My MCAT Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschooldreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-meds,

Just one year ago, I received my August 2000 MCAT scores VR 5, PS 8, R, BS 8, and was clearly devastated and frustrated. I would visit this website regularly and read how well other students had done which further reinforced my frustration.
I then took the Kaplan prep course and studied day and night and wrote the MCAT in April 2001. I thought I had done well and quite confidently opened the envelope to find that I had done poorly once again VR 6, PS 9, R, BS 9.
I gave up on medicine until a good friend of mine told me to try it once again and that I wouldn't lose anything if I tried. Three weeks before the August 2001 MCAT, just before the registration deadline, I registered. I studied day and night but this time I had a different attitude. I didn't care and worry so much about the exam because I thought I had nothing to lose. I had determination but was less nervous on the day and just took it easy. Just yesterday I opened my scores to reveal VR 9, BS 10, R, PS 10. I couldn't believe it, I am so glad I wrote it again.
I was told that for Verbal it is highly unlikely to go up more than one score...a myth in my mind now. I was also repeatedly told that people who do well in Verbal have this inherent superior cognitive ability and are the ones who do well in Medical school...this shattered my confidence everytime I checked my scores. So, for those who did poorly on the MCAT, I hope I can be of some hope and inspiration.

Peace,
Medschooldreamer

null

Members don't see this ad.

I am so happy for you. You did awesome! I am sure those scores are very solid for a medical school. Don't lose the hope of becoming a doctor if that's what you always wanted. Right now, I feel very frustrated with my coursework trying to pull up my GPA from 3.2 and have thought about giving up alot. But I think as long as you have the passion to become a doctor, you should keep on trying. Keep it up and best of luck in the future! :) :) :) :) :)

Congrats my (wo)man! Those are great scores and to go up 150% is amazing. WTG--Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Medschooldreamer, you might have to change your login name. Nice job.

The fact that you did poorly the first two time makes your scores that much more impressive. Surely they will notice the trend in your scores and realize how hard you must have worked to achieve them. Congratulations! ;)

:D I love you guys...thanks for your sweet comments! I hope all of you attain your dreams.

Cheers ;)

Way to go!! Way to hang in there!! :D :D :)

Thats awesome,congratulations!!

Thank you so much for what you just wrote. I received my scores on Monday, hoping that would be good because I put a lot of time and effort in, without a class and still did extremely poorly, which was very hard to swallow, especially realizing I would have to wait yet another year to apply. However, in spite of my 1st MCAT experience, I am not giving up though. I am not going to let this test beat me! I will take a class and do it again in April.

Your statement here gives me lifted spirits. It is so good to hear that I am not the only that has tried hard and still failed, but persisted and succeeded! I commend you on your persistence to follow your dream. Good luck with applications this year!

Thanks for your post! Your sharing made me feel better because I was initially excited when I got my MCAT scores because I am not a good standarized test taker, but then people around me began telling me that my scores were good for a first try, but I should try again. All my friends scored in the mid thrities and their comments made me feel ****ty. I walked into the August exam with the intent to take it again. Some told me that I should consider applying to only osteopathic schools with anything below a 30. I got the same exact thing you did: Verbal 9, Physics 10, Bio 10, and Writing R. I took the test in August to get my feet wet for April 2001 test. When I took the MCAT in August, I had not taken physics yet. I will almost finish physics, biochem, and genetics by the time the MCAT rolls around again. After reading your post, I became unsure as to whether an extra one or two points will change my life dramatically. I am begining to think that I can use that time to do other fun things rather than prep for the MCAT all over again. What do you think I should do? My target was to get somewhere in the high twenties this time so that I can re-take it again in April and if that didn't work out, take it again next August to get a 30 or low 30's. I am begining to think that a 29 isn't as bad as those around me make it out to be. I think my science scores can go up if I re-take it, but I don't know if my verbal will go up, stay the same, or go down. The whole MCAT process is so tedious that I am begining to think that I should enjoy life a bit more and have fun my junior year rather than worry about some standarized exam. Do you have any advice for me? Keep what I have or take it again before I begin my AMCAS application in June of 2001?

Depends on the stress level. I had a similar scores, but higher verbal/bio in conjunction w/lower physical. Anyways, I got into a UC school and private pub school. If you have awesome letters of rec/extracurriculars, I wouldn't worry too much. You will get in. The question is time. Will you get in off the alternate list or straight after the interview. Personally, I took the MCATs once, and I was done.

Peace,
wyldstyle2000