my semi-solicited advice

Started by adcomm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Adcom
I was wondering if you could help shed some light on my chances. I've got a 3.67 overall and science. I got a 13 Phy, 13 Bio, 10 V, and M in writing (36M). The writing hurt and the only thing I have to balance that out is that I got A's in writing classes in college and my AMCAS essay. I've got a few hundred hours shadowing a doctor and volunteering in hospitals, though most of that was done near the end of highschool. Throughout college I was a TA and had a research position. Any reason why I wouldn't have gotten any interview invites yet? I'm starting to loose some hope on gettin in this year.
App sounds fine. At our school, we don't count high school experiences, and this may well be commonplace. So only sticking point might be medical exposure.
 
How important is improvement, or 'disimprovement' I guess? I started strong...4.0 in first year, I *know* I can't keep that up. Not because I'm not working as hard but classes get harder every year. If say I end up with a 3.85 at the end of my degree is that worse than if I had been 3.85 every year?
Well you don't want to go 4-3-2-1. I doubt anyone will care if you wind up with a pretty good gpa like 3.85.
 
I know a few people from Canada at my med school (not really mine officially just yet; SMP) and they will have no problem going back to Canada after med school. If you want to do med school only in Canada then I dont know about admissions in Canada, but very few people can actually pick and choose which schools they want to go to in the US and Canada.
Canadian med schools are reputed to be brutally hard to get into, essentially impossible for anyone out-of-province applicants. Typical median MCATs in the mid-30s, someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Adcomm 😳

I'm a borderline applicant and wish to increase my chances of getting an interview. Would it be wise to ask the med school committees to hold my application until my fall grades comes out during the winter? (which wil lincrease my GPA slightly).
We quite frequently table applications to wait for senior/grad grades. Good idea more for upward trend than for overall GPA effect.
Also, would being involved in, for instance, clinical care (which I lack in my application somewhat) from here on out help my odds at all? or would this not matter in this late of the game..
Over winter break, I will send an additional LOR, letter of interest, fall grade update, however, this could be useless if the decision is out before I send out the updates. Should I send an email letting them know that I will update over the winter? or ask them to hold my application?
Seems prudent to ask for the hold. Say "I'm doing well in my classes this semester and request that to include these results for consideration when they become available," or something like that. As for clinical experience, you can't get in without that (essentially) and late is better (but not much) than never.
 
I've posted my story on other threads, so bare with me If I'm repetitive. Im 21 years old and unfortunately, Ive had to support my family for the last 3 years...And within those years my mother burned her arm, and my sister had an emergency colon operation and was in the hospital for almost 6 months. That being said, I'm still not done with anything because Ive had to work full time...Anyway, I hopefully start Nursing School next year( I want something to fall back on due to my financial situation)after that Ill get my BSN...Now, would it look bad if I take the pre requisites for Med School is a non-ordered fashion? I plan to take some at the University where ill do my BSN & some at the local CC because they offer more classes and better times...Does my whole story put me down in any way? I know what I want to do, but certain circumstances (life) has put obstacles in my way...But I've still managed to get my AA, and start Nursing school next year while working Full Time. ..Any input/advice would be appreciated...

O yea & Im sort of confused in the classes I have to take as my pre req's...In order to get into the nursing program I have to take Microbiology and Chemistry...They are both General but do they still count? I know its a year of each(Chem,Bio,Phy) but which exact ones do I have to take?

(Yea the advisors at my school SUCK!) =)😡

Sorry for the long post I'm just so confused!

CV
 
Dear Adcom

Ok so I guess i'm looking for commentary on where you think my app could improve and how good my odds are. As the name implies my home state is NY, 28N MCAT (10V,10B, 8P) first time taking the MCAT this august. My gpa overall is 3.2 science is 3.1 , i go to an engineering school (in the top 5 by US Weekly) and between freshmen year and junior year 77 of my credits are pure science, i don't have the opperunity to take alot of english type classes to boost my gpa, there is an upwards trend my junior year my gpa was 3.71 cum and 3.77 PCBM. I've done research for my chemistry department and a major NYC hospital. I've had to work all throughout college ( and for those who are going to say you shoula taken out loan, i'm on a full scholarship, but i still need $ to help my family out) in a Long term care facility for the past 3 years. I'm not particular about where i go i'd like to stay in ny for personal reasons but anywhere in the contential US is A O.k. with me. Thanks
You could retake the MCAT, above 30 would expand your options quite a bit. Another option is to not apply this year, work your rear off for a ~4.0 senior year and great MCAT retake, then apply next year. Your work sounds like med experience which is great. Or you can just apply like you are and then reapply if it doesn't work out.
 
