RustedFox Rants: Tampa is a Mess.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
RUSTEDFOX RANTS: TAMPA IS A MESS.

Mrs. Fox and I wanted to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary, so we drove to Tampa and got a table at a restaurant that Mrs. Fox says "is sure to win a Michelin star in the coming year". The food was really great, but the trip was marred by Tampa's increasingly liberal bent, which is just ruining the city experience and turning it into "The New Portland".

Here was the plan: Drive to hotel, check in, have early snack at good Mexican restaurant, head to a pinball arcade that we have been to about 8 or so times in the recent past, play pinball, drive back to hotel (not far), change into formal wear, drive to dinner, eat dinner, return to hotel, wake up in AM and hit up the highest-end breakfast joint that I have ever been to.

We checked in at hotel (new to us) and asked where we should park the car. Parking is in the lot on the adjacent block, which has been turned into a de-facto homeless camp. Mrs. Fox asked: "What is that lady doing; sitting indian-style facing a corner?" - She's cooking her heroin, dear. We had to circle the lot once or twice because "situational awareness" and then saw her totally napped out on the same spot. She was breathing. I could tell. Mrs. F said to me: "Don't you get involved like you did with that guy when we were in New Orleans." I didn't. Parked the car. Opened the door. The lovely smell of both fresh and day-old human excrement everywhere. I put Mrs. Fox back in the car, drove her to the hotel, dropped her off, and drove back to park the car myself. Grimes was still napping off last I drove by.

So we checked in, dropped our gear, and went for tacosnack and pinball. The arcade that we knew would have our favorite tables (Medieval Madness and Iron Maiden tables FTW) is now a hangout for freaks of all varieties, and the immistakable smell of weed is everywhere. IT SAYS SOMETHING WHEN THE CLEANEST AIR IS IN THE BATHROOMS. I go in to take a pee, and those :72 seconds were the cleanest-breathing seconds of that part of the trip.

I'm playing Attack from Mars on one end of a row of tables. Mrs. F is down at the other, trying her hand at Godzilla. I hear her whimper: "Russs-tyyy..." in a tone that I understand means: "Helllp. Me." I look up and see that StoneyMcLimpWrist is too wasted to realize that he's standing uncomfortably close to Mrs. F; actually pitched OVER the playfield, hands-on-cabinet, watching the table, caught in a terminal stare, chewing on the metal posts of his bottom-lip-piercings. Mrs. F is too polite to say - "Back up, smelly", so this was her way of calling me over to regulate.

Friendly: "Hey bro. You're over the playfield. Let the gal see so she can make her shots."

No response; he just continued staring and chewing metal.

Firm: "BRO! Pay attention, amigo. Back up; she can't see the playfield."

Slow look. Localizes stimuli.

Eff Around And Find Out: "HEY! FREAKSHOW! [*thud of my flat palm on the side of the display cabinet*] BACK UP." The metal of my wedding band made an extra loud snap on the cabinet; similar to that popping sound that a pinball table makes when you earn a replay with a good score.

"Aged Out of HotTopic" jumped up and crossed his arms over his chest, fingertips under his armpits before blinking twice, looking at me confusedly, and slinking away. MightyManager (he knows me from prior visits) came over to referee. I told him what was up. Mac sighed before saying: "Yeah, we've had a problem with these guys lately." Before anyone asks; I had the takedown drawn up in my head long before "Find Out"; grab the arm that came at me across the table with my opposite arm, and pull it towards me, pinning him against the cabinet and offering me an unobstructed shot at a confusing blow and a good hold.

We had planned on staying longer and popping more tokens into Cactus Canyon, but the weedstench and the comings-and-goings of malnourished SoyBoys became too much for us to tolerate.

Back to the hotel. Those stupid eScooters are just haphazardly thrown about the streets everywhere downtown, abandoned and looking forlorned. A quick Clark Kent and I'm looking like I belong in a Bond film, if I do say so myself. Dinner was fantastic. Four courses, but the arancini stole the show, if you ask me. Pay the tab, back to Parking Lot of Uncertainty. I circle the block once or twice, and hit a curb because SkinnyFlannel obliviously walked off of the curb and into traffic. *BAMF*. Parked the car. Hotel. Sleep.

Woke up and got out. Passenger-side-front tire is flat because I spared SkinnyFlannel from being a trauma alert last night. I exhaled and looked around; garbage blowing all around me. Faintly, a harmonica played in the distance.

"Let's go eat breakfast, Rus. We're not coming back here."

