My future dog - advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2win

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Married , one kid, young - all my life a german shepard owner - time is coming for another one...
My wife totally opposes an Akita, Dobermann or a german shepard.
What do you have or had and what is your favorite dog?
Irish wolfhound is great too...
Not a fan of rescue dogs.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a boxer. Great with kids. By far the best dog I've ever owned.

Married , one kid, young - all my life a german shepard owner - time is coming for another one...

I have a GSD so I feel for you. What is her reason for no Germans? If it is just the hair you could get a shorter haired version. Although they still shed.

There is also the Belgian Malinois? I prob will never have a different breed from now on. Although the blue dobbies are very cute.

Members don't see this ad :)
German Shepherd All the way...

Smart
Loyal
Fun as hell
Agility
Guard dog
Good with kids
Good with cats (I have three cats)
Understanding beyond that of a canine... he just gets it.
Best little-big buddy I've owned.

Get a Black and Red. Best look’n

Shadowland Shepherds are good breeders whose focus is on all aspects of a GSD, but specifically temperament.

My boston terrier was WONDERFUL with kids. Quiet (I don't think he EVER barked at the front door/doorbell - EVER) and was the most playful guy in the whole world, I hear that about Boston's. A smaller breed so maybe it will be an easier "sell" with your S.O.? :D

D712

Best dog I ever owned was a German shepard/Black Lab mix. She was great with my kids and looked like a GS, except all black (oh, and 115 lbs. . .much larger than either of her parents).

IMG_0321.jpg
[/IMG]

At six months:

Sit, stay, fetch, catch frisbee, play dead after taking a bullet, hide and seek, off leash and beginning of agility training.

His focus is amazing.

Zeus 1.jpg

Last edited:
Get a rescued retired racing greyhound. Some may think that they're a bit odd looking but they're fantastic dogs. Friendly, affectionate, very intelligent, not at all aggressive. And to top it off, you'll get the chance to give a nice life to a dog that probably hasn't had that so far and might otherwise be put down. I used to have one and look forward to having another at some point.

Golden retrievers are wonderful -- I've had one all my life.

golden-retriever.jpg

Friendly, calm, and easy on the eyes. Good with kids. When bonded, they are very loyal / protective of their family (contrary to public opinion).

Agree with all of the above post, except for labs :p

Boxers are a great animal too. Just more energetic, if that's what you're looking for.

Bull Mastiff.

Border Collie Mix. Not pure bred. Mine is Australian Shepard/Border Collie. The best dog on the planet. Medium sized, excellent with kids, cats. Very mellow, but unbelievably smart. I rescued him from the pound at 1 year old, and only follows me from room to room and lays down. Not loyal and stupid like labs and goldens. He is now 12+. Great athlete, has climbed more 14ers than I have. I have even met other dogs that are similar mixes on hikes, etc, and owners have very similar experiences to mine. If he goes the wrong way around a pole or tree, he "knows" which way to go to be untangled, always. You will not be disappointed. And what is wrong with rescue dogs?

OK... one more pic.

These guys are good look'n as little ones. I like the ear flop thing.
picture.php
[/IMG]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm partial labs, particularly lab mixes. The lab is pretty genial and tolerant, and can be protective. Their only real downside, IMO is how excitable they are as puppies. This can be reigned in with lots of training early, but if you find the right mix (maybe a Labradoodle = lab + standard poodle) it isn't terrible. I have a lab mix, she's a humane society special, and she's an awesome dog.

Border Collie Mix. Not pure bred. Mine is Australian Shepard/Border Collie. The best dog on the planet. Medium sized, excellent with kids, cats. Very mellow, but unbelievably smart. I rescued him from the pound at 1 year old, and only follows me from room to room and lays down. Not loyal and stupid like labs and goldens. He is now 12+. Great athlete, has climbed more 14ers than I have. I have even met other dogs that are similar mixes on hikes, etc, and owners have very similar experiences to mine. If he goes the wrong way around a pole or tree, he "knows" which way to go to be untangled, always. You will not be disappointed. And what is wrong with rescue dogs?

" And what is wrong with rescue dogs?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing - they are awesome dogs. Just I tried to avoid them because I have a kid and most of the are already mature dogs - so you don't know anything about their personality.

