My Impressions of the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umc27

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice while studying for the DAT.

I don't know if I have anything original to contribute to the forum, but I thought I might as well post my feeling/impressions about the real deal.

Biology - This section was a little bit easier than Topscore, but generally comparable. I'd say that the Kaplan Blue Book is good for everything except animal behavior, ecology, and taxonomy. For these subjects, I used the Cliff's Notes AP Biology study guide. It's very good for these sections. If you get a chance, read the cladistics chapter in your undergrad biology textbook.

General Chemistry - Much easier than Topscore. The info in the Kaplan Blue book is sufficient.

Organic Chemistry - Also much easier than Topscore. SN1, SN2, benzene chemistry, and carbonyl chemistry... know these things well. Trust me. Kaplan Blue Book is more than sufficient.

PAT - Harder than Topscore and Kaplan... I'm sure that I'm the 5000000th person to say this. However, I bought acethedat.com, and their PAT is harder than the real PAT, so it's a good prep. Angles weren't as bad as I was expecting. Pattern folding was difficult. If you do a lot of acethedat.com PAT tests, then the real thing will seem easier.

Reading - I had a moderately hard passage, and easy passage, and a very hard passage (in that order)... just to warn you, so you don't get caught off guard. I think time was the biggest issue in this section. I just read the passages and then answered the questions (no notes). But I'm a slower reader, so taking notes would make thing impossibly slow. Practice Topscore passages and you'll be allright.

Math - Pretty much like Topscore, but the problems were definately a little more time consuming (on average) than Topscore.

Miscellaneous - Definately bring some comfortable ear plugs. I brought some, but didn't use them at first because they had the ear muff things... but these put a lot of pressure on your head and was kinda giving me a headache... not worth it if you haven't practiced with them on. Just bring the ear plugs.

Probably the best advice I can give you is do as many practice test for the science section as possible, especially biology. I had seen a lot of questions before.

How I studied for the test: I studied hard for 6 weeks before the test. I used the Kaplan Blue Book for Biology and Orgo. I used Barron's for Gen Chem and Math. I also used the Cliffs Note's AP Bio study guide... it has tons of questions, definately a good investment. www.acethedat.com is good for the PAT and math, but not much else. Their sciences section is way too hard and has some questions that aren't even covered on the DAT, and their Reading section is too easy. But if you have fifty bucks and want extra PAT (and math) practice, then its worth it.

Feel free to ask me any questions... I should have a lot of free time on my hands now that the library isn't my primary residence.

Final thought: If you study hard, take as many pratice tests as you can get your hands on, and do well on Topscore, then the real test shouldn't be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I was anxiously waiting for it and it was helpful. I might ask you a few questions here and then on your PM, so check it. Thanks!! :)

umc27 said:
First, I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice while studying for the DAT.

I don't know if I have anything original to contribute to the forum, but I thought I might as well post my feeling/impressions about the real deal.

Biology - This section was a little bit easier than Topscore, but generally comparable. I'd say that the Kaplan Blue Book is good for everything except animal behavior, ecology, and taxonomy. For these subjects, I used the Cliff's Notes AP Biology study guide. It's very good for these sections. If you get a chance, read the cladistics chapter in your undergrad biology textbook.

General Chemistry - Much easier than Topscore. The info in the Kaplan Blue book is sufficient.

Organic Chemistry - Also much easier than Topscore. SN1, SN2, benzene chemistry, and carbonyl chemistry... know these things well. Trust me. Kaplan Blue Book is more than sufficient.

PAT - Harder than Topscore and Kaplan... I'm sure that I'm the 5000000th person to say this. However, I bought acethedat.com, and their PAT is harder than the real PAT, so it's a good prep. Angles weren't as bad as I was expecting. Pattern folding was difficult. If you do a lot of acethedat.com PAT tests, then the real thing will seem easier.

Reading - I had a moderately hard passage, and easy passage, and a very hard passage (in that order)... just to warn you, so you don't get caught off guard. I think time was the biggest issue in this section. I just read the passages and then answered the questions (no notes). But I'm a slower reader, so taking notes would make thing impossibly slow. Practice Topscore passages and you'll be allright.

Math - Pretty much like Topscore, but the problems were definately a little more time consuming (on average) than Topscore.

Miscellaneous - Definately bring some comfortable ear plugs. I brought some, but didn't use them at first because they had the ear muff things... but these put a lot of pressure on your head and was kinda giving me a headache... not worth it if you haven't practiced with them on. Just bring the ear plugs.

Probably the best advice I can give you is do as many practice test for the science section as possible, especially biology. I had seen a lot of questions before.

How I studied for the test: I studied hard for 6 weeks before the test. I used the Kaplan Blue Book for Biology and Orgo. I used Barron's for Gen Chem and Math. I also used the Cliffs Note's AP Bio study guide... it has tons of questions, definately a good investment. www.acethedat.com is good for the PAT and math, but not much else. Their sciences section is way too hard and has some questions that aren't even covered on the DAT, and their Reading section is too easy. But if you have fifty bucks and want extra PAT (and math) practice, then its worth it.

Feel free to ask me any questions... I should have a lot of free time on my hands now that the library isn't my primary residence.

Final thought: If you study hard, take as many pratice tests as you can get your hands on, and do well on Topscore, then the real test shouldn't be an issue.