I have a spare and the know-how. Thanks, Dad. You did good. We're not coming back here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Ha a good read. Have you read Tim Dorsey? Your style and narrative reminded me of Triggerfish Twist.

What’s the soon-to-be Michelin star restaurant?

Reactions: 1 user
Ha a good read. Have you read Tim Dorsey? Your style and narrative reminded me of Triggerfish Twist.

What’s the soon-to-be Michelin star restaurant?

I don't know the name; but I'll google him and have a look.

"OLIVIA" is the soon-to-be Michelin star restaurant. It was better than "Knife and Spoon" (Michelin Star), which we ate at earlier this year.
"Oxford Exchange" is the breakfast joint. Far too easy to drop 100+ bucks on breakfast. Also, absolutely worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This reads like a Napoleon Dynamite Uncle Rico story

Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Fox and I wanted to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary, so we drove to Tampa and got a table at a restaurant that Mrs. Fox says "is sure to win a Michelin star in the coming year". The food was really great, but the trip was marred by Tampa's increasingly liberal bent, which is just ruining the city experience and turning it into "The New Portland".

Here was the plan: Drive to hotel, check in, have early snack at good Mexican restaurant, head to a pinball arcade that we have been to about 8 or so times in the recent past, play pinball, drive back to hotel (not far), change into formal wear, drive to dinner, eat dinner, return to hotel, wake up in AM and hit up the highest-end breakfast joint that I have ever been to.

We checked in at hotel (new to us) and asked where we should park the car. Parking is in the lot on the adjacent block, which has been turned into a de-facto homeless camp. Mrs. Fox asked: "What is that lady doing; sitting indian-style facing a corner?" - She's cooking her heroin, dear. We had to circle the lot once or twice because "situational awareness" and then saw her totally napped out on the same spot. She was breathing. I could tell. Mrs. F said to me: "Don't you get involved like you did with that guy when we were in New Orleans." I didn't. Parked the car. Opened the door. The lovely smell of both fresh and day-old human excrement everywhere. I put Mrs. Fox back in the car, drove her to the hotel, dropped her off, and drove back to park the car myself. Grimes was still napping off last I drove by.

So we checked in, dropped our gear, and went for tacosnack and pinball. The arcade that we knew would have our favorite tables (Medieval Madness and Iron Maiden tables FTW) is now a hangout for freaks of all varieties, and the immistakable smell of weed is everywhere. IT SAYS SOMETHING WHEN THE CLEANEST AIR IS IN THE BATHROOMS. I go in to take a pee, and those :72 seconds were the cleanest-breathing seconds of that part of the trip.

I'm playing Attack from Mars on one end of a row of tables. Mrs. F is down at the other, trying her hand at Godzilla. I hear her whimper: "Russs-tyyy..." in a tone that I understand means: "Helllp. Me." I look up and see that StoneyMcLimpWrist is too wasted to realize that he's standing uncomfortably close to Mrs. F; actually pitched OVER the playfield, hands-on-cabinet, watching the table, caught in a terminal stare, chewing on the metal posts of his bottom-lip-piercings. Mrs. F is too polite to say - "Back up, smelly", so this was her way of calling me over to regulate.

Friendly: "Hey bro. You're over the playfield. Let the gal see so she can make her shots."

Eff Around And Find Out: "HEY! FREAKSHOW! [*thud of my flat palm on the side of the display cabinet*] BACK UP." The metal of my wedding band made an extra loud snap on the cabinet; similar to that popping sound that a pinball table makes when you earn a replay with a good score.

"Aged Out of HotTopic" jumped up and crossed his arms over his chest, fingertips under his armpits before blinking twice, looking at me confusedly, and slinking away. MightyManager (he knows me from prior visits) came over to referee. I told him what was up. Mac sighed before saying: "Yeah, we've had a problem with these guys lately." Before anyone asks; I had the takedown drawn up in my head long before "Find Out"; grab the arm that came at me across the table with my opposite arm, and pull it towards me, pinning him against the cabinet and offering me an unobstructed shot at a confusing blow and a good hold.

We had planned on staying longer and popping more tokens into Cactus Canyon, but the weedstench and the comings-and-goings of malnourished SoyBoys became too much for us to tolerate.

