Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Already stated, but the SW just evaluates and provides dispo recs. No, SW doesn't run that place, ER docs do and receive recommendations from SW and base their decisions on that. Of course ER docs have time to deal with agitation meds, restraints, etc. Agitation management is a major part of EM physician training. I think you're failing to recognize that a huge number, perhaps the vast majority, of ERs don't have psychiatrists readily available. Even if a psychiatrist is present, do you think an ER doc is waiting 10 minutes for psych recs for the patient who just came in throwing punches and trying to assault staff?How does a SW "man" the ER when they can't order medications, like say an IM for an agitated patient? These places have dedicated nursing teams and mental health workers, so we're not talking about the occasional psych patient in the ED. Is a SW going to run that place? Do you think ER attendings have time to deal with that or restraints..etc?
Outside of the really low-volume places, I generally agree. I wouldn't want to supervise a SW or NP, though would actually probably prefer SW. Regardless, the main job of psych ERs is to evaluate safety and aid with resources which is something every social worker should be able to do (yes, I realize this is often not the case).I have certainly come across places that expect attendings to "supervise" SW or NPs without actually being on site or seeing the patients. I run from these setups like the plague, cause it is inviting a lawsuit, and I think at least in my region they realize that, and don't want that risk either. I'm sure it happens in some places especially with low volume, but I doubt they are providing good care.
100% agree with you here, but will point out that residents do meet the criteria for the second statement. Especially those more than 1.5 years in who should frankly be competent enough to mostly function as an attending in terms of basic skills.I supervise SW, and let's just say, I wouldn't want a relative to be dispo'ed by anyone without a medical license.
You actually do need a medical background and training in psychiatry to properly assess, diagnose and treat patients in the ER.