Nurse found guilty. Future legal precedent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ask myself the question: If any other living organism with opposable thumbs, basic English comprehension, and an ability to follow one stage commands was told to take this woman to CT; would she have been killed?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I woulda locked her up for 17 and a half months no possibility of parole. I would have given her the package insert of VECuronium and versed. When she is up for parole she would have to take a test. Then before she gets out she would have to write 10,000x on the prison black board I am not nursey independent, I am not nursey independent, I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent etc etc etc

• Okay...
  • Dislike
I woulda locked her up for 17 and a half months no possibility of parole. I would have given her the package insert of VECuronium and versed. When she is up for parole she would have to take a test. Then before she gets out she would have to write 10,000x on the prison black board I am not nursey independent, I am not nursey independent, I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent etc etc etc

Hahaha what?
And her career as a clinical nurse is over. Imagine being her patient and watching her walk in the room and introduce herself.

She's gonna make a living going around as a motivational speaker when this is all done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
not helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong call. She was/is 100% guilty of negligent homicide. This was a completely avoidable error that was a direct result of her hubris and indifference. Someone is dead because of her. And not just any death. Slowly suffocating to death, fully aware, with an inability to call out for help, in a hospital of all places… This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Parole is a joke. I’m not suggesting she get the death penalty. But this warrants real consequences. Not just a slap on the wrist.

Wrong call. She was/is 100% guilty of negligent homicide. This was a completely avoidable error that was a direct result of her hubris and indifference. Someone is dead because of her. And not just any death. Slowly suffocating to death, fully aware, with an inability to call out for help, in a hospital of all places… This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Parole is a joke. I’m not suggesting she get the death penalty. But this warrants real consequences. Not just a slap on the wrist.

im confident if a physician did this, it wouldnt just be a slap on the wrist

Reactions: 2 users
im confident if a physician did this, it wouldnt just be a slap on the wrist

There was an almost identical case in the 1990s. Medicine resident ordered vec for a patient getting an LP to “relax” him. Patient died. AFAIK, the resident faced zero legal consequences and was allowed to complete his residency. I believe it is possible to be criminally stupid but I don’t know if the law requires intent for it to be a crime.

There was an almost identical case in the 1990s. Medicine resident ordered vec for a patient getting an LP to “relax” him. Patient died. AFAIK, the resident faced zero legal consequences and was allowed to complete his residency. I believe it is possible to be criminally stupid but I don’t know if the law requires intent for it to be a crime.
I would have locked that nurse up for 17,5 months and made her write 10,000 times "I am not nursey independent", I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independentI am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent I am not nursey independent...

1990s? interesting. but have no idea what the legal environment is in the 1990s, especially with no social media

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe there is an inside joke that I am missing, but I don’t get the “nursey independent” thing.
Pretty sure this had nothing to do with independent practice of nursing and everything to do with her just being terrible at her job.

Maybe there is an inside joke that I am missing, but I don’t get the “nursey independent” thing.
Pretty sure this had nothing to do with independent practice of nursing and everything to do with her just being terrible at her job.
There is no inside joke, she thought she was independent which is why you have a dead body on your hands

She is a registered nurse doing bedside nursing. Not sure how any of this has to do with midlevel nursing
Bedside nursing is not giving versed (in this case Vecuronium) and walking away. Is it? Am I missing something? It was drilled into her head in nursing school that "you dont need no doctor " she hears "you dont need no man (male doctor)" "you're independent" So she thought they were right but sadly this case proves how wrong they were.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Bedside nursing is not giving versed (in this case Vecuronium) and walking away. Is it? Am I missing something? It was drilled into her head in nursing school that "you dont need no doctor " she hears "you dont need no man (male doctor)" "you're independent" So she thought they were right but sadly this case proves how wrong they were.
Wow, the victim mentality in you is strong, young padawan.
I can only infer you are a male physician, if I’m completely off base, then I apologize.
Did this post/trial ever discuss the sex or gender identity of the physician or even pharmacist? i didn’t realize she attended a bra-burning and then administered vecuronium. Your perception of her militant feminism is quite perplexing.

What are you talking about? Seriously are you saying this nurse needs to be constantly supervised by a doctor to ensure they don't make errors like this? Completely. Off. The. Mark.

What are you talking about? Seriously are you saying this nurse needs to be constantly supervised by a doctor to ensure they don't make errors like this? Completely. Off. The. Mark.
Option lives in some kind of parallel universe. I don't think he's actually visited our planet.

I wouldn't call a medication error by a trainee comparable (much less identical) to an error resulting from multiple overrides by a non-trainee, and deserving similar consequences. Or maybe you just meant the same drugs were mixed up with the same result?

I wouldn't call a medication error by a trainee comparable (much less identical) to an error resulting from multiple overrides by a non-trainee, and deserving similar consequences. Or maybe you just meant the same drugs were mixed up with the same result?
That said I’ve encountered trainees that made deadly medication errors that could be spun as criminally negligent on par with this case.

Do you know the details of this? I’d be curious to read more about it. I tried searching for news articles but couldn’t find anything

Do you know the details of this? I’d be curious to read more about it. I tried searching for news articles but couldn’t find anything
doubt you will ever find an article from that long ago

If you say it like that, of course! I don't want her unsupervised. Look at the result. A dead body.
bad things happen. this has nothing to do with nursing training. saying that this could have been prevented by more training or more supervision misses the mark about how this nurse was distracted and simply bypassed a series of well defined safety measures designed to prevent medication errors.