" And what is wrong with rescue dogs?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing - they are awesome dogs. Just I tried to avoid them because I have a kid and most of the are already mature dogs - so you don't know anything about their personality.

:confused:

On the contrary, since they are adults you know everything about their personality. Getting a puppy is more of a crapshoot than getting an adult.

I don't think you have as much control over your puppie's development as you would like to.

:confused:

On the contrary, since they are adults you know everything about their personality. Getting a puppy is more of a crapshoot than getting an adult.

I don't think you have as much control over your puppie's development as you would like to.

Nope - you are wrong here. You take a huge chance when you adopt a mature dog and you have a kid. For a puppy is easy to get used with the abuse....A lot of older dogs suffered some kind of abuse from children and they will pay back.

Nope - you are wrong here. You take a huge chance when you adopt a mature dog and you have a kid. For a puppy is easy to get used with the abuse....A lot of older dogs suffered some kind of abuse from children and they will pay back.

I think that's a presumption you cannot substantiate. I'm not talking about dogs at a pound. Rescue dogs are typically taken by a rescue organization which can give you info on why the dog needs a new home. They live with these dogs in their homes, and can tell you about their personality. They can often tell you if they think the dog will be safe with children.

Furthermore, probably your best determination of safety with kids will be the breed itself. Some breeds are inherently safe with kids, some are not. If your primary concern is childhood safety, avoid any breed connected with fighting, with the exception of perhaps the boxer. Avoid dalmations, probably Weimeraners. No chihuahas.

Dogs are my thing. I have 3 dogs, all rescues and all very different from each other. I have had Boxers all my life and when my last one died I said I would adopt from here on out. My last Boxer was amazing just as all Boxers are. Smart, athletic, playful and exceptionally good with kids. But I live in an area that is cold in the winter and Boxers are not that tolerant of the cold. Therefore, I said I would get a cold weather dog. I went to the Humane Society for about 6 months straight until I found the dog I wanted. This was so hard. They are all sitting there waiting for someone to take them home just so they can make someone happy. Adopted dogs are just as good as any other dog. No one can say that one is better than the other. You just need to search a bit until you see what you want. 2win, all you have to do is take your wife and kid with you when you go and you will find one that suits everyone. On second thought, you should go by yourself first because your wife and kid will want to take every dog they see home.

So I got a shepard mix and he is awesome, but he ain't no Boxer. Boxers are different in my mind. My shepard mix ski's with me, bikes with me and can do everything I wanted my companion to do. then my wife want to make a donation to the local humane society one Xmas. We go there with our donated dog beds and start to pass them out to the dogs and there is this Boxer in a pen. He has been turned in because the owner got and apt and they didn't allow dogs (I'd like to strangle anyone that gets a dog and can't commit to it for the life of that dog). Having had Boxers all my life there was no way I was going to leave him in there. Some of you may remember Jet's favorite dog pic of my Boxer (Singletary).
IMG_3974.jpg

Singletary make 3 dogs for us. But unfortunately, 2 days ago we found out that my wifes dog another shepard/wolf/coyote whatever mix has a mass in her abdomen. She has lost over 20#'s and she goes for an US tomorrow. My fingers are crossed that this isn't it for her. My wife (and I ) will be heart broken if we lose her. We love dogs. Here is a pic of the three of them. The one in the middle (wolf like) is the sick one.
IMG_3964.jpg

I just noticed that in the first pic of Singletary you see his crotch and the second pic he is showing his bunghole. Nice pictures ahh.

Hey Noy. Sorry to hear about your buddy. That really sucks. :thumbdown: She is part of the family and a contributor to the pack. All four of you look really happy. So, at the very least she has had an excellent life since the pound.

I've lost three dogs in my life and everytime it happens, it wipes me out.

Here is for hoping everything turns out OK for her. :xf::xf:

Last edited:
Hey Noy. Sorry to hear about your buddy. That really sucks. :thumbdown: She is part of the family and a contributor to the pack. All four of you look really happy. So, at the very least she has had an excellent life since the pound.

I've lost three dogs in my life and everytime it happens, it wipes me out.

Here is for hoping everything turns out OK for her. :xf::xf:

Hey Noyac,

I second that, hope y'er middle guy does well. :xf:

D712

If you are against rescue dogs, make sure you do your homework if you are going to purchase a purebred. You want to select a dog that will be suitable for your living situation, yard/no yard, time to exercise, etc.

