My rant about becoming a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradFinance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone!

I want to share my current situation as well as some of the things I've learned over the last year about non-trad pre meds.

Education Background: I graduated in 2011 with my BS in Finance a CGPA of 3.2 and MGPA of roughly 3.5 from a top 75 University in the U.S. I am currently going through the certification process for Lean Six Sigma and studying my GMAT to keep my options open for BSchool. I have always been the person to take the practical route in life (moderate risk, moderate reward).

Work Experience I worked as an analyst for 2 years immediately after graduation before switching over to healthcare consulting. I currently manage a small department of several employees and 2-4 million in revenue. It was here that I began working with hospital administration and clinical providers in managing and delivering consulting services around ARRA and HIT. Currently I'm working on expanding our business through offering revenue cycle, IT and preventive health services for our clients.

Why medicine now? I wasn't exposed to medicine until 2013 when I started my position, and never considered being a physician until about 8 months ago. My job allowed me to work alongside providers as a business associate to help facilitate CPOE and EMR implementation. It was here I had my first experience in the inpatient setting and absolutely loved it. The feeling of indirectly helping patients recover was extremely satisfying. I chased this feeling, and became very fascinated with medicine. I watched numerous videos on surgery, followed medical journals and became invigorated with the medical world. I finally decided to start researching what it would take for me to transition into the medical world as a physician, and it wasn't a short one. I grew up in a very practical household, and Medicine did not have a good ROI since it required accumulating debt and a long term commitment. Being in my mid twenties, I feel that everything I have done in my life has been at the direction of my family.

The plan So I currently have two routes that I am exploring simultaneously. I am still very conservative at heart, and know that the commitment to medicine isn't a decision that can be made overnight.

Plan 1 - Take GMAT, go to business school and eventually work my way up to an administrative official. This is a practical route that will not set me back financially and aligns with the career choices I have made thus far. It's the path I am suppose to take, and the one that would make life simple.

Plan 2 - Enroll in a 2 year post-bacc program, take mcat, go to medical school and then hopefully residency. This route will set me back 5 years compared to my peers and 300k+ in debt before I climb my way back into the middle class. This is certainly not the practical choice, and there is a lot of uncertainty through this process, but it's the itch that I can't scratch. I have considered becoming a PA, but I'm not really someone that likes being told what to do. It's not off the table, but it would not be my first choice.

Where I stand now I've been accepted to 2 formal post bacc programs in my city, but have deferred for the following semester. I still cant seem to muster up the courage to make this leap, and there are many driving forces that cause me to reconsider on a daily basis. I understand that I am in a good position given I have 2 years of direct hospital experience, I have a large network of providers, I am familiar with hospital administration and come from a background of finance which lends itself well with management. I understand the frustration between administration and providers given all of the Healthcare reform, and volunteer in a hospital on my free time. I truely love the healthcare field, and wouldn't imagine going anywhere else with my career.

Final thoughts At the end of the day, I want to live life with no regrets, but I also fear the unknown. Family rejection, debt, opportunity cost both financially and socially, are all things that hold me back from moving forward. I currently stand at a crossroad between doing what I "think" I want to do, and doing what I am "suppose" to do. It's a struggle that I contemplate daily and still have no solution.

Thank you all for listening to my rant. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Look, a career in Medicine is a calling, like being a fireman or a priest. You can't simply jot down all the plusses and minuses like you're considering buying a Taurus vs. an Impala.

What does your heart tell you to do?

Follow that and don't look back.

In the mean time, do some volunteer work in a clinical setting (hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, clinics hospitals) to see if you really want to be around sick people.

Final thoughts At the end of the day, I want to live life with no regrets, but I also fear the unknown. Family rejection, debt, opportunity cost both financially and socially, are all things that hold me back from moving forward. I currently stand at a crossroad between doing what I "think" I want to do, and doing what I am "suppose" to do. It's a struggle that I contemplate daily and still have no solution.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow... Your age, background, year of graduation, work experience and dilemma are all VERY similar to mine. I can tell you that I know what your feeling. It is a huge decision. But what made me make the leap of faith regarding doing the post bacc as opposed to taking the GMAT/GRE followed by BSchool was this:

"I'd rather live with a head full of memories than with a head full of dreams."

Meaning that when I'm 60 years old, I don't want to look back at my life and regret not taking a risk on becoming a doctor.
Yes, business school would make life easier for me as well. But for me, I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do, even though it was the most practical.

In order to make the best decision for yourself though, you must be realistic. Is it worth taking on the debt, being essentially financially deficient, and delaying starting a family by starting med school in your mid/late twenties? Do you really understand the commitment of time and energy that it will all take? (Personally, I believe the pros of medicine outweigh the cons.)

If you still are unsure about what you want, delay starting the post bacc until the Spring.

