My job is very chill and I have a lot of free time on the job, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i use to do work regarding other things. or work on CEs. that's how i've been spending my free time here. but lately i've decided to watch an entire anime from start to finish, around 35 episodes. did it all while at work. not surprising since i work 11-12 hour shifts with a lot of downtime. since i finished that anime though i now don't have anything to do

should i just start watching random films on netflix? i can't think of anything else to do but binge movies and tv shows. life is boring

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should build a better relationship with your supervisor.

Reactions: 8 users
You should build a better relationship with your supervisor.
the relationship is ok. i must mention that the only people that i have "rocky" relationships with are people that others have difficult relationships with as well. i've confirmed this by hearing people gossiping and speaking about such people. this is what happens when you act like a **** stain at work, the general public talks about it and quickly realizes who has sticks up their ass

Members don't see this ad :)
Do more than what is asked of you, find ways to get better, get an additional certification, help your coworkers.

Start there.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Read a whole newspaper and do the crossword puzzle?

should i just turn on netflix and let the movies run? rly nothing better to do, my co-workers are doing youtube videos today

Enjoy it because your employer will soon realize that they can replace your whole team with half the number of new grads for cheaper.

Reactions: 4 users
Enjoy it because your employer will soon realize that they can replace your whole team with half the number of new grads for cheaper.
meh, everyone here gets way too high to even notice or care tbh. cannabis will do that to ya

Posts like this are why physicians are confused when we say we can round with their services, see their patients in clinics, or recommend something different from what they are thinking. Why even come onto this forum and vent about being fired etc. in your other posts if you are just gonna ask people whether you should watch Netflix at work?

You can do so many things, here are a few:
  • Certificate programs, board certifications, additional credentials
  • Listen to pharmacy or healthcare podcasts
  • Do additional CEs
  • Contribute to your actual job/business
  • Learn more computer skills e.g. advanced Microsoft Office or other programs you use
  • Do research or other writing/publications
  • Join or contribute to advocacy or organization efforts
You have a wealth of drug knowledge, regardless of whether your employer currently utilizes it, and can choose to put it to use to make people's lives better.

Reactions: 10 users
Posts like this are why physicians are confused when we say we can round with their services, see their patients in clinics, or recommend something different from what they are thinking. Why even come onto this forum and vent about being fired etc. in your other posts if you are just gonna ask people whether you should watch Netflix at work?

You can do so many things, here are a few:
  • Certificate programs, board certifications, additional credentials
  • Listen to pharmacy or healthcare podcasts
  • Do additional CEs
  • Contribute to your actual job/business
  • Learn more computer skills e.g. advanced Microsoft Office or other programs you use
  • Do research or other writing/publications
  • Join or contribute to advocacy or organization efforts
You have a wealth of drug knowledge, regardless of whether your employer currently utilizes it, and can choose to put it to use to make people's lives better.
some days you wanna just kick back like a sack of ****. i decided to do some CEs. may do netflix later, we'll see

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
there's rly nothing to do tbh. when you're stuck at work for 12 hours straight with nothing to do, then you turn to netflix

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I prefer audiobooks although I admit I have started getting hooked on YouTube video essays.
have you done any netflix at work? i would try it out, pick a couple movies that look cool and just let them run

Ever heard of something called internet? From what I hear, it`s full of stuffs

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
have you done any netflix at work? i would try it out, pick a couple movies that look cool and just let them run

Personally I think it looks too unprofessional. That’s why I like audiobooks, it’s almost impossible to even notice I am listening to them.

If you truly have nothing to do, why not work on establishing a side business in your down time? Buying/selling things online, studying for an online course or licensure, and programming/app development can all be done while sitting at your desk and appearing to be working diligently.

i use to do work regarding other things. or work on CEs. that's how i've been spending my free time here. but lately i've decided to watch an entire anime from start to finish, around 35 episodes. did it all while at work. not surprising since i work 11-12 hour shifts with a lot of downtime. since i finished that anime though i now don't have anything to do

should i just start watching random films on netflix? i can't think of anything else to do but binge movies and tv shows. life is boring

Learn another language, preferably Spanish or Chinese, this will make you more desirable in retail pharmacy should you need to find another job.