Back to the hotel. Those stupid eScooters are just haphazardly thrown about the streets everywhere downtown, abandoned and looking forlorned. A quick Clark Kent and I'm looking like I belong in a Bond film, if I do say so myself. Dinner was fantastic. Four courses, but the arancini stole the show, if you ask me. Pay the tab, back to Parking Lot of Uncertainty. I circle the block once or twice, and hit a curb because SkinnyFlannel obliviously walked off of the curb and into traffic. *BAMF*. Parked the car. Hotel. Sleep.

Woke up and got out. Passenger-side-front tire is flat because I spared SkinnyFlannel from being a trauma alert last night. I exhaled and looked around; garbage blowing all around me. Faintly, a harmonica played in the distance.

I have a spare and the know-how. Thanks, Dad. You did good. We're not coming back here.

This story is good and all, but lets make one thing clear - As a Miami resident I need to circle back around to what your wife said right at the start. Last year Tampa had ample opportunity to get a Michelin star, any of them, even one. And it failed. Miami had to hold water for the entire South Florida delegation (I guess, technically, Orlando did get four one-star places). The next guide comes out next month in May. I enjoy Tampa, I dare say I like Tampa.

But nothing would make me happier than the whole city getting goose egg stars once again. And that vitriol is purely because of you put Salami on a cuban sandwich. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID.

This is great writing.
Have to ask, are there any arcades that aren’t frequented by pot heads? It seems like a natural pairing - no offense meant to RF.

This is great writing.
Have to ask, are there any arcades that aren’t frequented by pot heads? It seems like a natural pairing - no offense meant to RF.

Thanks.
There seems to be an association, yes.
All I want to do is breathe reasonably clean air and rack up a high score; not score a high.

• Haha
@RustedFox I would like to update this thread to point out my disappointment that tonight the Michelin committee made the clear mistake of allowing three Tampa restaurants to receive Michelin stars. I liked the world better back when Tampa paid to have the Michelin committee evaluate them and the Michelin committee stated that there was no restaurants worthy of a star in the entire city.

@RustedFox I would like to update this thread to point out my disappointment that tonight the Michelin committee made the clear mistake of allowing three Tampa restaurants to receive Michelin stars. I liked the world better back when Tampa paid to have the Michelin committee evaluate them and the Michelin committee stated that there was no restaurants worthy of a star in the entire city.

Link?

Members don't see this ad :)

Does anyone else find it odd that a tire company determines restaurant competence?

Is calling a steak "rubbery" a compliment?

I know the origin is basically as a travel guide, but I don’t turn to a brake pad manufacture for hotel reviews. Definitely don’t ask the brake pad guys about T-bone steaks.

I know the origin is basically as a travel guide, but I don’t turn to a brake pad manufacture for hotel reviews. Definitely don’t ask the brake pad guys about T-bone steaks.

Jesus, man.
Go back to the Politics thread to be petty and pedantic.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
By the way, the homelessness is more of a function of rising costs - Florida has seen some of the biggest increases in rent over the last two years. The increasing costs is not a red vs blue issue - it is a supply vs demand issue. Large migration into Florida, very rapid growth, lots of people moving to Florida which is resulting in this.

Places that cost $1000 per month 2-3 years ago now cost 1400-1500/month. It’s tough being poor when your rent goes up 20 percent for 2 consecutive years.

By the way, the homelessness is more of a function of rising costs - Florida has seen some of the biggest increases in rent over the last two years. The increasing costs is not a red vs blue issue - it is a supply vs demand issue. Large migration into Florida, very rapid growth, lots of people moving to Florida which is resulting in this.

Places that cost $1000 per month 2-3 years ago now cost 1400-1500/month. It’s tough being poor when your rent goes up 20 percent for 2 consecutive years.

I invest a decent amount in real estate and its incredibly common (and this is not an exaggeration) down in south florida to see a 1,800 sq foot one floor house that last sold for 450k in 2019* to be listed for 1.1 or 1.2 million in 2023. There is some strange social services/homeless services going on down here in the Miami area (and Ft Lauderdale and Palm beach, to a lesser degree) that there isn't any noticeable uptick in homelessness. Mayor has been very vocal about, more or less, shipping them to areas they are less likely to be seen. But I drive through and work in those areas and don't see any noticeable uptick. And it *should* be happening. Maybe they are better at hiding humans than I expect.

* so yes, in a nice area to sell for that much in the first place. but nothing justifies the 1.1 million beyond demand just blowing past any expectation anyone could have ever had for the area.

I invest a decent amount in real estate and its incredibly common (and this is not an exaggeration) to see a 1,800 sq foot one floor house that last sold for 450k in 2019 to be listed for 1.1 million in 2023.

