impossible for me to get in, hah! Maybe I should file a lawsuit. ;)
gluck:luck:

If they don't think you're good enough, you would have never liked them anyways. :) it's in your favor, I'm sure.

Way to rationalize. Unfortunately that is untrue for me. There are numerous schools who I know I am not good enough for and I would love to go there. Duke, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton come to mind.

BTW back on topic, I wonder what the screen is. It is definitely not GPA. I am out of state and a lower GPA than yours :scared: and I got one. weird.

EVMS gave me the big N-O today via snail mail. No reason was given, but they did suggest I consider a Master's in Biomedical Sciences Program if I don't get into medical school. Gee, thanks. Oh well. At least it wasn't a school I was super interested in...

I got one today too from the University of Louisville, bla.

It was my first rejection and I'm sure it wont be the last. At least we got the first one out of the way . . . it wasn't so bad I guess :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Aw one school this early in the process shouldn't get you down. In fact, I'd frame my first rejection. I'd, of course, frame my first acceptance in an even better frame but that's not the point.

I'm rooting for you this cycle! So good luck with the rest!

Way to rationalize. Unfortunately that is untrue for me. There are numerous schools who I know I am not good enough for and I would love to go there. Duke, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton come to mind.

BTW back on topic, I wonder what the screen is. It is definitely not GPA. I am out of state and a lower GPA than yours :scared: and I got one. weird.

Princeton?

Is your science GPA higher?

yeah, the first one's always a little bit painful.

hope you have good news (aka invite) soon!!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

That's too bad. I'm applying, too, so if you and zipmedic got rejected, I probably will, too.

I got one today too from the University of Louisville, bla.

It was my first rejection and I'm sure it wont be the last. At least we got the first one out of the way . . . it wasn't so bad I guess :cool:

I applied to Louisville but I haven't heard from them yet. :scared: Oh man. I am so worried that everyone's going to reject me now. I need to put this all out of my head and re-f*ckin-lax.

My GPA is 3.1 and I still got the secondary so I'm not sure how they are screening~

My GPA is 3.1 and I still got the secondary so I'm not sure how they are screening~
Maybe they are only looking for a high MCAT and are disregarding the GPA at this stage?

On a related note....do you guys ever wonder why schools have such strict cut-offs and high standards for OOS? I mean, why would U of Whatever put so much effort into ONLY interviewing OOS's with like 3.8+ GPAs and 34+ MCATs, when these kids are already likely to have many schools to choose from, possibly even higher-ranked private schools? Wouldn't it be more effective to have roughly the same standards for OOS as they do for IS, so that not as many OOS's reject the offers? I just don't see the logic behind this "high stats" approach for OOS.

I really think you are going to be fine!!! And then when you get into somewhere else (that according to numbers is harder to get in) you will realize that this process is not as black and white as people might lead you to believe.

good luck!!!!:D

I really think you are going to be fine!!! And then when you get into somewhere else (that according to numbers is harder to get in) you will realize that this process is not as black and white as people might lead you to believe.

good luck!!!!:D

Thanks! I hope you're right. Good luck to you too! :)

Maybe they are only looking for a high MCAT and are disregarding the GPA at this stage?

On a related note....do you guys ever wonder why schools have such strict cut-offs and high standards for OOS? I mean, why would U of Whatever put so much effort into ONLY interviewing OOS's with like 3.8+ GPAs and 34+ MCATs, when these kids are already likely to have many schools to choose from, possibly even higher-ranked private schools? Wouldn't it be more effective to have roughly the same standards for OOS as they do for IS, so that not as many OOS's reject the offers? I just don't see the logic behind this "high stats" approach for OOS.

I'm probably totally off-base, but the way I imagine it works is that since schools receive state money for admitting residents of the state, they would much rather take in-state students. In order to "make it worth their while" to take OOS students, they up the ante so that they benefit from the higher stats of the OOS applicants in bringing their gpa and MCAT averages up. I have NO idea if any of that is valid, it's just the way I look at it.

Is your science GPA higher?

My science GPA is 2.8. Where the hell did I get Princeton from? Is it even a college? My self esteem is so low I have to make up schools that I am not good enough for:laugh:

Ah, I remember my many rejections... My first was pre-secondary from Wake Forest. After that, I made a game out of guessing how the schools would phrase their brush-offs in the letters. The great part is, if you get even one acceptance, you couldn't care less about all the rejections you received :)

Ah, I remember my many rejections... My first was pre-secondary from Wake Forest. After that, I made a game out of guessing how the schools would phrase their brush-offs in the letters. The great part is, if you get even one acceptance, you couldn't care less about all the rejections you received :)

:thumbup:

agreed on that... plus if you really need to cope you can just cheer for who ever's playing against that school's football/basketball team.

Are you from Wash? That school has recently become one of my top choices...Absolutely in love with the organization of their program...but I am a calif res...but I am a URM and DEFINITELY interested in working with the underserved (and have demonstrated that committment)

Yep, I got the same rejection today. First in what I expect will be a string of much more terse rejections. I didn't have the numbers for an OOS applicant anyway. Keep your head up!

Ya that's pretty strange that you got rejected. Your numbers are pretty good

Ya that's pretty strange that you got rejected. Your numbers are pretty good

*takes a look at their stats...*

Wow, not even a seconday. Geez, that's a bit harsh. You'd think they'd milk money out of you before they sent a rejection letter, but I'm sensing some strong OOS cutoffs here.

The stats (EVMS):

In-state: 301/675 = 44.5% interviewed
Out-of-state: 298/3368 = 8.8% interviewed

In-state: 71/675 = 10.5% matriculated
Out-of-state: 38/3368 = 1.1% matriculated

A lot of the chopping gets done pre-interview and event post-interview, there's a strong showing of more selectivity OOS. At least you didn't waste more money on 'em? :oops: