My pride was stripped from me today...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxJuiceDxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was challenged to a fight by what seemed to be a unstable, quite possibly under the influence ****-bag tonight. He stepped out of his car after cutting me off because I, and I quote, "f'ckin cut him off." Interestingly, I had 'right of way' so his reasoning for his actions was complete ****. Anyways, I was so shocked by this guy's behavior I just sat in my car looking at him, speechless. Normally, I would have taken his offer like an immature kid and either gotten my a$$ beat or pounded him out. I have never experienced such road rage from anyone ever in my life until today. When he asked, "So you wanna fight?", I just smiled at him. In actuality, I was more afraid of him trying to damage my car, if he did try to charge at me, moreso than him beating me into a bloody mess. I even thought he was going to get back in his car and pull out a gun.

After discussing this bizarre occurrence with a good buddy, I began wondering if, somehow, I got arrested for fighting, would this have affected me professionally, during and after dental school? Could my acceptance be taken away for something like this? Could this have made it more difficult for me to practice as it would have been on my record? I know, its so high school, or even grade school, but I keep thinking about this incident because I'm not one to back down from **** and I feel like I pussed out like a chump, as my buddy kept telling me :laugh: . But it was a real awakening experience, in the sense that 99.9% of the time, walking away is the smartest thing to do. However, I feel as though I can no longer be called a man. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't have your pride stripped... you made a decision not to fight and there is nothing emasculating about that... but no one can say it better than Rudyard Kipling... so here's two quotes followed by my favorite poem...

"Do not think that to be a man is to do the things that any gentleman would avoid."

"A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me." ~Fredrick Douglas

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling

oh yea, ok... now a rudyard kipling poem is supposed to give him his manhood back?

man, don't worry, it takes a bigger man to back off. At the end of the day, he'll get his, and you'll get yours. Props for not doing anything. In the end, he's the dingus and you're not.

Members don't see this ad :)
poetry = manhood...remember?

I'm pretty sure getting into a fight would not have completely destroyed your goals, but you may have had a harder time or at least had one more thing to explain when trying to get into dental school if you got arrested for fighting. However, not all fights end up with police involvement...pcik your battles with some more care and you should be fine.

As for practicing...I can't be sure, but I doubt a bank will deny you a loan to start a business just cause you got into a fight 6 years earlier.

IMO, you did the right thing by not fighting. There are so many variables in a street fight. He could have had a knife, a gun, or some other weapon. Who knows what this guy is capable of. That's what they teach at my MMA and Jiu-jitsu class. If some guy asks me to fight, I'll back down. If some guy comes swinging at me wildly, I'll break his arm.

You know, I would have gladly fought him in a controlled environment, as immature as it sounds. But you're right, no way in hell I would have took part in a street fight. For some reason, I seriously thought the dude was going to pull out a gun out of his car and put a bullet in my head. F'ckin psycho...but I am so glad my friend wasn't in the car with me though because he loves to talk ****. Man, I think the title of this thread would have been a little bit different if he was with me... Thanks for the support guys. :thumbup:

Chong Li is my hero!

xxJuiceDxx said:
You know, I would have gladly fought him in a controlled environment, as immature as it sounds. But you're right, no way in hell I would have took part in a street fight. For some reason, I seriously thought the dude was going to pull out a gun out of his car and put a bullet in my head. F'ckin psycho...but I am so glad my friend wasn't in the car with me though because he loves to talk ****. Man, I think the title of this thread would have been a little bit different if he was with me... Thanks for the support guys. :thumbup:

You can always put a manly twist on it, saying you didnt fight the guy because you were afraid for his life... You were unsure of what you were capable of doing to him, so to avoid possibly taking another life, you decided not to fight...
Seriously tho, you cant stop and throw down for every clown on the street... Man, I live in brooklyn, ny... I'd get into 30 street fights just walking to the supermarket around the corner...

It is best to curb your machismo now. You can't be body slamming patients when they bitch about every little thing. Even though the thought of a dentist body slamming anyone is pretty cool.

Listen, if its the respect from other immature men that you are looking for then... yes, you have probably lost your "manhood."

However, if you are looking to earn the respect of a woman, then you have truly done the right thing.