And hence you are seeing a spike in homelessness. Florida is red hot from a real estate perspective.

It’s a fairly red state with fairly Republican policies. Homelessness isn’t automatically ‘because the liberals are coming’. It’s just getting really expensive to live there which is fundamentally being driven by demographics and migration into Florida, not political ‘liberal’ policies. And migration is largely because of friendly business policies causing a boom in job growth and infrastructure growth.

And hence you are seeing a spike in homelessness. Florida is red hot from a real estate perspective.

It’s a fairly red state with fairly Republican policies. Homelessness isn’t automatically ‘because the liberals are coming’. It’s just getting really expensive to live there which is fundamentally being driven by demographics and migration into Florida, not political ‘liberal’ policies. And migration is largely because of friendly business policies causing a boom in job growth and infrastructure growth.

preaching to the choir. Homelessness isn't an issue owned by either party, its multifactorial and the hyperfocus most political talking points have on blaming only one or two elements of the issue for the whole thing is a "missing the forest for the trees" situation.

On the other hand: Tampa needs to be shunned and I'll happily take any Tampa slander you have even if its baseless.

@southerndoc why is this thread allowed? Is it EM-focused? Seems to also violate the rules you stated. What am I missing here?

• Okay...
@southerndoc why is this thread allowed? Is it EM-focused? Seems to also violate the rules you stated. What am I missing here?
Read the stickied post:

Going forward, please limit all political discussions to those directly related to EM (i.e., pending legislation related to EM).
Extra emphasis is mine.

Off topic is OK. Political not related to a specific issue that is directly related to Emergency Medicine is not OK.

I’m sure the google ad people don’t mind if we talk about buying cars and going to fancy restaurants

Once all of the mature basketball players left, they look around wondering where everyone is at. Why is the gym a ghost town. They start to go to other thread seeking validation. Sad, sad, sad place to be.

Man this is essentially Seattle Circa 1 month ago. I literally had to dodge poop, needles, homeless people be in morning or night @ Pikes place. Mrs Emergent and kids all said they don't want to go back. What a shame, 15 yrs ago it was one of our favorite places.

Homelessness is multifactorial but it is clear that making it easy, funding endless programs makes it worse. Its like flies to poop

Reactions: 4 users
Man this is essentially Seattle Circa 1 month ago. I literally had to dodge poop, needles, homeless people be in morning or night @ Pikes place. Mrs Emergent and kids all said they don't want to go back. What a shame, 15 yrs ago it was one of our favorite places.

Homelessness is multifactorial but it is clear that making it easy, funding endless programs makes it worse. Its like flies to poop
That’s unfortunate. My wife and I were there as recently as 7 years ago, and we still enjoyed our time a lot.

I guess you can leave the mainland and go out to Bainbridge island via ferry and still have a good time.

Speaking of Tampa breakfast spots, we went to The Library for brunch. Their French Toast and Brown Butter Pancakes were some of the best I have had. Somewhat surprising for a restaurant that's in a hospital.

I was in Seattle this past summer with the family. It was sad and unreal. My kids hated it. It stinks, open air drug use. Frankly putrid and the cops did and do nothing about it.

Reactions: 3 users
“but the weedstench and the comings-and-goings of malnourished SoyBoys”

Lol that was a good read. Though I do agree with others that a pinball arcade is basically the expected hangout of that crowd. Any “bar-cade” I’ve ever been to is similar.

I’ve never been to Tampa, but Portland/Seattle/SF don’t have the monopoly on this….uh…..social dynamic, there’s a few other cities I’ve been shocked how much they’ve changed in 3-5yrs.

Places I have been too 15 yrs ago and in the past 2 yrs. All of these cities have let homelessness run rampant.

LA, SF, NYC, Seattle. Very sad.

Places I have been too 15 yrs ago and in the past 2 yrs. All of these cities have let homelessness run rampant.

LA, SF, NYC, Seattle. Very sad.

I don't think NYC has changed much in the last few years. But yeah sucks to dodge poop and homeless tents on the streets on the west coast. It's sad how some of the best cities in the world have deteriorated so much despite all the wealth and opportunity they have.

I don't think NYC has changed much in the last few years. But yeah sucks to dodge poop and homeless tents on the streets on the west coast. It's sad how some of the best cities in the world have deteriorated so much despite all the wealth and opportunity they have.
When we went right after Rudy G, it was so clean. Subway smelled OK too. Felt safe. Went 2 yrs ago, and I would not step foot into a subway with my family.