Sites like http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com give a great breakdown on all the purebreds. Personally I have a newfoundland and while it eats and shi*s a ton, and slobbers, her personality as as loyal as they come and do not require much yard/living space. One thing to note though, is that purebreds typically have more health issues later in life and finding a safe/reputable dealer can be a hassle.

We currently have two pound dogs: a sheltie mix and a beagle/chow mix. The sheltie mix is affectionate, playful and athletic while our beagle mix is alpha male all the way, a little high strung and tough to take to dog parks b/c his initial reaction to other dogs is hostility. He is also autistic for scents and will parade around our backyard for hours with his nose in the air. They both do very well with our 10 mo. old son. We love em both very much.

Has anybody ever had a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Thanks everyone, we find out more today.

I house sat for a couple back in college that had a Rhodesian Ridgeback. He was a cool dog. Don't know much more about them.

Thanks everyone, we find out more today.
My dog, the pound puppy, recently developed a palpable, firm mass on her neck. I imagine it had been growing for a bit, as it was roughly the size of a silver dollar and egg-shaped. By the time I discovered it and called to make an appointment, the vet couldn't get us in for a two days. That was the longest two days I think I've ever experienced with regard to her health. It turns out that it is a benign cyst, but I was sweating bullets worryin' about my Guinness. In short, I have an idea of how you feel and it sucks. Good luck to you and yours.

I'm partial to shaggy dogs. I have a 60 lb Goldendoodle and a 25lb Cockapoo. My goldendoodle looks pretty much like this though I have him shaved at the moment.

0161_dg.jpg

Cute so the wife will probably love it
Smart (Golden and Poodle are among the smartest dogs)
Loyal
Energetic when you want but willing to lounge
Good with kids. He's as gentle a dog as I've had, but the deep low bark will scare people of if need be.
Doesn't shed!
Doesn't howl or yap yap yap.

I'm still looking for the wife's reason for no GSD? Shedding is the only good reason I can think of. Once you have one, a good one, no other dog will do. My Buddy died 2 years ago, still can't bring myself to get another dog. When we do, it will likely be a GSD. Though considering the labradoodle thing due to shedding. Have seen some great ones, but they are $$.
As you likely know, breeding is everything. See the parents if at all possible before choosing.
Good luck
Tuck

Breeding is important but please be careful of the puppy mills. I would really like to see you just check out your local dog shelter. If nothing suits you guys there then move on. Nothing breaks my heart more than an abandoned dog just begging for a home.

You could go straight to 2 dogs. One from the pound and one from a breeder. That way they will have a partner while you guys are away at work, school, vacation etc. I find 2 dogs to be perfect for everyone. They can entertain each other if you are too tired after work.

Here's my second dog and newest rescue - got him in July. I'm come to think he's at least in large part Ridgeback (kennel said "Shepherd/Lab mix," which he's obviously not). The black one (9.5 years - younger one just turned 2) is a Border Collie/Lab mix. Both are GREAT dogs. I'd be curious to hear anyone's other breed ideas on the new guy....

1496q6x.jpg

69qn1l.jpg

efkvfb.jpg

142ue02.jpg

We currently have two pound dogs: a sheltie mix and a beagle/chow mix. The sheltie mix is affectionate, playful and athletic while our beagle mix is alpha male all the way, a little high strung and tough to take to dog parks b/c his initial reaction to other dogs is hostility. He is also autistic for scents and will parade around our backyard for hours with his nose in the air. They both do very well with our 10 mo. old son. We love em both very much.

Has anybody ever had a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Also, in response to OP's question - you've gotten A LOT of great advice. I am a HUGE rescue dog proponent, and I understand your reasons for not wanting to do it, but don't really agree. I think you should take Noy's advice and at least CHECK OUT the shelters around you - you might be surprised. We got our newest dog at 1.5 years from a shelter. He is AMAZING, with NO personality flaws, aggression, etc. Remember that you never know somebody's reason for having to get rid of a dog - not all shelter dogs have been abused. Sometimes people lose jobs, have to move, get divorced, etc. and the dog has to go. Unfortunate, but true. I think the 1-year age range is perfect, b/c they're young enough, but you don't have to go through as much training/potty training, etc. as with a really young pup. Just a couple thoughts. I wish you the best of luck - dogs are GREAT!

