My future dog - advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Married , one kid, young - all my life a german shepard owner - time is coming for another one...
My wife totally opposes an Akita, Dobermann or a german shepard.
What do you have or had and what is your favorite dog?
Irish wolfhound is great too...
Not a fan of rescue dogs.

A Dachshund. Or a Mini Dachshund :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Noy, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Having gone through similar situations in the past, I know that it must be heartbreaking. As you pointed out, enjoy the time that you have together and try to make her life as happy as possible. After all, its all about quality of life...

His name is actually, Rider. But Singletary is the name Jet gave him from the moment he saw that picture.

Thanks for the concern but the vet visit was not good, as I expected. Oh well life goes on and we will cherish our time with her.

Very sorry to hear that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have two dogs. One is a Golden Retriever/Lab Mix. We got him as a puppy and he lived his first three years in a little town house. Luckily we lived near a park so we went there twice a day to play frisbee (sometimes at 4am during my SICU month). Now he has a big backyard with a doggie door to the basement, but we still manage to go run a couple of times a week.

We decided he needed a friend, but it took awhile to agree on a dog. The husband wanted a Rhode (Ridgeback), and I wanted a Corgie. We compromised on a Beagle (rescue dog), who has been wonderful. We just didn't have time for the potty training, etc that comes along with a puppy, and it's just better to rescue a dog. Both are great dogs, great with kids (even though we don't have any). Only downside is that the Lab/Golden sheds like crazy since we can't shave him in the winter months. I feel like I lint-roll/vacuum his fur constantly....alas, it is a small price to pay.
(Picture below)
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 110
My lab does the same crap. Gets himself up on the sofa, lays his head on the pillow, even rolls over on his back. Spoiled.

Sorry about your buddy, Noyac.

How the heck do you add a picture on Scutwork/SDN without going thorugh a thumbnail attachment???:confused:

I just realized that most my pics are not updloading unless I attach them as thumbnails. Sorry. Hopefully these pics of my GSD will show up. O/W I give up. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Zeus 1.jpg
    Zeus 1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 93
  • Zeusling.jpg
    Zeusling.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
His name is actually, Rider. But Singletary is the name Jet gave him from the moment he saw that picture.

Thanks for the concern but the vet visit was not good, as I expected. Oh well life goes on and we will cherish our time with her.

Sorry:(

How do you guys arrange for your dogs to get walks and bathroom breaks during the day? Dog walker? Doggie Door? Someone at home?

Thank you guys - awesome dogs.
I will try to speak with this rescue shelter - http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/
Check it up - it is amazing...
Sorry for your dog Noy...
I'll let you know what I will get.
2win

You want a dog that will make you feel safe. One of these can tear human limbs off of an intruder's torso:

news-graphics-2008-_439124a.jpg

How do you guys arrange for your dogs to get walks and bathroom breaks during the day? Dog walker? Doggie Door? Someone at home?

I have a storm door with a dog door built into it leading to a fenced backyard. I couldnt do it without that.

You want a dog that will make you feel safe. One of these can tear human limbs off of an intruder's torso:

They are great "alarm" dogs - but the small ones in my experience are not so great with kids.
I am on the list for a maltese for my daughter so ....I made already a compromise...

Bluetick beagle... He has quite a personality and is a sweet little guy..

I love my beagle, and he is great with kids. They can pull his ears or pretty much anything, he just walks away when he is sick of it.

Only trouble is, it is hard to train beagles to ignore their hunting/sniffing instinct, so they are very hard to have as off-leash dogs in public. He comes when he's called in the house, yard, dog park, anywhere with a fence, but if he gets out the gate it becomes a big, new adventure, for both of us.

Love him though, and my black dog (lab mix) is great.

21543_1309536348244_1525651962_30806317_3130379_n.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great!
Regarding the picture - what I do is select all, copy and paste.
I don't know if this is the best way but seems that is working.

Hey Narc - this is what a dog means where I come from
Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog%5B1%5D.jpg

holycrapdog2.jpg

And 2 of the small ones will be mine - guess the breed:
mail

Last edited:
My inlaws have an Akita named Kuma (Japanese for bear) and he definately has a bear head. like this guy:

484-akita-1.jpg

I'd hate to clean up after those dogs 2win posted!!!

I hope that you behave nice with your wife :laugh:.
I had a friend and his girlfriend had an Akita. After they split - the dog became his biggest enemy!!! Seems that Akita is one person dog...
Awesome dog man!
Thx for the pic.

Last edited:
Man, Akita's are Kool. My friend has one that gets in fights all the time. Until he met my Boxer and the Wolf mix that's now sick. THat Akita would back down to both of them.

But they are very aggressive and protective dogs.

