my MRI report analysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJAmmz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dislocated my knee twice in a month, I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time :rolleyes: But I went in for MRI the second time and this is my report. I was just wondering what opionion any ortho surgeon would give after reading that report..

FINDINGS: There are complex injuries involving the knee. The posterior horn and lateral meniscus show a large bucket handle tear and the fragment is displaced anteromedially.

There is a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament which I suspect is complete in nature or high-grade partial tear.

There is also an injury involving the medical collateral ligament (MCL). This is along the anterior fibers and represents an ioncomplete tear. Possible disruption of the posterior capsule of the knee along the posterolateral corner. There is a contusion also involving the lateral femoral condyle and medial tibial platea, likely representing an impaction injury.

-----

Kepe in mind this wasn't the report given to me, it's the Orthopedist's copy, I simply requested a copy of it for my own interest.

Members don't see this ad.

DJAmmz said:
I dislocated my knee twice in a month, I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time :rolleyes: But I went in for MRI the second time and this is my report. I was just wondering what opionion any ortho surgeon would give after reading that report..

FINDINGS: There are complex injuries involving the knee. The posterior horn and lateral meniscus show a large bucket handle tear and the fragment is displaced anteromedially.

There is a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament which I suspect is complete in nature or high-grade partial tear.

There is also an injury involving the medical collateral ligament (MCL). This is along the anterior fibers and represents an ioncomplete tear. Possible disruption of the posterior capsule of the knee along the posterolateral corner. There is a contusion also involving the lateral femoral condyle and medial tibial platea, likely representing an impaction injury.

-----

Kepe in mind this wasn't the report given to me, it's the Orthopedist's copy, I simply requested a copy of it for my own interest.

The opinion I would have is that your knee is f***ed up big time

mtheman said:
The opinion I would have is that your knee is f***ed up big time

hmm, I figured that much for myself. I meant an opinon with regards as to how to go about repairing it. I have one opinion from an ortho doc saying that he will transplant a pice of a ligament (forget where to though), and remove a peice of my meniscus, and add two titanium screws.

Just wanted to see how other surgeons would go about this case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right? So it's wrong to talk about anything like this over here? That's odd because similar posts are found all over this place.... Whatever, just delete this topic then.

If you are an active person, into sports etc, nearly all orthopods are going to recommend reconstruction of the ACL. Most MCL injuries do not require surgical intervention and will heal on their own (but may need immobilization). Now with the bucket handle tear I would specifically ask him if he/she will repair the meniscus if possible. A bucket handle tear (depending on which zone the tear is through) many times is repairable, but requires a non weight bearing period usually to allow time to heal. Both surgeries (ACL/meniscus) are usually done at the same time. Reconstruction of the ligament by whatever means is usually a surgeons preference, but many use an allograft and many use an autograft. Just depends on your surgeon. With your description of "dislocation" you have obvious instability it sounds and require your ACL. Some people can get a long without it, sounds as if you are not one of those people.

SOUNDMAN said:
If you are an active person, into sports etc, nearly all orthopods are going to recommend reconstruction of the ACL. Most MCL injuries do not require surgical intervention and will heal on their own (but may need immobilization). Now with the bucket handle tear I would specifically ask him if he/she will repair the meniscus if possible. A bucket handle tear (depending on which zone the tear is through) many times is repairable, but requires a non weight bearing period usually to allow time to heal. Both surgeries (ACL/meniscus) are usually done at the same time. Reconstruction of the ligament by whatever means is usually a surgeons preference, but many use an allograft and many use an autograft. Just depends on your surgeon. With your description of "dislocation" you have obvious instability it sounds and require your ACL. Some people can get a long without it, sounds as if you are not one of those people.

I agree, it sounds like a complex problem with your knee. I wouldn't just go to any orthopod. You should seek out a sports medicine trained orthopaedic surgeon to see if you can have the meniscus repaired rather than removed(that is not always possible in bucket handle tears, but sometimes {est. 15%}) and then you probably need an ACL reconstruction. The titanium screws work well, but there are also bioabsorbable screws now that will disolve and allow you to have another MRI if you have problems with that knee in the future (which you have a higher chance of no matter what you do). But still surgery will allow you to get back to most sports, usually.