Violet786

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi,

When I took my PCAT exam I was a sophmore in college (Jan 2005) and I got a composite score of 41. I did average on the Chem/Bio/quanitative sections (~60-73) but did terrible on the verbal/reading comprehension sections (~25). I am now a junior majoring in Biology with a gpa of 3.7. I don't really plan on taking the PCAT again. Do you all think my score will deter me from pharmacy school? I plan on applying for the fall of 07. Thanks a lot! :)

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Honestly, yes. You should retake it. 80 is a competitive score, no matter what your other credentials are.

doublehh03

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
apply to cali schools and colorado and you're set. they have stated EXPLICITLY except for USC that they don't even glance at the scores.

if you apply to other schools, i think a 41 will get you rejected outright for most schools.

About the Ads

dabumba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2005
Status
Many schools don't even consider 2-year-old PCAT scores anyway.
Yes, RE-take it.
Study hard before retaking it.
PCAT score 41 might get you somewhere, but definitely NOT far enough in the process of admissions today.

If you plan to apply for 2007, you better register to take Oct. 2006 PCAT then.

Best of luck.

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Violet786 said:
Hi,

When I took my PCAT exam I was a sophmore in college (Jan 2005) and I got a composite score of 41. I did average on the Chem/Bio/quanitative sections (~60-73) but did terrible on the verbal/reading comprehension sections (~25). I am now a junior majoring in Biology with a gpa of 3.7. I don't really plan on taking the PCAT again. Do you all think my score will deter me from pharmacy school? I plan on applying for the fall of 07. Thanks a lot! :)
I think most schools (that require PCAT) won't even consider you unless you have at least a 70, but even then that is bottom of the barrel.

Chances are if you were a Sophmore when you took it the first time you hadn't even taken the classes that cover the material on the test, i.e Organic Chem, Calc, wel maybe Calc. Either way just retake the test, it's not going to hurt. I know that it is an exhausting process sitting in that room for 5 hours, but its worth it. How bad do you want to get into Pharm School? Anyways, good luck and I hope this helps.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
I think there is a concensus that you should def retake the PCAT - Time (more likely age) do amazing things to your ability to take examinations. My first time taking the PSAT, I was a wreck. By the time the SAT rolled around, I was more comfortable. After 5 years in the Marine Corps - I thought the PCAT was almost enjoyable. The point is, I think you stand a better chance of matriculation of you take it again - or do as was previously mentioned and hit up schools not requiring the PCAT

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
aboveliquidice said:
After 5 years in the Marine Corps -

7 here. First rounds on me when I get to Gainesville. Semper Fi.

OP
V

Violet786

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to take the PCAT for October and I enrolled myself in the online Kaplan program. I was wondering if anyone is applying for fall 2007 and has started their personal statement. I have no idea where to start and how to go about this. Any ideas? Thanks!

robo2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Violet, I'm applying for the fall 2007. I'm representing the little city, St. Augustine, the oldest city in the nation. Your personal statement should include all your experiences that relate to you, why you want to be a pharmacist, and how the pharm D program will help you achieve short and long term goals. Thats a summary cap right there, click on the personal statement on pharmcas, and it tells you directly what you should specifically mention in your personal statement(I was honest about how my experiences lead me to decide the pharmacy career choice, and that it wasn't an overnight decision).

About the Ads