Man, Akita's are Kool. My friend has one that gets in fights all the time. Until he met my Boxer and the Wolf mix that's now sick. THat Akita would back down to both of them.

But they are very aggressive and protective dogs.

I love my beagle, and he is great with kids. They can pull his ears or pretty much anything, he just walks away when he is sick of it.

Only trouble is, it is hard to train beagles to ignore their hunting/sniffing instinct, so they are very hard to have as off-leash dogs in public. He comes when he's called in the house, yard, dog park, anywhere with a fence, but if he gets out the gate it becomes a big, new adventure, for both of us.

Navy - she's your daughter? Congrats officer!!!

Love this thread. :) And thanks to everyone that posted pics.
I have a dalmation - I love her. She's well-trained: will do the basics, heel, come, sit, play dead. She used to catch frisbees out of the air in her younger days, and would come with me on my runs. She's great with kids. But I have to say, she's the exception, I think, when it comes to dalmations. Other ones I've seen don't seem to have her temperment. She's 15yrs now, so I'll be looking for another dog in the next few yrs, so it was nice to read some of your recs.
And for anyone out there thinking of a dalmation, a little known fact is that they shed like crazy, all the time. My girl always looks white and clean, and it's because her fur is constantly being replaced.

Akita's are really cool dogs. They are mellow, strong, loyal. I almost got one. I like the blue eyed ones. Have you guys heard of the story of Hachiko? He is a national treasure in Japan. Check out his story. Pretty remarkable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

Hachiko.JPG

154775-hachiko-statue-shibuya-tokyo---famous-meeting-point-tokyo-japan.jpg

Last edited:
Love this thread. :) And thanks to everyone that posted pics.
I have a dalmation - I love her. She's well-trained: will do the basics, heel, come, sit, play dead. She used to catch frisbees out of the air in her younger days, and would come with me on my runs. She's great with kids. But I have to say, she's the exception, I think, when it comes to dalmations. Other ones I've seen don't seem to have her temperment. She's 15yrs now, so I'll be looking for another dog in the next few yrs, so it was nice to read some of your recs.
And for anyone out there thinking of a dalmation, a little known fact is that they shed like crazy, all the time. My girl always looks white and clean, and it's because her fur is constantly being replaced.

Have you thought of one of these??? I hear they don't shed much.:laugh:

worlds-strongest-dog.jpg

Life with a couple of beagles never gets old...:)
IMG_8999.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG
IMG_8802.JPG
IMG_87981.jpg
IMG_8791.JPG
IMG_9456.JPG

DropBox

Love this thread. I had a yellow lab for 12 years, she was a great dog. Really smart, really loyal. Planning on getting another dog when there would be someone at home enough to spend time with it.

My brother's got a great rescue sheltie?/huskie?/??? mix.

Obligatory photos:

wemblycropped.jpg

51815527063050083703774.jpg

Have you thought of one of these??? I hear they don't shed much.:laugh:

worlds-strongest-dog.jpg

Is this dog for real?! :eek:
Or is this like that ESPN commercial with the two guys hitting a ball back and forth in a tennis court with baseball bats?
I'm so gullible. :oops:

oops

Last edited:
Is this dog for real?! :eek:
Or is this like that ESPN commercial with the two guys hitting a ball back and forth in a tennis court with baseball bats?
I'm so gullible. :oops:

Totally for real. Genetic mutation. She happens to have 2 copies of the gene.

:laugh::laugh: I can imagine!

The lab? clearly thinks he's died and gone to heaven in that pic! LOL

Married , one kid, young - all my life a german shepard owner - time is coming for another one...
My wife totally opposes an Akita, Dobermann or a german shepard.
What do you have or had and what is your favorite dog?
Irish wolfhound is great too...
Not a fan of rescue dogs.

I grew up with a GSD and recently got one. I have two girls and he is great with them. The 5yo will hug him, pull his ears and everything and he takes it all in stride. When we go for walks he doesn't mind a kid coming by but is wary of an adult...uncanny. They are great with kids and I think your wife's fears are unfounded about this dog. Wonderful family companions.

English Springer Spaniel.

Be warned, they are full of energy and attitude. Mine is 5 years old and she still thinks she's a puppy.

I grew up with a GSD and recently got one. I have two girls and he is great with them. The 5yo will hug him, pull his ears and everything and he takes it all in stride. When we go for walks he doesn't mind a kid coming by but is wary of an adult...uncanny. They are great with kids and I think your wife's fears are unfounded about this dog. Wonderful family companions.

i have to second this. i grew up with a GSD. she was so good with us when we were kids. i treated her like a pony and played horse show -- put wraps on her and made her jump around everything in the back yard, painted her toe nails, tied ribbons in her hair. my brother pulled on her tail all the time, he was mean. she never ever once even thought about saying no... she was a truly wonderful dog, i miss her.