My job is conflicting with my interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

I am a dental assistant for the dental department of a large FQHC. I was a volunteer a few months ago and the dental director who is faculty at two dental schools was nice enough to hire me and write me a LOR. I thought they would understand that I have dental interviews coming up and they would allow me to take all the time I needed to attend them.

I currently have 5 interviews and expecting more. I think they didn't expect me to get so many. They now tell me that I will have to use my benefit time, or else I would lose my job. The director was in the room when I was talking to the manager about this and she basically was like "you'll make it work" and "you need to learn how to manage your time for dental school". They basically want me to come to work, fly out in the afternoon (After 5pm) arrive in NY, AZ, or UNE at 11-12 at night, go to the interview in the morning, then fly straight back, arriving 1-2AM in time for work in the morning.

While I believe this would be possible, I feel like the tolerance for time is too restrictive for my comfort. More importantly, being a dental assistant is an energy consuming job, and I don't want to work a whole shift, get on a plane and go straight to my interview jet lagged and exhausted. Even if I did go straight to the airport after work and back to the clinic from the airport, I would still BARELY have enough benefit time to cover my interviews. If I am offered anymore, I don't think I have enough time for the 6th interview.

On the other hand, I feel like I have an obligation to the dental director for taking a chance on me. Our clinic is a rotation site for two dental schools, a residency site for an AEGD program, and I was able to receive LOR from dental school faculty . I know that working here is a huge reason I am being offered interviews. I want to repay them by being a good employee, and I really don't want to leave under these circumstances.

Please advise...what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Leave if it means sacrificing your dental school interviews. My dental office was extremely accommodating.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the schools that you are most interested in clumped into those five?

Members don't see this ad :)
Leave if it means sacrificing your dental school interviews. My dental office was extremely accommodating.

I thought my dental office would be too. I don't know if I would be sacrificing my interviews because I could still make them. I probably won't be at 100% though.

Dang, tough situation. When I receive interviews, I'll tell my office to schedule light that day because I'll be gone. Some offices are pretty flexible, others not so much. I hope you get it sorted out. I personally wouldn't want to miss any interviews. That'll leave you with the thought of "What if" if you declined an interview.

Call in sick!

Call in sick!
If only it were that easy. My benefit time includes sick days, personal time, vacation days. 5 interviews all over the country means I need 10 days off in September and October.

Well at this point I am interested in all 5 schools. My top choice hasn't responded yet.
Yeah I guess that makes sense, lol. I am stressing about the same thing, I have around 8 work days of PTO accrued thus far and I'm worried one day my PI is just gonna reject my request. Have a formal sit down with your manager and discuss the situation clearly and completely. Explain how you're stressed about the narrow timeframe you have, etc.. If by then they still won't budge, you'll probably just have to tough it out.

Did your manager or director tell you that "you'll make it work" or "you'll need to learn how to manage your time in dental school?"

That's what I had to do for my interviews. I left right after work, flew in at night, interviewed, left immediately, and was back at work the next day. Sure I was tired for a couple of a days, but I didn't have the option of quitting my job. It sucks but it's doable.

Did your manager or director tell you that "you'll make it work" or "you'll need to learn how to manage your time in dental school?"

The director. She's also a dentist, faculty at two dental schools, and AEGD site director.

That's what I had to do for my interviews. I left right after work, flew in at night, interviewed, left immediately, and was back at work the next day. Sure I was tired for a couple of a days, but I didn't have the option of quitting my job. It sucks but it's doable.
Would you say it placed you at a disadvantage during the interview? I feel like I won't be at 100% if I go this route, I know I can do it though.