Dear adcoms,
I am planning to apply to med school this coming cycle to get into an 08 class. I currently have around a 3.6 GPA and a 10PS,10V,11BS MCAT. The problem is that so far I have-not done any extracurricular. I did not get a car until this year and was not able to volunteer at hospitals because of this, but this coming semester I may be participating in a study involving arthroscopic surgery, (I am hoping to go into orthopedics). Will one semester of volunteering and possibly shadowing be enough to be somewhat competitive at state schools (I plan on only applying to Fl schools because I can’t afford the cost of going OOS.) Should I wait another year and accumulate more EC’s?
My committee really likes to see a variety of extracurricular activities, volunteering, medical experience, etc. If you can afford the time and money, apply and then reapply if it doesn't work.
 
At the risk of being a "what are my chances" poster, I have a question about MCAT score distribution. I'm not sure how you all weight MCAT subscores. For instance, I have a 33P (11 V, 13 PS, 9 BS). Would that 9 severely hurt my application? Or is the total score more important to you all?
NRAI is right that even scores are better, but I wouldn't sweat a 9. A 7 on the other hand might require a retake because they are sometimes screened out.
 
Hello (Adcoms and all),

I was told in another thread that if you are accepted to multiple schools, you can accept at more than one school (and then eventually withdraw from all but one at a certain date). Can someone please corroborate this? Is it completely true (for all schools)?

EDIT: I found this on the AAMC site:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

Does this mean acceptances that you have not responded to, or acceptances that you have accepted, or both?
The process for MD schools is to respond to the acceptance (generally with a small deposit or whatever) and then by May 15 drop all but one acceptance, at which point you get your other deposits back.
 
I've posted my story on other threads, so bare with me If I'm repetitive. Im 21 years old and unfortunately, Ive had to support my family for the last 3 years...And within those years my mother burned her arm, and my sister had an emergency colon operation and was in the hospital for almost 6 months. That being said, I'm still not done with anything because Ive had to work full time...Anyway, I hopefully start Nursing School next year( I want something to fall back on due to my financial situation)after that Ill get my BSN...Now, would it look bad if I take the pre requisites for Med School is a non-ordered fashion? I plan to take some at the University where ill do my BSN & some at the local CC because they offer more classes and better times...Does my whole story put me down in any way? I know what I want to do, but certain circumstances (life) has put obstacles in my way...But I've still managed to get my AA, and start Nursing school next year while working Full Time. ..Any input/advice would be appreciated...
Your story will be very compelling on your application, no doubt. You still have to have pretty good grades and MCAT, of course 😳. I would try to take Organic and Physics at your U rather than CC.
O yea & Im sort of confused in the classes I have to take as my pre req's...In order to get into the nursing program I have to take Microbiology and Chemistry...They are both General but do they still count? I know its a year of each(Chem,Bio,Phy) but which exact ones do I have to take?
CV
That's somewhat dependent on where you're applying and definitely dependent on your university. Usually there's a list on the university web site or advising office that lists courses that qualify for most medical schools' pre-reqs. 1 year general biology (not micro) with lab, 1 year general chemistry with lab, 1 year physics (need not be calculus based) with lab and one year organic chemistry with lab is typical, although some schools want biochem or genetics.
 
I've posted this elsewhere as well, so please forgive me for posting it again. I was just wondering if it makes any difference whether or not you receive a "thank you" note. I had a really wonderful conversation with one of my interviewers, so I'd really like to thank him. In addition, would it better to send an e-mail or to mail a thank-you card (keeping in mind the different amounts of time neded for the person to receive the thank you note)?

Thanks!
 
I've posted my story on other threads, so bare with me If I'm repetitive. Im 21 years old and unfortunately, Ive had to support my family for the last 3 years...And within those years my mother burned her arm, and my sister had an emergency colon operation and was in the hospital for almost 6 months. That being said, I'm still not done with anything because Ive had to work full time...Anyway, I hopefully start Nursing School next year( I want something to fall back on due to my financial situation)after that Ill get my BSN...Now, would it look bad if I take the pre requisites for Med School is a non-ordered fashion? I plan to take some at the University where ill do my BSN & some at the local CC because they offer more classes and better times...Does my whole story put me down in any way? I know what I want to do, but certain circumstances (life) has put obstacles in my way...But I've still managed to get my AA, and start Nursing school next year while working Full Time. ..Any input/advice would be appreciated...