I'm partial to big dogs in general and rottweilers especially.

Friendliest happiest dog I've ever known. We did have to change all the outside door handles in the house though because he figured out how to open them ... was cruising the neighborhood at his leisure, coming back home and letting himself back in.

doofus.jpg

Not exactly a rescue, though we got him at about 1.5 years old. His first family couldn't keep him.

I just noticed that in the first pic of Singletary you see his crotch and the second pic he is showing his bunghole. Nice pictures ahh.

Is he named after Mike Singletary? I hope you get good news from the vet on your dog.

Bluetick beagle... He has quite a personality and is a sweet little guy..

please reconsider a rescue. because of my rescue i now know the meaning of unconditional love.... from here on out i will always have rescue dogs. my rescue is a husky/chow/? mix. i love her.
if you are dead set on a pure bred i cannot recommend aussies enough. we have a miniature aussie who is the most intelligent, loyal, wonderful dog. i also have two corgis, which are great little dogs if you want a smaller dog.

I am partial to pit bulls, I've had them my whole life. My current dog is almost six years old and I have had her since a pup. I am a single mom and she is amazing with my son, she loves to have playdates with other dogs, she is very laid back and I wold dare say the epitome of what a well trained dog should be. I'm aware of the stigma that comes with bullies however I am an advocate, just saying don't count them out!

Who brings the cash to the house? If it is you, get a german shepherd. Show her who is the boss.

I had 2. Best dogs ever.

Rescue dogs are good too. I now have a rescue cat.

I wouldn't consider a Golden Retriever a rescue dog. They're great though. The only issue is that they shed (not unlike Shepards).

I've had 2 golden's and they're super great. The only thing is that they can be reasonably high energy, so it takes a COMMITMENT to excersise them or they can get pretty restless. Not the type of dog that should stay inside all day, everyday. That's like cruel and unusual punishment....

cf

I have just realized that a lot of you mofos don't know how to spell shepherd.

S H E P H E R D.

Not shepard.

Golden retrievers are wonderful -- I've had one all my life.

golden-retriever.jpg

Friendly, calm, and easy on the eyes. Good with kids. When bonded, they are very loyal / protective of their family (contrary to public opinion).

:laugh: Awsome! Looks just like my pooch.

Can't go wrong with a golden!

I agree. I grew up with a Golden Retreiver. Awesome dog, but very time consuming...

Yeah, my dog will STARE at me with those eyes that get extra intense when she gets cooped up too long. Then I know I NEED to take her for a nice run.

Can't emphasize enough that you need to excersise these dogs.

Breeding is important but please be careful of the puppy mills. I would really like to see you just check out your local dog shelter. If nothing suits you guys there then move on. Nothing breaks my heart more than an abandoned dog just begging for a home.

You could go straight to 2 dogs. One from the pound and one from a breeder. That way they will have a partner while you guys are away at work, school, vacation etc. I find 2 dogs to be perfect for everyone. They can entertain each other if you are too tired after work.

I agree. Sometimes I wish I would've gotten another one. But, when my pooch get's together with her brother (my own brothers dog), they're really happy and definitely amuse themselves. Basically they go friggin crazy!! LOL

It's probably less maintenance in the long run, and when push comes to shove, most dogs DO prefer the company of other dogs (even though our egos might not want to accept that....LOL)

cf

Hey Chica, what are you up to? how's "JD" ;)
how'd you guys enjoy the little mood music I put together?...

lol it was very nice thank you, and he is great as usual talking to him now as we speak, or type, or whatever:)

Is he named after Mike Singletary? I hope you get good news from the vet on your dog.

His name is actually, Rider. But Singletary is the name Jet gave him from the moment he saw that picture.

Thanks for the concern but the vet visit was not good, as I expected. Oh well life goes on and we will cherish our time with her.

I'm sorry to hear that Noy. We're
here if u need some additional support.
I've been through it. Again, sorry.
D712

His name is actually, Rider. But Singletary is the name Jet gave him from the moment he saw that picture.

Thanks for the concern but the vet visit was not good, as I expected. Oh well life goes on and we will cherish our time with her.

Bummer Noy. Sorry about the news.