1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

My prior service time count for basic pay???

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by USU2012Dude, Jun 4, 2008.

1. USU2012Dude

Hi,
    you guys said that formerreservist should get paid as an 0-1 with 8+ years of service for his prior reserve time during OBLC and that he would get 0-3 with 8+ years during the residency.
    I was in one of the Reserves for almost six years. Do you guys think that I will get paid as an 0-1 with 5+ years for my basic pay while attending USUHS and as an 0-3 with 5+ during my residency? Thank you so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. elderjack21

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you are at 5+...then you will be paid at the "over 4" pay level, since pay steps up every 2 years after 4.

While at USUHS you would be paid as an 0-1 w/5 years (which is the same as an 0-1 w/4 years)

The same goes for residency, except once you hit 6 years in, then you would get another raise.

4. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, under the recent NDAA, you may be paid (base pay only) as an O3 over 4. The Save Pay is for active duty time and USU should pay your old base pay rate.

5. Prior enlisted pay

-if you are over 4 years active duty you get paid O-1E scaled to your years in service....BAH scale is higher too

Prior officer pay

-You keep your current pay grade until you have made rank that would make your pay higher...ie your pay does not change no matter where you are USU, residency whatever until you make that prior rank again essentially
    -BAH I believe is still paid out at the O-1 w/ or w/o dependent rates

Rank is not kept so proper paperwork must be filed for the pay stuff. They will help you out once you get there. Bring many copies of prior service time and discharge paperwork or whatever applies to you. Prior reserve time is converted to equal active duty time and I do not believe it ends up being 1 for 1...if it does make sure you check, double check, and triple check with personnel before they yank their money back on you (if this applies to you)!

I'm prior enlisted and it took 9 months to get my pay straight so stay on the finance people.

Most of the guys in my class have their pay stuff in the works for prior O service. Several are already recieving new pay rates.

6. USU2012Dude

So, if the total active duty time that I accrued was ~ 2 years while I was in the Reserve for almost six years, I will get paid only as O-1 w/ <2 years and not 0-1 with 5+ years? I thought every year in the Reserve counts???? Then, why does everyone say that formerreservist dude will get O-1 with 8+ years (for his eight years in the Reserve) for his base pay? Shouldn't I get 0-1 with 5+ years too?

I am confused now...

#5 USU2012Dude, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  7. USU2012Dude

anyone knowledgeable about this issue, please answer ASAP. Thanks so much

8. elderjack21

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ask your pay people...they would be the ones you need to convince anyway.

9. dentalOH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    All prior service (Active, Reserve/Guard, IRR) counts as creditable service for basic pay. Since you have over 4 years, but less than 6, you will get payed as an O-1 with 4 years. Be sure to have a copy of your dd214 (NGB form 22 for Guard members) with you when you inprocess finance.

Current pay tables:

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2008MilitaryPayCharts35.pdf

DoD Financial Management Regulations (Chapter 1 covers basic pay):

http://www.defenselink.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/index.html

twillson was talking about something that doesn't apply to you. On the pay tables linked above, there are separate pay rates listed as O-1, O-2, and O-3 superscript 3 (used to be listed as O-1E, O-2E, and O-3E). These pay rates are for those who have at least 4 years, 1 day of active enlisted service.

10. Milamber

Milamber Grand Poomba
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So if I did 4 years active enlisted and 4 years in the IRR I would get paid for 8 years time in service? Is that correct?

11. dentalOH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, that is correct.

Edit: You are credited with 8 years of service. This would put you at the O-1 >6 rate on the pay table. You would need 8 years, 1 day of service to reach O-1 >8.

#10 dentalOH, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  12. USU2012Dude

hey, the Reserve didn't give me a DD-214!!! I called the National Archive Center and my unit, and they said that they don't have it and that only the active duty gets one!

GREAT!!!! How am I going to get the finance people to credit my time then? Any ideals?

13. dentalOH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not too sure about the Reserve. I've only been active and guard.

Did you receive a DD Form 256A (Honorable Discharge Certificate)?

I found the following on the Army HRC site under Reserve:

Here is the link to the form:
    http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

I found a quicker way to request this information. The request can now be submitted online at:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

#12 dentalOH, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  14. I guess I have been talking apples vs. oranges and I apologize for that. I do believe dental is correct when stating that the IRR does "count" for base pay. However this will not change the pay $ amount you recieve for several years if you're already over 3 years of active or other service. My mistake was that I made an a## of myself in assuming that the inference was being made that one could recieve O-1E pay for 4 years + IRR which remains false.

All of that to say that your LES should state your 8 years on top but your pay will be for an O-1 >3 years of service where you'll be locked in until you make O-3 on graduation. Sorry for the confusion. I'll eat the crow on this one.

#13 177584, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  15. dentalOH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Here is what the DoD Financial Management Regulation linked above says:

The Army was having problems with this, particularly with incoming AMEDD officers. A milper message was sent out to clarify the issue:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Active/TAGD/retire/newsletters/06_01.htm

I see from previous posts that you are in the Air Force. I would suggest that you print up the pertinent pages from the DoD Regulation and the Army milper message. Go back to your MPF and try to get your pay adjusted. Take it to a higher level if you must. All services are supposed to follow the same guidance when computing creditable service. If you have a friend in the Army with AKO access, a more printer friendly version of the milper message can be found here:

http://perscomnd04.army.mil/MILPERmsgs.nsf/All+Documents/06-066?OpenDocument

I've been in the military for 15 years (active Army, Army Guard, Air Guard) and if there is one thing I've learned, it is to research the regulations (instructions) myself. This is especially true when dealing with personnel sections. A title of supervisor doesn't necessarily mean that the soldier or airman is knowledgeable of the issue.

I hope this helps. Good luck in getting your pay fixed.

16. abnatc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    dentalOH,

If what you posted is true, then everyone who has served a term in the military would automatically get credited for 8 years of service for pay. It wouldn't differentiate between someone who served 8 years active/0 IRR and 2 years active/ 6 IRR, which would be bogus.

17. Here's the catch and what makes it different. "E-pay" If you serve active duty all eight years you are on a different pay scale from O-1 to O-3. You get additional BAH and additional base pay. Therefore you make much more than your O-1 through O-3 counterparts. The IRR stuff is correct....just double checked on my LES and revised my previous statment accordingly. I think he posted something on this earlier in the thread. (My apologies for speaking too soon dentaloh)