O yea & Im sort of confused in the classes I have to take as my pre req's...In order to get into the nursing program I have to take Microbiology and Chemistry...They are both General but do they still count? I know its a year of each(Chem,Bio,Phy) but which exact ones do I have to take?

(Yea the advisors at my school SUCK!) =)😡

Sorry for the long post I'm just so confused!

CV

Sorry to deviate

Unless if you dont have a bachelors yet I wouldnt spend the 4 years of getting a BSN as a "potential back up to med school".... If you have yet to complete a bachelors degree than this is a great idea👍

But if you do have a bachelors and are doing a BSN as a back up then I think you should know that EVERYONE GETS INTO MED SCHOOL...it may not be harvard, it may not be yale, it may not even be in the US.... but everyone gets in somewhere. Where it be a US MD school, a US DO school, or a carribean/european school....EVERYONE GETS IN SOMEWHERE.....so dont be disheartened.

GOOD LUCK with your situation,
NRai
 
Sorry to deviate

Unless if you dont have a bachelors yet I wouldnt spend the 4 years of getting a BSN as a "potential back up to med school".... If you have yet to complete a bachelors degree than this is a great idea👍

But if you do have a bachelors and are doing a BSN as a back up then I think you should know that EVERYONE GETS INTO MED SCHOOL...it may not be harvard, it may not be yale, it may not even be in the US.... but everyone gets in somewhere. Where it be a US MD school, a US DO school, or a carribean/european school....EVERYONE GETS IN SOMEWHERE.....so dont be disheartened.

GOOD LUCK with your situation,
NRai

oh really? well i guess many take several years to get in and others may "settle" for something they really didn't want. And do all of those who apply become US licensed doctors?
 
I've posted this elsewhere as well, so please forgive me for posting it again. I was just wondering if it makes any difference whether or not you receive a "thank you" note. I had a really wonderful conversation with one of my interviewers, so I'd really like to thank him. In addition, would it better to send an e-mail or to mail a thank-you card (keeping in mind the different amounts of time neded for the person to receive the thank you note)?

Thanks!
Probably doesn't make a difference but it's a nice, professional thing to do. Either electronic or paper would be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to deviate

Unless if you dont have a bachelors yet I wouldnt spend the 4 years of getting a BSN as a "potential back up to med school".... If you have yet to complete a bachelors degree than this is a great idea👍

But if you do have a bachelors and are doing a BSN as a back up then I think you should know that EVERYONE GETS INTO MED SCHOOL...it may not be harvard, it may not be yale, it may not even be in the US.... but everyone gets in somewhere. Where it be a US MD school, a US DO school, or a carribean/european school....EVERYONE GETS IN SOMEWHERE.....so dont be disheartened.

GOOD LUCK with your situation,
NRai


So, I didn't really care when you were posting on this thread trying to be helpful. But when you start lying, and talking out of your rear end, then it's just not cool. The above statement is not true...and for people who are reapplicants several times over, that statement probably stings a little...
 
Hey Adcom2,

I sent you a PM...do you respond to those? If not I can post on here.
 
Dear adcomm(s),
I am an international student who is currently applying to medical school. I completed a degree in Medical technology at a university here in the US and I have been working at a hospital in Texas for the past two years; initially as a phlebotomist(while I attended school) and presently as a certified med tech. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 34M MCAT score. I was also involved in numerous organizations. I applied to 8 schools and currently have 5 interviews.
1. As an international student is my application treated differently?
2. What do you think are my chances of getting in?

Thanks much for your time.
 
Dear adcom,

I have an average gpa at 3.5 and I recently took the mcat. I got a 31M, my breakdown was 13PS 9VS 9BS.


1. Do adcoms look at the composite score or look at the breakdown?

2. How much weight is placed when looking at the mcat on the letter grade for the writing sample? Is there a way to compensate for the low writing sample score?

3. I'm not a science major, I'm an econ major. Because of my low bio score, would you recommend I retake it to demostrate some bio prowess? The only upper div bio class I have under my belt is biochem.

Thanks in advance!
 