I dont know about the others, but you have certainly earned MY respect. ;)

dont worry just find him when u become a dentist and beat him up :laugh:

PlanB21 said:
Chong Li is my hero!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Indie, I never inferred me being afraid of hurting the dude. It was actually the opposite. I thought if my friend was there with me, and his constant need to talk ****, that guy probably would've messed me up because I thought he had a weapon. And the dude was whacked out of his mind. Unfortunately, **** like that happens more than enough here. Don't know why people act like that here though. Maybe its because its so damn hot out here, or maybe its because people have the right to carry guns in their cars and feel the need to swing that **** around. But you're right about keeping it cool bro. In fact, all you guys are right. I'm an immature idiot.

Fariba said:
Listen, if its the respect from other immature men that you are looking for then... yes, you have probably lost your "manhood."

However, if you are looking to earn the respect of a woman, then you have truly done the right thing.

I dont know about the others, but you have certainly earned MY respect. ;)

women respect wimpy men who cant stick up for themselves? wierd... i'm just kidding. Its a good thing you didnt get yourself in trouble. you should be proud of yourself

Members don't see this ad :)
Notoriousjae said:
women respect wimpy men who cant stick up for themselves? wierd...

Sometimes yes... Anyone can throw down and take some swings... Walking away from something shows you have class... Believe me, ive been in enough fights in my life where I don't feel I have to prove anything to anyone by beating another guy down... Did I feel more like a man after a fight? No... Do I feel like a wimp if I walk away? No.. unless im physically being threatened or attacked, it's not worth it... ESPECIALLY since adcoms don't look to highly on assault charges... lol.. I wouldnt ruin my career for some clown on the streets... Not worth my time, im not an 18 year old punk anymore...

xxJuiceDxx said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Indie, I never inferred me being afraid of hurting the dude. It was actually the opposite. I thought if my friend was there with me, and his constant need to talk ****, that guy probably would've messed me up because I thought he had a weapon. And the dude was whacked out of his mind. Unfortunately, **** like that happens more than enough here. Don't know why people act like that here though. Maybe its because its so damn hot out here, or maybe its because people have the right to carry guns in their cars and feel the need to swing that **** around. But you're right about keeping it cool bro. In fact, all you guys are right. I'm an immature idiot.

Na, I know, I was only joking about putting a manly "stereotype" spin on the story... If you thought he had a weapon, heres a real simple QR problem... Man + Weapon + drugs > bare knuckles... You do the math... Keeping your cool was the right thing to do.. Pick your battles, right now im battling studying for the DAT... and getting my A$$ kicked btw...

Indie said:
Na, I know, I was only joking about putting a manly "stereotype" spin on the story... If you thought he had a weapon, heres a real simple QR problem... Man + Weapon + drugs > bare knuckles... You do the math... Keeping your cool was the right thing to do.. Pick your battles, right now im battling studying for the DAT... and getting my A$$ kicked btw...

haha. Bro, you gotta take a break. QR problem? :laugh: Best of luck on the exam. :thumbup: :thumbup:

my advice-fight only when your life/well being is threatened by someone who you cannot escape from or convince to leave you alone. it should always be you last option. if you do kick someone's ass because he pisses you off, it cannot help you in your professional life. if you must defend yourself, then do what you must do. good luck in school.

You probably wouldn't of made it out of your car before he attacked you anyway. Maybe you should have called the police and reported him as a drunk driver. Being in that position is a lose/lose situation. Who knows this guy might have been training for UFC or something :eek:

Of all the fights I have been involved in it was never a good feeling after.
But the couple I have walked away from, I wish I would have fought....

You did right. :thumbup:

As a dentist, you'll never want to jeopardize your manual dexterity for the sheer pleasure of someone else kicking your arse. I think you did the right thing. Next time, call the police on your cell, videotape the beating, and watch it at your leisure.

dentwannabe said:
oh yea, ok... now a rudyard kipling poem is supposed to give him his manhood back?

man, don't worry, it takes a bigger man to back off. At the end of the day, he'll get his, and you'll get yours. Props for not doing anything. In the end, he's the dingus and you're not.

Ok man, go back and read what I said... his manhood was never in question. Walking away from a fight does not make you less of a man. I understand that everyone here has a different idea of what a man is... The OPs friend may measure a man by how many fights the person gets into, but that's clearly not a sign of maturity. Walking away is the mature and responsible thing to do. What would fighting have solved? While you're at it, why don't you beat up your friend for trying to strip your manhood by teasing you for it? Is his offense not the same as the guy who tried to pick a fight with you?