Feel free to message me about any questions though.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. If you "don't like being told what to do" you aren't going to like the decade plus of med school and training plus the initial few years of practice. Med school is a very regimented, military style hierarchy. There's always someone above you telling you what to do.

2. Your focus on ROI and being "set back" in terms of finances make this a questionable endeavor for you. You will incur debt and have a Lousy income for well over a decade, and may well emerge to a bad job market and big reimbursement cuts that keep you struggling. If you are counting on this being a certain guaranteed level of income there are lots of paths that are more of a sure thing.

3. Saying you went to a "top 75 University" inherently rubs people the wrong way. It doesn't really impact the advice, it just telegraphs some need to call your education tops. Truthfully, once you get past the top 20-30 schools, you are probably out of the upper echelon anyhow, so expanding it to 75 sounds a bit desperate (like saying you are running a Fortune 1500 company when we all know the real ranking only goes up to 500).

Medicine is a great field but it's not for everyone. If you are about practicality, prestige or not being told what to do, this might not be the best fit. Or I could be reading too much between the lines. Only you can decide. But be honest with yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If you're stuck between two options then you should strongly consider doing that other option, for all of the reasons already mentioned above by others.

I'm not saying you can't do it, or you wouldn't make it, but you should be sure if you'd be happy with this lifetime decision. If you're okay with being bossed around for the "greater good", being in a financial hole, and smelling of formaldehyde for a year, and having random body fluids splashed on your (accidentally or purposely) then go for it!

Hey NonTradFinance,

I'd like to offer my advice. We have fairly similar backgrounds and mindsets. I feel Goro hit the nail on the head. I could of done the easy route like you are saying as well, however, I just have had this itch for years and made the decision to go for it b/c I'm in my mid twenties and needed to make the move. The way I mentally was able to do this was by keeping both the practical option AND the medical school option open simultaneously. In other words, I work, complete prereqs, study mcat and take courses for the other practical option all at the same time. But that is really was has fueled me to pursue the medical route and allow me to feel confident to finish prereqs/study for mcat. My personal recommendation, being that my situation is so similar, is to not shut any doors, rather work harder to pursue both options and keep both doors open. This will create the correct mindset and allow you to pursue the risky uncertain medical route b/c you will have the stable practical route in your back pocket if the medical endeavors fail. Stability is a mature mindset to have, but unfortunately hinders some of us from achieving our true potential.

Law2Doc hit it square on the head (as usual)...... this is very practical and realistic advice. One thing you shouldn't be as a Physician is unsure. How would you feel if your Doctor second-guessed his/her decision to inject you with something that MAY harm you? Are you okay with that risk? Most aren't. I'm not.

Above all the math, science, calculations, endless reading....a future Doctor should possess confidence in their decisions.

Considering the massive commitment of time (which you cannot buy one second) money and effort required to live this crazy dream we call medicine, take as long as you need to satisfy your questions and concerns. Once you pull the trigger...hold on...it's one hell of a (fun) ride....not to mention highly rewarding.

Law2Doc voice of reason strikes again. You can't stay very long teetering on whether you truly have an interest in this profession or not, ESPECIALLY as a non-trad. It's either there, or it is not. Time is a beast.

agree,business school would make life easier for me as well. But for me, I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do, even though it was the most practical.
JuZojV

One thing you shouldn't be as a Physician is unsure. How would you feel if your Doctor second-guessed his/her decision to inject you with something that MAY harm you? Are you okay with that risk? Most aren't. I'm not.
Nonsense. Nothing we do in medicine (or life in general) is risk free. Someone has to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision to take a specific action even though there is always a risk it may do harm. If you can't deal with uncertainty, never mind not going to medical school; you shouldn't even be going to see a doctor as a patient (and probably not ever leaving your house, either).

Just last week I gave a patient an allergic reaction by exposing her to IV contrast for a study which ultimately wound up being negative. It added extra time to her hospital stay while we treated her for the allergic reaction and observed her to make sure she didn't go into anaphylaxis. (Fortunately, she didn't.) Do you seriously think I don't "second-guess" my decision, which resulted in me ordering a nurse to inject this woman with something that DID harm her, in return for basically no gain?

The one thing you most absolutely SHOULD be as a physician is unsure. The worst sin of physicians isn't uncertainty. It's hubris.

Reactions: 7 users
The one thing you most absolutely SHOULD be as a physician is unsure. The worst sin of physicians isn't uncertainty. It's hubris.

Agree. The most dangerous people in healthcare are people that aren't willing to second guess themselves, or let anyone else second guess them.

The catch is you can't let it paralyze you and stop you from making a decision or taking action.

There's a quote I really like, " In medicine you're either humble, or you're about to be..."

Agree with above

If the doctor is not second guessing him or herself, then what is the point of a differential diagnosis...