Dear adcom,

I have an average gpa at 3.5 and I recently took the mcat. I got a 31M, my breakdown was 13PS 9VS 9BS.


1. Do adcoms look at the composite score or look at the breakdown?

2. How much weight is placed when looking at the mcat on the letter grade for the writing sample? Is there a way to compensate for the low writing sample score?

3. I'm not a science major, I'm an econ major. Because of my low bio score, would you recommend I retake it to demostrate some bio prowess? The only upper div bio class I have under my belt is biochem.

Thanks in advance!
I vote for bio prowess.
 
So, I didn't really care when you were posting on this thread trying to be helpful. But when you start lying, and talking out of your rear end, then it's just not cool. The above statement is not true...and for people who are reapplicants several times over, that statement probably stings a little...

I m not lying...and why should anyone care about what you think?

Everyone with an above 2.0 gpa will get into SOME med school. Like I said before it may not be in the US. Would I advise someone to go to a shady carribean school, never....but there are some good ones also Ross, AUC, SGU, St. Mathews, and SABA are good alternatives if a US school just doesnt work out for you after applying a few times and becoming a doctor is your lifes dream.

-NRai
 
hi,

i have a quick question: do schools know how many acceptances a prospective student is holding and to which schools? or is such info only revealed after everyone makes a decision in May?

thank you
 
hi,

i have a quick question: do schools know how many acceptances a prospective student is holding and to which schools? or is such info only revealed after everyone makes a decision in May?

thank you

right now we don't know unless you tell us.
 
I got the following message from my first choice regarding my hold status: Following a review of your application, your science GPA and MCAT score
were not as strong as that which we typically see in our applicants.
Therefore, if you have additional updates or information for us in that
regard (as well as any other updates or information) that would be most
helpful to send.

It seems that they want to see that I have taken more science classes and gotten As - but I haven't! Since I applied, I have an additional 2 publications (one in a top journal) that are somewhat basic science heavy - but those are my only true updates. I really want a chance to interview! What should I do (I'm not below begging at this point 😉 )?
 
Dear Adcomm(s)

Thanks for taking the time to battle with our neurotic questions. Question from a non-trad: how are students who are working full-time viewed? Any leniency with respect to lower than average sci gpa's? Did very very well in undergrad but now that I'm out in the real world, it's tough. I think it would have been very easy to do well in a 30,000 dollar a year post bacc, as it is much harder to thrive in class while supporting yourself -- need a job that offers health insurance, so could not do anything else (long story). How are these non-trads pair-wise compared to those who are not working? In my mind it's a different lifestyle, entirely. But I've heard that med schools do not care. 😡

Would taking upper bio electives be more advisable than doing special master's program? Seems like even with the latter you can still get weeded out of the screen because of a low ugpa.

Thanks again.
 
I have a long way to go before applying to medical schools but thought I'd try and ask a question. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Because of the requirements for my major and interest in other courses, I thought of taking Organic Chemistry during the summer to free up space in my schedule. My plan was to take both semesters (with lab) but due to me being needed at home and the cost of summer tuition at my school, I had to rethink that. My other option is to take the courses at the the University of S. Florida but I'm afraid that will be frowned upon because a) it was taken over the summer and b) USF isn't of the same selectively as my university (as I was told). Now, I'll probably take both lecture courses at USF but the labs during the regular school year. Is this a bad idea? I've considered taking non prereqs but I don't really have any options after looking through their summer course listing. Thanks.
 
Dear adcoms,

Sometimes we hear stories of people with low stats getting into med school (i.e. 3.1 with 27 mcat...etc). What do you think separates these people from the other people with higher stats? Lets say that a schools average stats are 3.6 and 31 mcat; I m sure you have probably accepted people with low stats as I mentioned above. What stood out about their application? Can you really learn a lot about someone from their personal statement, LORS, activities lists, secondary essays.......etc to over look those below average stats?

-NRai
 
Dear adcoms,

Sometimes we hear stories of people with low stats getting into med school (i.e. 3.1 with 27 mcat...etc). What do you think separates these people from the other people with higher stats? Lets say that a schools average stats are 3.6 and 31 mcat; I m sure you have probably accepted people with low stats as I mentioned above. What stood out about their application? Can you really learn a lot about someone from their personal statement, LORS, activities lists, secondary essays.......etc to over look those below average stats?

