My options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InTrouble12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey every one thanks in advance for your responses i was wondering if you guys could offer me some advice i just graduated 2 weeks ago with a degree in biology my cgpa is 2.6 and my sgpa is a 2.7 i haven't taken the MCAT's yet. I know with my current gpa i wont be accepted in to a DO school even with really good MCAT score so i was going to see if my local 4 year college will allow me to take some classes starting fall or spring to take advantage of the grade replacement policy. i was wondering is this the only chance i have to get in to a DO school and continue my pursuit of becoming a DO or is it too late and i should look for other possible career options? any advice would be appreciated and thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey every one thanks in advance for your responses i was wondering if you guys could offer me some advice i just graduated 2 weeks ago with a degree in biology my cgpa is 2.6 and my sgpa is a 2.7 i haven't taken the MCAT's yet. I know with my current gpa i wont be accepted in to a DO school even with really good MCAT score so i was going to see if my local 4 year college will allow me to take some classes starting fall or spring to take advantage of the grade replacement policy. i was wondering is this the only chance i have to get in to a DO school and continue my pursuit of becoming a DO or is it too late and i should look for other possible career options? any advice would be appreciated and thanks again.

It's possible, but you are going to have to show a large upward trend, and rock the MCAT. What is the breakdown of your gpa by year? It would be different if you had a really bad first year or first 2 years, and a great 2 years after that vs. being a B/C student all 4 years. If it's the former, I would retake any science class you got a C or lower in starting with any pre-req classes, and depending on how many classes you retake you might be ready to apply next year. If it's the latter, I would still start retaking classes, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some new upper level science classes to show that you have turned things around. YOU HAVE TO GET A's. I would think if you were a mediocre student throughout undergrad it would take at least 2 years of classes to prove you really have changed. Just my opinion though.

Well with grade replacement maybe you could bump up your GPA upto a 3.0 or a 3.2. Then if you do well on the mcat (30 ish?) you should be able to get into a DO school. But you really need to do something about that GPA first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the replies yeah i think my main goal right now is to go back to school and repair my gpa i have also been preping for my MCAT's and on the practice exams given by kaplan i am avg ~ 27. So you guys think if i can bring my gpa up a little bit i have a good chance or is it still questionable?

Hey thanks for the replies yeah i think my main goal right now is to go back to school and repair my gpa i have also been preping for my MCAT's and on the practice exams given by kaplan i am avg ~ 27. So you guys think if i can bring my gpa up a little bit i have a good chance or is it still questionable?

It depends on what you think "a little bit" is. I would say you would most certainly HAVE to bring it up to at least 3.0, but if you have a 3.0/27 you still wouldn't have a "good" chance. You might have a shot though. Like I said, it really depends on if you have an upward trend already towards the end of your undergrad, or if it was kinda crappy the whole way through. If the latter is the case, it will be much harder for you to redeem yourself, and would definitely take much longer and involve more retakes, and more new classes to prove yourself. Honestly, you haven't really given us enough information to help you. If you could post a year by year breakdown of your gpas it would be much easier to evaluate.