This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptoMra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was searching for interview threads and I was thinking that threads like "Class of 2024" are really helpful. You just can go there and find much information from different students, and also share your information with others, therefore enriching the body of the thread more and more.
But interview comments are on different threads and it may take time to find what you are looking for.

Let's share your experience about your interview with SUNY on this page, to have organized information which can be helpful for us and future pre-optometry students.

OAT scores:
GPA
:
Date OptomCAS verified:
SUNY Interviews extended/date:
SUNY Interviews accepted:
SUNY Acceptance/date:
Explain your interview with SUNY:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS verified: 7/17/2019
SUNY Interviews extended/date: 7/19/2019
SUNY Interviews accepted:
9/12/2019
SUNY Acceptance/date:
9/12/2019
My experience interviewing at SUNY was definitely way more laid backed then I thought it would be! How it works is there are three other interviewers that day and from 9:30-11:30 you each individually interview for thirty minutes. You get your interview over with early on in the day and for the rest of the day you just chat with current students, go on a tour, eat lunch, and listen to a few presentations. During the actual interview, the interviewers really tried to make me feel as relaxed as possible. They were all very nice and none of the questions were grilling on grades or anything, they really are just trying to get to know you. Overall it was a great experience

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS verified: 7/17/2019
SUNY Interviews extended/date: 7/19/2019
SUNY Interviews accepted: 9/12/2019
SUNY Acceptance/date: 9/12/2019
Explain your interview with SUNY: My experience interviewing at SUNY was definitely way more laid backed then I thought it would be! How it works is there are three other interviewers that day and from 9:30-11:30 you each individually interview for thirty minutes. You get your interview over with early on in the day and for the rest of the day you just chat with current students, go on a tour, eat lunch, and listen to a few presentations. During the actual interview, the interviewers really tried to make me feel as relaxed as possible. They were all very nice and none of the questions were grilling on grades or anything, they really are just trying to get to know you. Overall it was a great experience

Did you get your acceptance from SUNY on the day of your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS verified: 08/01/19
SUNY Interviews extended/date: 08/21/19
SUNY Interviews accepted: 09/23/19
SUNY Acceptance/date: 09/23/19

Similar to what preoptjess said, but we started our day with a brief information session that covered the basics of what the school offered which only took about 15-20 minutes. After, we were taken to a separate room to decompress and talk to our fellow interviewees. I scheduled to be the first one so it was definitely a little nerve racking at first but as soon as the doctors introduced themselves I felt completely at ease again. They really just asked a bunch of questions to get to know me better as a person. They didn't address my individual scores except a quick praise on how much they improved and how my perceptions have changed over time. They aren't there to grill you, just making sure you're not crazy haha. We actually had a long convo about my background in badminton and what it was like for me growing up in HK! Afterwards I went back out and everyone else went their turn. We had a student ambassador sit with us while we waited and they told us about their experience at the school (shout out to Omar he's awesome). The day concluded with a tour and a small lunch, it wasn't bad or scary at all!

Reactions: 1 user

Similar to what preoptjess said, but we started our day with a brief information session that covered the basics of what the school offered which only took about 15-20 minutes. After, we were taken to a separate room to decompress and talk to our fellow interviewees. I scheduled to be the first one so it was definitely a little nerve racking at first but as soon as the doctors introduced themselves I felt completely at ease again. They really just asked a bunch of questions to get to know me better as a person. They didn't address my individual scores except a quick praise on how much they improved and how my perceptions have changed over time. They aren't there to grill you, just making sure you're not crazy haha. We actually had a long convo about my background in badminton and what it was like for me growing up in HK! Afterwards I went back out and everyone else went their turn. We had a student ambassador sit with us while we waited and they told us about their experience at the school (shout out to Omar he's awesome). The day concluded with a tour and a small lunch, it wasn't bad or scary at all!
Thank you very much for your informative response. May I ask how many interviewers did you have?
Did they interview you separately? or all of them sit together and you answered their questions at the same time?
And my last question; How long was the interview process?

Thank you very much for your informative response. May I ask how many interviewers did you have?
Did they interview you separately? or all of them sit together and you answered their questions at the same time?
And my last question; How long was the interview process?
No problem! And it was 3 for me but SUNY always does three for everyone in general. They all interviewed me at once and took turns asking questions, it was very conversational. Just imagine talking to a group of friends. My interview was 30 minutes and so was everyone else!

Date OptomCAS verified: 9/10/2019 (submitted 8/27, but coursework officially verified 9/10)
SUNY Interviews extended/date: 9/12/2019
SUNY Interviews accepted: 9/26/19
SUNY Acceptance/date: 9/27/19
Explain your interview with SUNY: I had a great interview day at SUNY. It sounds nerve-wracking to have a panel interview, but the interviewers genuinely want to get to know you. There were 3 interviewers on my panel, all optometrists and faculty at the school. They didn't ask me any trick questions; they were mostly from my application. I think they asked me about 6 questions, but it felt as though we were having a conversation, and the last 5 minutes were spent with me asking them questions. Like everyone else said, the day starts with a 30 min intro to the school, and then each interviewee has 30 minutes with the panel. The rest of the day is spent speaking with current students about their school experience, touring, learning about housing, financial aid, eating lunch with them, etc. Just take a deep breath walking into it, confidently stand behind what you wrote on your application, and relax! They're already impressed by your application, so you don't have to fake it and try super hard to get them to like you.

Hey! I have my interview coming up next week as well. I was just wondering did they send you an acceptance email the day of or did that let you know of your acceptance in person?

Hi guys,
Did you have to write an essay on your interview day?