-NRai
When I'v seen people with lower stats get into med school they often come from what are considered highly competitve pre med programs.Also adcoms do pay attention to applicants who have somewhat lower grades by virtue of taking a heavy course load,with difficult science courses chem,engineering etc.Sometimes very unique ECs will do the trick.
 
Hi Adcoms,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm an undergrad senior and I'm going to work in the real world for a while before potentially returning to med school. I'm wondering if you generally give increased consideration to candidates with strong "business" resumes - for instance, if someone comes from a prestigious investment banking firm, will you give him/her additional "credit" in the application process?

Here's the situation I have: two offers, one at a prestigious investment bank that I'm sure you've heard of, and one at a small strategy consulting firm that you most likely have not. The consulting firm is actually fairly competitive to get hired at, but has little name recognition. I'm hesitant to take that job because I think it might be a good idea to get the big name on my resume, and I'm wondering if either will have an impact on my application to med school, if I choose to apply. Thanks so much.

Luke
 
Hey Adcom
question about female interview attire
Ok, so I just found out about my first interview🙂 yay, excited bc it's my top choice. i was a first time MCATer this August.
Anyways, I have asked around and people give me different opinions on this. I purchased a very very nice suit from Express with the pants and the skirt. The skirt is right above the knee. I also have high heels I like but they are about 2.5-3 inches. I have heard people comment that student adcoms make fun of women who wear heels like that, or wear too short a skirt. The thing is, I love shoes like that and have no problem in walking in them. I actually feel more comfortable when I wear higher shoes. What kind of advice can you give about this? Sorry if it sounds silly but it is a genuine concern.
thanks a lot🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Adcom,

I am a 32-year-old non-trad who is enrolled in the UPenn post-bacc program right now. I am not clear on how my post-bacc gpa will be viewed by adcoms vs. my undergrad. Can you clarify this for me? My undergrad was a 3.3 overall (latin major) and a 3.2 bpcm (I did complete all of the science pre-reqs then). I am currently retaking only general chemistry in addition to upper level biology and biochemistry courses and I seem on track for a (hopfully) 3.75 gpa when it is all said and done. The Penn program seems much more competitive than my undergrad was, will the grades be viewed differently as a result? Thank you.
 
Good morning Adcom,
What are the rules of etiquette for sending updates to your top choice school after your application is complete? A research project I took a big part in during college has just been chosen to receive an award of excellence from a major national non-profit organization. Is it appropriate to send a copy of the project and an update on the award to a top choice school?
Thanks for your help.
 
Hi, friendly-like adcom people,

I have two questions. First, there's been a bit of rumbling around the boards about letters of interest. As someone who's yet to receive an interview invite, does this affect my file status at all? Specifically, does an update letter and/or letter of interest cause a re-review of the file? I'm making the perhaps naive assumption that my stats are decent enough that I'm in limbo, not the reject pile.

My second question is about abstracts. I've been lucky enough to get second authorship on several abstracts. They were all submitted to conferences that require publication of the subsequent paper in their journal in the next year. I've been told that abstract authorship counts for less than paper authorship -- does this happen at your schools?

Thanks!
 
Dear Adcomm,

Thank you so very much for the time you have spent answering questions on this site. My question is slightly different from most that you receive. I have been accepted to several medical schools and feel very grateful for that. About a year ago, I was charged with 2 class C misdemeanors (open container and possession of drug paraphanalia). I did not commit these crimes and the charges were dropped with a Not Guilty finding before a court date was even scheduled. However, the charges are still a part of my criminal background. Do you think a medical school would rescind my acceptance just because I was charged, but not guilty?
(The applications only ask for crimes that you have been convicted of, so it was not listed on my application)

Thank you for your consideration,

slowNsteady
 
Hey Adcom2,

I sent you a PM...do you respond to those? If not I can post on here.
I would prefer to answer here, since your question is likely one that other people may share, and theoretically they are reading along. I will probably get around to going through my PMs eventually, but it's finals time now!
 
I got the following message from my first choice regarding my hold status: Following a review of your application, your science GPA and MCAT score
were not as strong as that which we typically see in our applicants.
Therefore, if you have additional updates or information for us in that
regard (as well as any other updates or information) that would be most
helpful to send.

It seems that they want to see that I have taken more science classes and gotten As - but I haven't! Since I applied, I have an additional 2 publications (one in a top journal) that are somewhat basic science heavy - but those are my only true updates. I really want a chance to interview! What should I do (I'm not below begging at this point 😉 )?
Yeah, sounds like they evaluated your app and found it wanting. Tough break, maybe another of your schools will/has come through. Begging would be pretty low-yield.
 
