My rotation schedule - was hoping to get some input.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment, I'm scheduled to finish my core rotations at the end of August. ERAS opens up on September 15th. I was hoping to get my Step 2 CK scores in by end of September and submit it into ERAS.

However, it seems as if I can't submit any letters of recommendation in time, or I'll have to do it after September 15th. I know IMGs generally don't really get interviews until November, so that gives me two solid months where I can do two electives.

I feel that trying to make 2015 match is going to be a struggle. Was hoping to go on a mission trip, but that doesn't seem feasible at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

At the moment, I'm scheduled to finish my core rotations at the end of August. ERAS opens up on September 15th. I was hoping to get my Step 2 CK scores in by end of September and submit it into ERAS.

However, it seems as if I can't submit any letters of recommendation in time, or I'll have to do it after September 15th. I know IMGs generally don't really get interviews until November, so that gives me two solid months where I can do two electives.

I feel that trying to make 2015 match is going to be a struggle. Was hoping to go on a mission trip, but that doesn't seem feasible at this point.

I'm having a hard time understanding your dilemma/question. Why wouldn't you have any letters from your core rotations? Why couldn't you do a mission trip after 2015 match but before your graduation? Nothing about your schedule is really concerning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having a hard time understanding your dilemma/question. Why wouldn't you have any letters from your core rotations? Why couldn't you do a mission trip after 2015 match but before your graduation? Nothing about your schedule is really concerning.

As an IMG, the hospital that I'm rotating at is pure crap. Apparently it was in the top 10 list of the worst US hospitals in the nation.

http://news.health.com/2012/12/02/25-worst-hospitals-in-the-u-s-is-yours-on-the-list/

I figured the program directors would just laugh at the LORs from here. I wanted to do a mission trip before the 2015 match to put it on my CV, and hopefully get a letter of recommendation from a general surgeon from the program as well.

I'm just worried because by September 15th of next year, I'll only have completed one elective rotation (FM). If I take my Step 2 by end of August, I'm hoping I can do some electives at the NIH.

As an IMG, the hospital that I'm rotating at is pure crap. Apparently it was in the top 10 list of the worst US hospitals in the nation.

http://news.health.com/2012/12/02/25-worst-hospitals-in-the-u-s-is-yours-on-the-list/

I figured the program directors would just laugh at the LORs from here. I wanted to do a mission trip before the 2015 match to put it on my CV, and hopefully get a letter of recommendation from a general surgeon from the program as well.

I'm just worried because by September 15th of next year, I'll only have completed one elective rotation (FM). If I take my Step 2 by end of August, I'm hoping I can do some electives at the NIH.

LORs are LORs. Doesn't matter at all if they are from the "worst hospital". It's from a physician in your specialty who knows you and can write a lot about you. Unless you're gunning for a uber competitive speciality, why does it have a signifance in your mind? Especially as an IMG, they KNOW the rotation hospitals are pure crap. However, IMGs match every year correct?

1) there isn't a mass email which goes around to US medical faculty informing them of such rankings. FWIW, with the exception of UCLA, I've never heard of any of the hospitals listed.

2) even if #1 was true, the "research" resulting in this ranking is dubious at best

3) a mission trip is not likely to have a significant effect on your application; applying late or after graduation may very well