You did a good job not fighting the dude, you're a hero!

xxJuiceDxx said:
So I was challenged to a fight by what seemed to be a unstable, quite possibly under the influence ****-bag tonight. He stepped out of his car after cutting me off because I, and I quote, "f'ckin cut him off." Interestingly, I had 'right of way' so his reasoning for his actions was complete ****. Anyways, I was so shocked by this guy's behavior I just sat in my car looking at him, speechless. Normally, I would have taken his offer like an immature kid and either gotten my a$$ beat or pounded him out. I have never experienced such road rage from anyone ever in my life until today. When he asked, "So you wanna fight?", I just smiled at him. In actuality, I was more afraid of him trying to damage my car, if he did try to charge at me, moreso than him beating me into a bloody mess. I even thought he was going to get back in his car and pull out a gun.

After discussing this bizarre occurrence with a good buddy, I began wondering if, somehow, I got arrested for fighting, would this have affected me professionally, during and after dental school? Could my acceptance be taken away for something like this? Could this have made it more difficult for me to practice as it would have been on my record? I know, its so high school, or even grade school, but I keep thinking about this incident because I'm not one to back down from **** and I feel like I pussed out like a chump, as my buddy kept telling me :laugh: . But it was a real awakening experience, in the sense that 99.9% of the time, walking away is the smartest thing to do. However, I feel as though I can no longer be called a man. :(

If I was you, I would not fight unless it was necessary. The world is not fair, and you could have caught a battery charge if you chose to fight the guy. When I was in highschool, I was arrested for disorderly conduct for fighting. The only thing I was guilty of was defending myself. It might have been possible to beat the charge in court with a good lawyer, but it still would not have done me any good. If you are found innocent in a court of law, your charges still appear on your record whether you were convicted or not. If the admissions committee sees a charge on your record, they might think twice about you and your actions. You don't know how many times I have had to bite my lip and walk away from people who run their mouths. I know in my heart who I am, and that's all that matters. I think once you make it into dental school, you will be okay. You will not be kicked out or denied a license for a misdemeanor charge. However, I do believe that after a couple misdemeanor battery charges, they turn into felony charges. You have to know when to swallow your pride or else pay the consequences. Now if someone calls my girlfriend a slut, you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to say something to him even if I know it's going to escalate into a fight. Now if you were a dentist, a jury would never convict someone of your credentials for defending himself. That's how the world works. It's ****ed up.

dboy said:
. You have to know when to swallow your pride or else pay the consequences. Now if someone calls my girlfriend a slut, you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to say something to him even if I know it's going to escalate into a fight. Now if you were a dentist, a jury would never convict someone of your credentials for defending himself. That's how the world works. It's ****ed up.

I got a better one, if someone calls your girlfriend a slut, hit em with a double whammy.... Knock out their teeth, then charge them $3000 to put them back in for them... LMAO..

beastly115 said:
IMO, you did the right thing by not fighting. There are so many variables in a street fight. He could have had a knife, a gun, or some other weapon. Who knows what this guy is capable of. That's what they teach at my MMA and Jiu-jitsu class. If some guy asks me to fight, I'll back down. If some guy comes swinging at me wildly, I'll break his arm.

Yep....Yep....Same with me. I'm an amateur boxer but I seldom fight outside the ring.

Actually had the same happen to me (I'm sure this is a common thing) here is Los Angeles. Surprisingly, a cop was driving by....saw the whole thing. He stopped and sat us both on the curve. Unfortunately the other guy, was carrying a .22 hiding on the back of his pants.

The cop "took him in" for carrying a concealed unregistered weapon. Asked me if I wanted to press charges....I declined. Just in case the guy runs into me once he's out of jail.

Just think....he could have shot me and tossed the weapon. Short of witnesses, he would have never been convicted. Not with a good layer anyway. Just avoid conflict whenever possible.

If you can't avoid it, don't speak!!! Just fight it out.

Remember. Pride always hurts, it never helps.