Hi adcomms,
I have a question about satisfying pre-reqs. Many schools list that one year of organic chemistry plus labs are needed, whereas some schools list the amount of credits needed. At my undergraduate institution, I took a 2 quarter organic chemistry series plus labs, giving me a total of 14 quarter credits (9.8 semester hours according to AMCAS). This series is by no means a survey course since it satisfies requirements for B.S. in Molecular biology amonst other majors. Since I do not have exactly one year of organic chemistry, does this disqualify me from schools that require one year? The amount of credits I've earned do exceed the amount of credits needed for schools that state they need 8 semester credits of Ochem.

In general, do schools count satisfaction of prereqs by the length of time studied (i.e. one quarter, 2 quarter, etc.) or by amount of credits earned (i.e. 8 semester credits)? I find that my undergraduate institution differed from other quarter based schools because we take less classes each quarter (3 instead of 4) but our classes are given more credit value (5 credits per course instead of 3-4 credits). Therefore, I do not have a full year of ochem lecture/lab or biology labs but I have more credits than other people from different universities. I am really worried about satisfying pre-reqs for many medical schools that state I need one of year of such and such. Consulting my prehealth advisor is pretty useless since she constantly gives me wrong information.

Thank you very much!!!
 
Question from a non-trad: how are students who are working full-time viewed? Any leniency with respect to lower than average sci gpa's?
Depends on how much lower than average. I want to see that you can handle the med school work; if you have convinced me of that then certainly having a non-traditional background brings good diversity to the class. In my personal experience, med school is considerably harder academically than working full time while taking 10+ credits of post-bacc sciences. So that's the
bar you need to get over.
Would taking upper bio electives be more advisable than doing special master's program? Seems like even with the latter you can still get weeded out of the screen because of a low ugpa.
Really depends on just how low. Most screens will only weed out below, say, 3.0, and even then if you have decent MCATs you might get a look.
 
Now, I'll probably take both lecture courses at USF but the labs during the regular school year. Is this a bad idea?
As long as you're taking Organic at an accredited 4-year institution, it shouldn't make one bit of difference.
 
Dear adcoms,

Sometimes we hear stories of people with low stats getting into med school (i.e. 3.1 with 27 mcat...etc). What do you think separates these people from the other people with higher stats? Lets say that a schools average stats are 3.6 and 31 mcat; I m sure you have probably accepted people with low stats as I mentioned above. What stood out about their application? Can you really learn a lot about someone from their personal statement, LORS, activities lists, secondary essays.......etc to over look those below average stats?

-NRai
The candidate has to convince me that he can handle the "academic rigors" of medical school. After that, I really don't care too much about grades. Certainly really good academics can be a plus in an application, but so can many many things. 3.1 and 27 is tough unless she has recent grades that show strength in the sciences. Can we learn a lot about people? Of course, many times we learn things that they likely didn't intend us to learn, like how arrogant they are, etc. One big disadvantage for an applicant is to have poor advising and/or a poorly constructed application, principally because that prevents us from getting to know the applicant.
 
I think it might be a good idea to get the big name on my resume, and I'm wondering if either will have an impact on my application to med school, if I choose to apply. Thanks so much.

Luke
I doubt anyone will care whether you worked at a "big name" firm. May not, in fact, recognize the name. Work where it will be the most interesting for you so that you can succeed and bring interesting experiences to your application.
 
Hey Adcom
question about female interview attire
Ok, so I just found out about my first interview🙂 yay, excited bc it's my top choice. i was a first time MCATer this August.
Anyways, I have asked around and people give me different opinions on this. I purchased a very very nice suit from Express with the pants and the skirt. The skirt is right above the knee. I also have high heels I like but they are about 2.5-3 inches. I have heard people comment that student adcoms make fun of women who wear heels like that, or wear too short a skirt. The thing is, I love shoes like that and have no problem in walking in them. I actually feel more comfortable when I wear higher shoes. What kind of advice can you give about this? Sorry if it sounds silly but it is a genuine concern.
thanks a lot🙂
Congrats on your interview. The key to dressing is conservative, business-like. It's good to look nice, but you want to take no chance of being perceived as sexualizing the interview. Clinicians tend to be pretty aware of this stuff. I don't interview applicants, but here's my probably worthless opinion: the heels are fine, but the skirt might be a little short. Get an opinion from, say, a bank manager type.
 
