My school doesn't offer 2 semesters of ochem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma here.

I go to UBC in Canada, and unless you are either a Chem or Biochem major, there is only one semester of organic chem available for all other students. I think what they did was combined some of the organic into first year, and took out a lot of the physical chem from first year and put it into a second year course (chem 205). Therefore second year students wanting to apply to UBC's med school take chem 233(ochem), 235 (ochem lab), and 205 (physical chem).

Anyhow, can anyone tell me how I might resolve this issue, or if you went to UBC, and applied to schools other than UBC, was this a problem for you?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i dunno what the deal with is...i would talk to ur medical school advisor...cuz we had this one thing...where all of the premeds only took 3 quarter of ochem...and 2 quarters of ochem lab instead of 3...and the med school advisor was the ochem teacher too!....and she said that it was ok....that the 2 quarters of ochem lab...counted as 3 for our clas...some weird **** like that.....so ask ur counselours! good luck

I'd call a school or two that ur thinking about applying to and tell them ur situation

Members don't see this ad :)
Check with schools, b/c some allow 1 sem of biochem instead of 2nd semester of ochem. Also, do u have community colleges in CAnada, If yes, you can take it there to satisfy the requirement.

yes there are community colleges in canada. but we don't have pre-med advisors.