my pcat score

Started by Violet786
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Violet786

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

When I took my PCAT exam I was a sophmore in college (Jan 2005) and I got a composite score of 41. I did average on the Chem/Bio/quanitative sections (~60-73) but did terrible on the verbal/reading comprehension sections (~25). I am now a junior majoring in Biology with a gpa of 3.7. I don't really plan on taking the PCAT again. Do you all think my score will deter me from pharmacy school? I plan on applying for the fall of 07. Thanks a lot! 🙂
 
apply to cali schools and colorado and you're set. they have stated EXPLICITLY except for USC that they don't even glance at the scores.

if you apply to other schools, i think a 41 will get you rejected outright for most schools.
 
Many schools don't even consider 2-year-old PCAT scores anyway.
Yes, RE-take it.
Study hard before retaking it.
PCAT score 41 might get you somewhere, but definitely NOT far enough in the process of admissions today.

If you plan to apply for 2007, you better register to take Oct. 2006 PCAT then.

Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Violet786 said:
Hi,

When I took my PCAT exam I was a sophmore in college (Jan 2005) and I got a composite score of 41. I did average on the Chem/Bio/quanitative sections (~60-73) but did terrible on the verbal/reading comprehension sections (~25). I am now a junior majoring in Biology with a gpa of 3.7. I don't really plan on taking the PCAT again. Do you all think my score will deter me from pharmacy school? I plan on applying for the fall of 07. Thanks a lot! 🙂

I think most schools (that require PCAT) won't even consider you unless you have at least a 70, but even then that is bottom of the barrel.

Chances are if you were a Sophmore when you took it the first time you hadn't even taken the classes that cover the material on the test, i.e Organic Chem, Calc, wel maybe Calc. Either way just retake the test, it's not going to hurt. I know that it is an exhausting process sitting in that room for 5 hours, but its worth it. How bad do you want to get into Pharm School? Anyways, good luck and I hope this helps.
 
I think there is a concensus that you should def retake the PCAT - Time (more likely age) do amazing things to your ability to take examinations. My first time taking the PSAT, I was a wreck. By the time the SAT rolled around, I was more comfortable. After 5 years in the Marine Corps - I thought the PCAT was almost enjoyable. The point is, I think you stand a better chance of matriculation of you take it again - or do as was previously mentioned and hit up schools not requiring the PCAT
 
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to take the PCAT for October and I enrolled myself in the online Kaplan program. I was wondering if anyone is applying for fall 2007 and has started their personal statement. I have no idea where to start and how to go about this. Any ideas? Thanks!
 
Violet, I'm applying for the fall 2007. I'm representing the little city, St. Augustine, the oldest city in the nation. Your personal statement should include all your experiences that relate to you, why you want to be a pharmacist, and how the pharm D program will help you achieve short and long term goals. Thats a summary cap right there, click on the personal statement on pharmcas, and it tells you directly what you should specifically mention in your personal statement(I was honest about how my experiences lead me to decide the pharmacy career choice, and that it wasn't an overnight decision).