My Last Lawsuit - OR - RustedFox and Morty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lawyers on both sides do not care about right vs wrong. One side wants to settle for the most they can get and the other settle for the least. There typically is a number where both are happy.

Yep, my wife does non-med mal insurance defense. She'll settle cases at the drop of the hat if she thinks she can settle for less than the cost to defend. It's a money game more than anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
But why does this read like something written by Samuel Shem?
because this IS the HOUSE OF FOX.

(I actually thought the same but wasn't going mention it. Heh.)
In fact, I'm sure he has 10 rules too, but it stars with BOOMERS GO TO WALMARTS, or something like that.

No wait,
The first rule is that...
The number one source of burnout is the patient.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
because this IS the HOUSE OF FOX.

(I actually thought the same but wasn't going mention it. Heh.)
In fact, I'm sure he has 10 rules too, but it stars with BOOMERS GO TO WALMARTS, or something like that.

No wait,
The first rule is that...
The number one source of burnout is the patient.

Now there's an idea...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just dropped from a case where the allegation was "you didn't do x."

I very clearly did x, the documentation said I did x, however myself and a whole gaggle of docs were named, who also did x.

My attorney said I did x.

Took two years to get dropped.

I've been told through official channels that a family tried to sue me and a few other EM doctors for repeatedly successfully saving their mother's life and forcing her to stay in the hospital (despite her NUMEROUS, sometimes successful, attempts to abscond) and get her life threatening MI treated. She ended up dying of a pure surgical complication 3-4 days after admission. Apparently hospital legal and the specific attorney who declined to take the case are buddies and talked. The family loved the anesthesiologist who killed the patient, loved the surgeon who recommended the unnecessary surgery be done during the stay for a cardiac issue, and loved the IM doctor who cleared her for anaesthesia to get a chronic issue addressed in the aftermath of a pretty hefty NSTEMI. They were adamant that none of those people be named, but that the three EM doctors who had to repeatedly chase down grandma in the parking lot and have family bring her back in kicking and screaming be sued because they didn't like us. Why? Because we wanted to treat her NSTEMI rather than "just give me my xanax so I can go." And mind you - she got ativan each time she was here, just never enough for her taste because she has a 3mg tid klonopin habit and still burns through the prescription in half the time she should. The attorney flat out refused - not because their logic to go after the ED was idiotic, even though it was - but because they wouldn't sue the people who were clearly the easy targets and possibly deserved it.

I dodged that bullet based on the family going to the only ethical malpractice attorney I've ever heard of in South Florida. But the entire basis of the suit was that she died and she didn't like me. Literally no medical basis.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Who said this? It's a classic:

I've been sued, and I've committed malpractice, but I've never been sued for committing malpractice

• Hmm
Reactions: 12 users
I've been told through official channels that a family tried to sue me and a few other EM doctors for repeatedly successfully saving their mother's life and forcing her to stay in the hospital (despite her NUMEROUS, sometimes successful, attempts to abscond) and get her life threatening MI treated. She ended up dying of a pure surgical complication 3-4 days after admission. Apparently hospital legal and the specific attorney who declined to take the case are buddies and talked. The family loved the anesthesiologist who killed the patient, loved the surgeon who recommended the unnecessary surgery be done during the stay for a cardiac issue, and loved the IM doctor who cleared her for anaesthesia to get a chronic issue addressed in the aftermath of a pretty hefty NSTEMI. They were adamant that none of those people be named, but that the three EM doctors who had to repeatedly chase down grandma in the parking lot and have family bring her back in kicking and screaming be sued because they didn't like us. Why? Because we wanted to treat her NSTEMI rather than "just give me my xanax so I can go." And mind you - she got ativan each time she was here, just never enough for her taste because she has a 3mg tid klonopin habit and still burns through the prescription in half the time she should. The attorney flat out refused - not because their logic to go after the ED was idiotic, even though it was - but because they wouldn't sue the people who were clearly the easy targets and possibly deserved it.

I dodged that bullet based on the family going to the only ethical malpractice attorney I've ever heard of in South Florida. But the entire basis of the suit was that she died and she didn't like me. Literally no medical basis.
This reminds me to be nice to patients as they often sue based on whether they like the clinical interaction rather than the facts

Reactions: 1 user