Learn to code since you're on your laptop all day.

Or come up with your own work projects that show initiative. Last summer I had some free time, so I did a bit of coding (self-taught) that greatly streamlined a couple of the processes for our little group. Now we generally have more free time than before and have more uniformity in our decision making. Win-win.

Might want to invest your downtime in looking for a more sustainable job because something definitely does not seem right. Also the possibility of getting clean as others have alluded to; OP's history of troublesome posts

If you have that much down time, think of ways to help grow the business. Present ideas to the manager, and ask if theres anything else besides just your basic responsibilities he/she would like you to do. Think of low cost ways to possibly advertise and get the word out on your store. Also look into reaching out to the local community as well.

It will help maintain a good relationship as well as make you more of an asset to your store. Or watch Bleach....theres like 10,000 episodes of that anime floating around.

You guys are ******ed for treating OP as a non-troll.

The actual point was to brag about a sinecure

some days you wanna just kick back like a sack of ****. i decided to do some CEs. may do netflix later, we'll see
I agree- 30 years of "helping people" (LOL) in a retail sweatshop and I'm not afraid to abuse downtime anymore. I work LTC as a night shift RPh which is a shift no one wants so not too afraid of being replaced. And i do get my "choses" done first. Of course there is always a chance the whole pharmacy closes- always a danger in LTC. I waste some time here on SDN reading all about the doom and gloom. I also bought a "Kindle Unlimited" subscription so I read a lot- easily pays for itself if you read fast. Streaming video is kind of pushing it IMO. I do CEs occasionally. Surf the net. Participate in blogs here and there. That's all that comes to mind. Should be sufficient unless you have an obscene amount of downtime....

Didn't you just have a thread were you were on the verge of being fired? Maybe that didn't have anything to do with you watching Netflix, but I doubt the Netflix is helping.

Didn't you just have a thread were you were on the verge of being fired? Maybe that didn't have anything to do with you watching Netflix, but I doubt the Netflix is helping.
That wasn’t this job. At this job they’re just a license and a pulse.

• Haha
I agree- 30 years of "helping people" (LOL) in a retail sweatshop and I'm not afraid to abuse downtime anymore. I work LTC as a night shift RPh which is a shift no one wants so not too afraid of being replaced. And i do get my "choses" done first. Of course there is always a chance the whole pharmacy closes- always a danger in LTC. I waste some time here on SDN reading all about the doom and gloom. I also bought a "Kindle Unlimited" subscription so I read a lot- easily pays for itself if you read fast. Streaming video is kind of pushing it IMO. I do CEs occasionally. Surf the net. Participate in blogs here and there. That's all that comes to mind. Should be sufficient unless you have an obscene amount of downtime....

Just curious, in the LTC pharmacy field, do you know how competitive the overnight positions are? I see that in your post you said that basically nobody wants to work that shift, but would a new grad have a hard time getting an overnight LTC pharmacist job with your company?

Nobody is ever too high to not read their P&L statements correctly. Pharmacists are extremely high liabilities on payroll.
you'd be surprised, ever hung out with ppl who get blitzed and blasted on the regular? it's a diff world
Just curious, in the LTC pharmacy field, do you know how competitive the overnight positions are? I see that in your post you said that basically nobody wants to work that shift, but would a new grad have a hard time getting an overnight LTC pharmacist job with your company?
don't do LTC, do marijuana job. it's much better

That wasn’t this job. At this job they’re just a license and a pulse.

There was a thread about this job where he had the "talk" with his supervisor who he said had a stick up his ass. So that's two separate jobs where he had the "talk" within a few months of each other.

When I was hired I know they interviewed 5 others, some had done residencies. They said they got a lot of applicants, I assume in the hundreds. I knew someone so I got lucky. I also did overnights at CVS so I think that helped.

I can see OP crying after losing his job soon... good luck OP. May the farce be with you.