This may be wrong but I have a friend that owns a business in the SF business district and he says around 1/4-1/3 of the businesses has closed shop. He likely will close soon too. It is not only unsafe esp at night but affluent people are avoiding the area given all the camps/poop/panhandlers. Once foot traffic drops, downtown becomes a ghost town and more homeless will pop up. Without active businesses, upkeeping, it becomes a graffiti urine smelling area. In 10 yrs places like Pikes place will be gone.

Last edited:
When we went right after Rudy G, it was so clean. Subway smelled OK too. Felt safe. Went 2 yrs ago, and I would not step foot into a subway with my family.

This may be wrong but I have a friend that owns a business in the SF business district and he says around 1/4-1/3 of the businesses has closed shop. He likely will close soon too. It is not only unsafe esp at night but affluent people are avoiding the area given all the camps/poop/panhandlers. Once foot traffic drops, downtown becomes a ghost town and more homeless will pop up. Without active businesses, upkeeping, it becomes a graffiti urine smelling area. In 10 yrs places like Pikes place will be gone.

I don't think a 1/3 of the businesses have left SF, but Nordstrom, CVS and others are leaving. Lots of crime recently. It's disgusting there. I was just in SF downtown 2 months ago at night and there was a homeless guy pissing on the side of the street. Cops were driving around and not doing anything. Right there on Market Street.

My brother travels to SJ/SF for work and his car has been broken into twice in about 6 trips. 1st was in a parking lot in a busy shopping center. 2nd was when he was stopped at a stoplight. The guy essentially broke the window, grab, and left.

He took his car back to get another rental, and there were 4-5 cars there with broken windows. The rental guy said this happens all the time.

I mean, how are the car rentals even able to keep cars on the road when there are constant break ins. I don't even blame the thieves. If police won't arrest you for petty theft, this could be a quite lucrative job.

I don't think that people who could afford $1000 in rent but can't $1400 are becoming homeless.. moving in with families/roomates sure

Rent is the easy excuse. If you could only afford $1k/mo for a place in Tampa and was raised to $1500, then your choice is either homelessness or moving to the suburb for $1k/mo.

Economics is way down on the list of reasons for homelessness way after mental, drugs, "freeliving".

My brother travels to SJ/SF for work and his car has been broken into twice in about 6 trips. 1st was in a parking lot in a busy shopping center. 2nd was when he was stopped at a stoplight. The guy essentially broke the window, grab, and left.

He took his car back to get another rental, and there were 4-5 cars there with broken windows. The rental guy said this happens all the time.

I mean, how are the car rentals even able to keep cars on the road when there are constant break ins. I don't even blame the thieves. If police won't arrest you for petty theft, this could be a quite lucrative job.

Regarding the not enforcing some laws like petty theft and shoplifting etc- does ANYONE still support that (even in very liberal circles like San Fran)? I’m honestly mystified why that is still happening.

Rich or poor, people will take advantage of any unenforced rules. Rich just typically do it through white collar schemes.

When you see a bunch of people robbing department stores without masks, you know they have no fear of being caught. If the police really want to stop this, they could just look at the hundreds of video angles and throw them in jail but they don't so people keep on doing it.

Sooner or later the political pendulum is going to swing hard in the other direction, if this nonsense keeps up. It’s not the homeless voting, but the people who’ve got something to lose.

Rich or poor, people will take advantage of any unenforced rules. Rich just typically do it through white collar schemes.

When you see a bunch of people robbing department stores without masks, you know they have no fear of being caught. If the police really want to stop this, they could just look at the hundreds of video angles and throw them in jail but they don't so people keep on doing it.

...but everyone whines when it comes to enforcement. Look at the controversy over enforcing tax laws. Want to end illegal immigration? $10,000/undocumented worker/day fine. No jobs, no illegal immigration. However we can't hurt our corporate overlords. Rules are for the little people.

...but everyone whines when it comes to enforcement. Look at the controversy over enforcing tax laws. Want to end illegal immigration? $10,000/undocumented worker/day fine. No jobs, no illegal immigration. However we can't hurt our corporate overlords. Rules are for the little people.
You know politicians put up rules so they can look like they are doing anything. It is SO easy to fix immigration. Go to most public schools and you will find hundreds of undocumented kids and where they live. Job sites, restaurants, etc.

Once you provide no jobs, you don't even need much border security when there are no money after crossing.

Rules are for little people and learn to use the rules in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.