Indie said:
I got a better one, if someone calls your girlfriend a slut, hit em with a double whammy.... Knock out their teeth, then charge them $3000 to put them back in for them... LMAO..

hahaha that's ****ing hilarious. :laugh:

dboy said:
If I was you, I would not fight unless it was necessary. The world is not fair, and you could have caught a battery charge if you chose to fight the guy. When I was in highschool, I was arrested for disorderly conduct for fighting. The only thing I was guilty of was defending myself. It might have been possible to beat the charge in court with a good lawyer, but it still would not have done me any good. If you are found innocent in a court of law, your charges still appear on your record whether you were convicted or not. If the admissions committee sees a charge on your record, they might think twice about you and your actions. You don't know how many times I have had to bite my lip and walk away from people who run their mouths. I know in my heart who I am, and that's all that matters. I think once you make it into dental school, you will be okay. You will not be kicked out or denied a license for a misdemeanor charge. However, I do believe that after a couple misdemeanor battery charges, they turn into felony charges. You have to know when to swallow your pride or else pay the consequences. Now if someone calls my girlfriend a slut, you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to say something to him even if I know it's going to escalate into a fight. Now if you were a dentist, a jury would never convict someone of your credentials for defending himself. That's how the world works. It's ****ed up.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

drengineer said:
You did a good job not fighting the dude, you're a hero!

Bro, thanks for being a sarcastic sweetheart. Oh yea, you down for the US Open? I think tickets are $44 for general admission? Maria Sharapova... :love:

elcubanito said:
If you can't avoid it, don't speak!!! Just fight it out. Remember. Pride always hurts, it never helps.

True.

indie said:
.... Knock out their teeth, then charge them $3000 to put them back in for them...

LOL. :laugh: Damn, I can imagine it now. Knock them out, then start searching the ground for his teeth, collect them, throw my business card at him and tell him to arrive 10 minutes early the next day. Good ****. :laugh:

ElCubanito said:
Yep....Yep....Same with me. I'm an amateur boxer but I seldom fight outside the ring.

Actually had the same happen to me (I'm sure this is a common thing) here is Los Angeles. Surprisingly, a cop was driving by....saw the whole thing. He stopped and sat us both on the curve. Unfortunately the other guy, was carrying a .22 hiding on the back of his pants.

The cop "took him in" for carrying a concealed unregistered weapon. Asked me if I wanted to press charges....I declined. Just in case the guy runs into me once he's out of jail.

Just think....he could have shot me and tossed the weapon. Short of witnesses, he would have never been convicted. Not with a good layer anyway. Just avoid conflict whenever possible.

If you can't avoid it, don't speak!!! Just fight it out.

Remember. Pride always hurts, it never helps.

wow, LA sounds like a great place

xxJuiceDxx said:
Bro, thanks for being a sarcastic sweetheart. Oh yea, you down for the US Open? I think tickets are $44 for general admission? Maria Sharapova... :love:

Yeah dude, i'm down and out for watching US open this Fall. I'm just waiting for the draw to come out before i purchase the tickets. $44 isn't too bad at all.

Oh yeah, regarding Maria Sharapova :love:, well, you'll have to fight it out with me... and yeah... i'm a good street fighter :D

Joking!

You contradicted yourself when you talked about "never backing down" from situations, while also saying it's immature to get involved. You probably have never been in a fight before...there's a first time for everything...however, cheers for making good choices.

Sephisabin said:
You didn't have your pride stripped... you made a decision not to fight and there is nothing emasculating about that... but no one can say it better than Rudyard Kipling... so here's two quotes followed by my favorite poem...

"Do not think that to be a man is to do the things that any gentleman would avoid."

"A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me." ~Fredrick Douglas

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling

"if" is a great poem

Here's something everyone needs to learn...the type of people who want to fight or will get in to trouble are not in the game. You can't be in the game if you have nothing to lose. Whenever you got out just remember that. Don't get in to fights with idiots or has beens... b/c they have nothing to lose. Listen to colin cowheard on espn radio in the morning and he will teach you about being a "player". A "player" isn't someone who gets a lot of chicks, its someone who understands their role in business and knows they are important and can't get in trouble for stupid things.

xxJuiceDxx said:

out of curiosity, did NYU accept you w/o interview?

i say that since you're applying for school right now, lay low and stay out of stuff that could get on your record. but once you get in school and you're on your way, break that suckers jaw w/ a crowbar you keep behind your front seat. betcha' chuck norris woulda' broke that dude's face AND the ten other guys that woulda' jumped outta the bushes once you started swinging. just make sure you don't end up like shamrock and get knocked out on pay-per-view by tito in the beginning of the first round.