1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

my pcat score

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by Violet786, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Violet786

Violet786 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

When I took my PCAT exam I was a sophmore in college (Jan 2005) and I got a composite score of 41. I did average on the Chem/Bio/quanitative sections (~60-73) but did terrible on the verbal/reading comprehension sections (~25). I am now a junior majoring in Biology with a gpa of 3.7. I don't really plan on taking the PCAT again. Do you all think my score will deter me from pharmacy school? I plan on applying for the fall of 07. Thanks a lot! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drugdoc

drugdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Honestly, yes. You should retake it. 80 is a competitive score, no matter what your other credentials are.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

apply to cali schools and colorado and you're set. they have stated EXPLICITLY except for USC that they don't even glance at the scores.

if you apply to other schools, i think a 41 will get you rejected outright for most schools.

5. dabumba

dabumba Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Many schools don't even consider 2-year-old PCAT scores anyway.
    Yes, RE-take it.
    Study hard before retaking it.
    PCAT score 41 might get you somewhere, but definitely NOT far enough in the process of admissions today.

If you plan to apply for 2007, you better register to take Oct. 2006 PCAT then.

Best of luck.

6. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think most schools (that require PCAT) won't even consider you unless you have at least a 70, but even then that is bottom of the barrel.

Chances are if you were a Sophmore when you took it the first time you hadn't even taken the classes that cover the material on the test, i.e Organic Chem, Calc, wel maybe Calc. Either way just retake the test, it's not going to hurt. I know that it is an exhausting process sitting in that room for 5 hours, but its worth it. How bad do you want to get into Pharm School? Anyways, good luck and I hope this helps.

7. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think there is a concensus that you should def retake the PCAT - Time (more likely age) do amazing things to your ability to take examinations. My first time taking the PSAT, I was a wreck. By the time the SAT rolled around, I was more comfortable. After 5 years in the Marine Corps - I thought the PCAT was almost enjoyable. The point is, I think you stand a better chance of matriculation of you take it again - or do as was previously mentioned and hit up schools not requiring the PCAT

8. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

7 here. First rounds on me when I get to Gainesville. Semper Fi.

9. Violet786

Violet786 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to take the PCAT for October and I enrolled myself in the online Kaplan program. I was wondering if anyone is applying for fall 2007 and has started their personal statement. I have no idea where to start and how to go about this. Any ideas? Thanks!

10. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Anytime man... Good to see a fellow Marine patrolling the ranks...

11. robo2003

robo2003 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Violet, I'm applying for the fall 2007. I'm representing the little city, St. Augustine, the oldest city in the nation. Your personal statement should include all your experiences that relate to you, why you want to be a pharmacist, and how the pharm D program will help you achieve short and long term goals. Thats a summary cap right there, click on the personal statement on pharmcas, and it tells you directly what you should specifically mention in your personal statement(I was honest about how my experiences lead me to decide the pharmacy career choice, and that it wasn't an overnight decision).