My Hawaii Experience

Started by kutastha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I've been interviewing in Hawaii for the past two days, and I must say, it's much nicer than the East Coast! 🙂 I don't know of many people on SDN who applied out here (other than Amy Beth), but I recommend it to everyone! I'm actually very impressed with their attention to the students and their learning. I discovered they went to the PBL several years ago because of financial concerns. In addition, just yesterday they were granted $150 million to build a brand new medical school in Honolulu harbor. Their new Dean is from Yale and is dedicated to growth of the medical school in research and they just started an MD/PhD program, which is aided by a $9.3 million grant from NIH. It reminds me a lot of USC a couple years ago, as they are trying to also build the reputation of the school. I must say, I'm sold. Although I think the only reason I got an interview here was due to a clerical error as Dr. Izutsu had on his form that I was Hawaiian 😕. I've heard a lot of rumors that this guy was intimidating and downright rough, but he was absolutely delightful. I'm very impressed and think that this is an outstanding school, with a committment for improvement. Plus, you can't beat the Hawaiian environment. Now, two days of rest and relaxation!

Andrew
 
I thought they very, very strictly only took people who had Hawaiian residency or some major tie to the state?
 
They told me it goes by a point system - everything, including Hawaiian ties, are taken into consideration, and given a value point. If you get a certain number, you qualify for an interview. I'm not sure if their mistake of thinking me Hawaiian played into the consideration though.

Andrew