Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

My GPA...but low grades in major science classes.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ch0sen1, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

Closed

#1 ch0sen1, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. talkalot24

talkalot24 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you'll be fine, assuming you're not intent on going to Harvard and the like. Both GPAs are pretty solid, just continue to do well, and rock the MCAT.

4. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

Really? Thanks a lot. Does anybody else have anything else to comment

5. Optimus123

2+ Year Member

I am also a bioengineering major, it is definitely rough. Your GPA is not stellar, but it is solid, and I think if you couple it with a strong MCAT (which you likely will as a bioengineering student that has performed well) you will be juuuuust fine.

Good luck!

6. ACSurgeon

ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay, I was an BME undergrad, and I can tell you that a 3.5 is NOT solid. Anyways, adcoms do NOT care about your major. Further, your premed coursework is overall below average for med schools (and you can't blame that on engineering). So, unless you really do well on the MCAT (I mean above average because you WILL need to make up for the below-average preformance on your premed courses/below average GPA). You can call schools or email them and ask their opinions, but I think you should know the truth.

You might want to consider retaking some of those premed courses or taking higher level courses and proving that you can pull good grades in sciences classes.

Finally, you might want to get off your high horse and CONSIDER DO schools... they will make a doctor out of you. If you get into an MD school, great, if not (which is not too unlikely), you should have an anlternative plan (DO, a job, etc).

7. ACSurgeon

Attending Physician
    The last time I checked, getting mostly B's on pre-med courses wasn't considered "doing well." I like being optimistic, but he/she should also know what to expect.

8. JeetKuneDo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Isn't his gpa decent for lower tier (probably not the politically correct term) med schools?

9. JeetKuneDo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ah, nevermind, I saw the science gpa part as well. I'd say just work hard and raise your gpa to the potential 3.6. Nothing else you can do but work hard on the gpa and mcat.

10. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think you're doing fine with a 3.5 in that major! I'm a Biological/Chemical Engineering major and I understand how hard the course work can be. But you should do your best to make sure you do as well as you can for the rest of your college career. There are plenty of people with that GPA that get into med school...you just gotta have something special about you!

Unfortunately they don't really care what your major is until maybe at your interview, so you (and I) may have screwed yourself over by not being a poli sci or physical education major lol

11. ACSurgeon

Attending Physician
    While a 3.5 GPA is acceptable, the individual grades the OP has in pre-reqs are not. Engineering is a challenging major (although in my case my engineering A's were much easier to earn then in my humanities courses), but the OP has recieved some low grades in PREMED courses, that have NOTHING to do with engineering. Also, for all engineers out there, make sure you NEVER make a big deal about your major to adcoms (in essays or interviews) because chances are the doctors reading your application were NOT engineers, and might think you are arrogant or insulting their UG majors. With that said, some MIGHT think engineering is more challenging, but you should never be the one to emphasize that.

12. efitzpat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Well I'm here to tell you all hope is not lost. I got mostly Bs in my science classes, and even a B- and C+. I have 3 acceptances so far. They aren't "top" schools, but I really liked them and am very happy with my choices. Just try to rock the MCAT and make sure the rest of your app is srtong.

13. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

Lol I wish some of you who have doubts were in the biomedical engineering field of a strong engineering school, and maybe then you would understand. I have heard from the University of Utah medical school advisors that the U of U med school actually favors biomedical engineering students (especially from the U) because of the load of course work that is required..

Not to mention I have always worked, I have over 300+ hours if community service already, and have already successfully finished a research project, and plan to do more research.

14. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So if already got your answer then why are you asking us?

15. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

Lol, just because I have my own aspect on the situation(especially from what I know about the level of difficulty of going through a biomed. engineering bachelors), does that also mean I cannot ask for other peoples aspects as well?

I never expected certain people to be so oblivious towards how tough the engineering field is and that medical schools dont "care" about the major you select and the difficulty...

16. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

17. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You said you talked to advisors who gave you that advice so it's not just your own aspect you're going on. I would say advisors from the school you're interested would know more than us pre-meds. I would hope so.

I don't think any of us are oblivious to the difficulty of being an engineering major... which is why we chose against it. You had to have known that it was going to be difficult. If med school was your ultimate goal then maybe you should have chosen a different major?

Some schools will care, but most wont. This is only because for the most part it's a numbers game and schools what to have the highest average gpa and mcat they can get.