Hi Adcom,

I am a 32-year-old non-trad who is enrolled in the UPenn post-bacc program right now. I am not clear on how my post-bacc gpa will be viewed by adcoms vs. my undergrad. Can you clarify this for me? My undergrad was a 3.3 overall (latin major) and a 3.2 bpcm (I did complete all of the science pre-reqs then). I am currently retaking only general chemistry in addition to upper level biology and biochemistry courses and I seem on track for a (hopfully) 3.75 gpa when it is all said and done. The Penn program seems much more competitive than my undergrad was, will the grades be viewed differently as a result? Thank you.
Your 3.75 in the Penn post-bacc should serve you well. 3.8+ would be better, to be sure. A good post-bacc is like the ultimate upward grade trend; shows desire and capacity. Penn is well-respected, natch.
 
Good morning Adcom,
What are the rules of etiquette for sending updates to your top choice school after your application is complete? A research project I took a big part in during college has just been chosen to receive an award of excellence from a major national non-profit organization. Is it appropriate to send a copy of the project and an update on the award to a top choice school?
Thanks for your help.
I would send a letter describing the project and award, rather than a copy of the project. Definitely send an update.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have two questions. First, there's been a bit of rumbling around the boards about letters of interest. As someone who's yet to receive an interview invite, does this affect my file status at all? Specifically, does an update letter and/or letter of interest cause a re-review of the file? I'm making the perhaps naive assumption that my stats are decent enough that I'm in limbo, not the reject pile.
Totally school-dependent, no re-review at mine. Once you're scored you're scored.
My second question is about abstracts. I've been lucky enough to get second authorship on several abstracts. They were all submitted to conferences that require publication of the subsequent paper in their journal in the next year. I've been told that abstract authorship counts for less than paper authorship -- does this happen at your schools?
First authorship is more impressive than not-first. I suppose that a paper is better than an abstract, but in my committee we are more interested in the number of years a person has spent working on a project. Published results are nice but not really crucial.
 
Dear Adcomm,

Thank you so very much for the time you have spent answering questions on this site. My question is slightly different from most that you receive. I have been accepted to several medical schools and feel very grateful for that. About a year ago, I was charged with 2 class C misdemeanors (open container and possession of drug paraphanalia). I did not commit these crimes and the charges were dropped with a Not Guilty finding before a court date was even scheduled. However, the charges are still a part of my criminal background. Do you think a medical school would rescind my acceptance just because I was charged, but not guilty?
(The applications only ask for crimes that you have been convicted of, so it was not listed on my application)

Thank you for your consideration,

slowNsteady
You need legal counsel, not a clueless 2nd year adcom member.
 
Hi adcomms,
I have a question about satisfying pre-reqs.
Call the schools you're accepted at and ask if you fill the requirements. You could always take some little filler course in the spring or next summer if for some freakish reason your 9.8 credits isn't enough.
 
Sorry if this question is irrelevant to this thread, but I have a question about applying to top-tier schools.

"The Not So Short Introduction to Getting Into Medical School" guide available elsewhere on this site categorizes Tier-1 schools (ie. Ivies etc.) as research powerhouses and suggests one should not apply to these if one does not have considerable research experience.

My pre-med adviser told me research experience is more important when it comes to applying for an M.D./Ph.D (as opposed to just an M.D). She said it wasn't even necessary for prospective M.D.'s to have worked in a lab.

What do you adcomm(s)/applicants think?

To give you some background on my situation: I'm an international student, so I need to apply to erm....wealthy schools to increase my chances of getting financial aid (as federal funds are unavailable to me). I've worked in a couple labs for a year, but didn't really enjoy the experience or learn much, and I'm therefore wary of highlighting it in my application. I did end up with my name (which was among seven other names) on an abstract though.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.
 
In your personal experience or your personal opinion? Because if it's the former then you must have had an easy job.


Depends on how much lower than average. I want to see that you can handle the med school work; if you have convinced me of that then certainly having a non-traditional background brings good diversity to the class. In my personal experience, med school is considerably harder academically than working full time while taking 10+ credits of post-bacc sciences. So that's the
bar you need to get over.

Really depends on just how low. Most screens will only weed out below, say, 3.0, and even then if you have decent MCATs you might get a look.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.