There was a thread about this job where he had the "talk" with his supervisor who he said had a stick up his ass. So that's two separate jobs where he had the "talk" within a few months of each other.

When I was hired I know they interviewed 5 others, some had done residencies. They said they got a lot of applicants, I assume in the hundreds. I knew someone so I got lucky. I also did overnights at CVS so I think that helped.

Dang, so residency-trained pharmacists are applying for LTC positions now? I guess the competition for just about any pharmacist job really is stiff these days.

Dang, so residency-trained pharmacists are applying for LTC positions now? I guess the competition for just about any pharmacist job really is stiff these days.

Yes it didn't even help them get hired where I work LoL.

TLDR isn’t this the guy who got let go from Wags and got a talking to from his new boss?

• Love
We had considered a 7 on 7 off scenario here. No one (0) responded to any of our ads. Despite the saturation, the snowflakes are very choosy around here. Every one cringes when you say "night shift", but I love working at night personally.....

Oh- and the last job I had (my first overnight position) they had wanted to start an overnight shift for over a YEAR. They advertised on indeed and some other online sources. And I was the first applicant who met their criteria who accepted the position. And the pay/benefits- while slightly less than retail- were not terrible. But I would have taken anything to get out of retail by that point. Not sure why no one was applying if there is such a surplus unless "overnight" really has a stigma....

Buy a massage chair at work where you can relax and sleep at work and enjoy at home life. and get paid.

We had considered a 7 on 7 off scenario here. No one (0) responded to any of our ads. Despite the saturation, the snowflakes are very choosy around here. Every one cringes when you say "night shift", but I love working at night personally.....

That's surprising. I've wanted an overnight 7on7off position ever since I started pharmacy school. The thought of traveling every other week was amazing.

Ironically enough, a 7 on/7 off overnight position is my ideal pharmacist job (graduating in May). I know it sounds weird, but everything about third shift just appeals to me. I'm in the process of applying to residency programs, but if I don't match somewhere, I'll apply to third shift positions posted all over the country. Heck, I'll probably start doing that anyways.

Ironically enough, a 7 on/7 off overnight position is my ideal pharmacist job (graduating in May). I know it sounds weird, but everything about third shift just appeals to me. I'm in the process of applying to residency programs, but if I don't match somewhere, I'll apply to third shift positions posted all over the country. Heck, I'll probably start doing that anyways.

It's great as long as it's not a madhouse until midnight-1am which some pharmacies are.
-night differential
-no drama
-quieter
-down time
-time to eat + pee
-only work half the year
-taking one week off = 3 week vacation

Cons:
-it can still be crazy busy when you're alone
-lose every other weekend
-have to adjust sleep schedule. Sometimes it can be hard to sleep during the day
-higher risk of cancer
-your rotation may fall on Thanksgiving/Christmas 6 years in a row
-dayshift may think you do nothing and sleep all night

How is this thread not closed yet lol? Stop feeding this troll.

I'm usually trolling on Reddit or watching Youtube or Prime Video. Night shift at my place is like it'll be calm for 2 hours straight with nothing to do, and then it'll all turn to hell in a second when the nurses start calling all at the same time about different issues.

Do not talk about it. When day shift arrives and ask me how my night was, I tell them "brutal, nonstop admissions, phone wouldn't stop ringing, nurses demanding that I mix things that they can mix themselves".

Once you tell management that you're having a chill time, they start thinking about taking away technicians or if a technician calls out sick, it won't be a priority to find coverage. Then they start thinking about adding additional duties for you to do.

I do tell them that during downtime I'm working on a pet project about infectious disease drugs in the hope that we make things like Vanco/Gent dosing and trough/peak ordering up to the discretion of pharmacy. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing the admitting doctors starting everybody on Vanco 1 gram daily regardless of CrCl, weight, BMI, age, etc.

Other day there was this 400 lb guy and the doctor ordered just 1 gram q12, I'm like dude, he needs 1.5 grams q8 at the least.

Last edited: