my sister wanted me to post this message

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my sister has a 4.0 at UNC-CH and a 24 average on the academic dat. but only a 17 on the PAT. she thinks this will keep her out of most dental schools. should she be worried? she's really stressed about it, I'm trying to tell her that with her grades and scores she'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt she'll have any problems anywhere. Those are great, great scores. Even the 17 is still above average, right? Where's she applying?

she's applying to the easiest ones she can get into. schools with 3.2 averages. Indiana is one of choices, UNC-CH I can't remember all of them. But if she could she would apply to all 54, but instead she cut it down to something like 11. I still think that's too much. How many do you guys think would be an appropriate number to apply to, considering the cost of applying.

Reactions: 1 user
11 is a good number. With her stats, she probably doesn't NEED to apply to that many, but it doesn't hurt. The money you spend on applying doesn't amount to much compared to the cost of dental school. However, if she gets interview invites at every school (and I think she will) I might be more picky about where I interview and maybe cut it down to 5 or 6 depending on how many you have to fly to. As long as she's not applying to schools that except very few out-of-state applicants she won't have any problem. If she's really nervous (and it sounds like she is) tell her to get a grip. She has to be confident for her interviews. Her only problems remaining (and this is rather silly to discuss with someone with a 4.0/24) are 95% interview and <5% PAT. Out-of-state schools or Harvard aside, I would be shocked if she didn't get into every school. Big choices ahead. Big choices.