WAMC 2024-25 (previous grad. school dismissal) (ADVICE WANTED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldie1

Reaction score
Date of submission: 1.4.2024
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA:
not sure, mostly A's, some B's, 1 C
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
Bio: not sure; Chem: not sure; Physics: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
plan to study in the upcoming months and take May 2024
State of Residence: North Dakota

Undergrad Attended: NDSU
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Chemistry, Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. I completed my undergraduate degree in 3 years, attending one year of graduate physical therapy school post-covid and despite having A's & B's while attending was dismissed for failing 2 final exams. Then took 1 semester of classes towards an accounting/business degree (at UND) while working a food & beverage job, but changed paths to take 1 semester of pre-requisites for dental assisting (community & technical college). Currently am about to start my last semester of my dental assisting program (community & technical college), and am registered to take organic chemistry 2 (at MSUM) to complete my prerequisites for applying to dental school. I plan to take the DAT this May, 2024. I also plan to take biochemistry online over the summer of 2024 from NDSU.

Shadowing Experience: 130 hours, majority general dentistry (~3 hrs/each endo/ortho/pediatrics/surgery)
Volunteering Experience: 114 hrs girl scout leader (majority)/state dental association/during physical therapy school
Employment: ~20-40 hrs/week depending on season as server at country (golf) club
Research: 1 semester (3 credits) class researching new antibiotics
Other Extracurriculars: Interim Substitute Teacher, church member, was a member of my pre-dental club in undegrad before switching to pre-phyiscal therapy
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No, but am interested in such events especially if they may help me gain insight on the dental field and increase acceptance chances.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graduated undergrad with honors, various scholarships
LOR type and strength: have not asked for any, yet. Plan to ask 1 dentist, employer, & 1 science teacher
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Previous dismissal from physical therapy school. Prior to covid I was pre-dental before I went pre-physical therapy, so the trial and error of major changes and time that it has taken me to realize I'm passionate about dentistry would be a reg flag, I think. Too much of a reg flag to apply?
School list:

University of Minnesota
Creighton University
Marquette University
University of Colorado
LECOM Florida
UT Health Houston
Texas A & M
ATSU

Members don't see this ad.

Not a red flag to apply. But you will have to be honest about being in a prehealth professional program if that applies. Which I believe it does. And you’ll have to show adcoms why dentistry is the right fit for you. And also that you won’t be a fail out risk. Dentistry isn’t easier, honestly it’s probably harder than physical therapy but who knows. You just need to be ready if they ask.

Also, your school list needs to be refined. You don’t stand a chance for Texas schools, so I’d cross those off. Without a DAT score the rest of the schools would be difficult to be sure. Creighton Marquette and UMN are good. Colorado would be decent, LECOM is a stretch given location. ATSU might be alright if you meet their mission. I’d also look at MOSDOH and UMKC. May need to throw Touro in there too since they’re opening a newer school and accepting more students.

I can’t say much else without a DAT score. You’re also going to want 4 LORs. Typically 2 sci, one within your major, one non stem - non stem prof, dentist, etc. and then a supervisor - volunteer, work, research. This should cover the requirements for almost every school.

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: 1.4.2024
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: not sure, mostly A's, some B's, 1 C
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Bio: not sure; Chem: not sure; Physics: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): plan to study in the upcoming months and take May 2024
State of Residence: North Dakota

Undergrad Attended: NDSU
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Chemistry, Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. I completed my undergraduate degree in 3 years, attending one year of graduate physical therapy school post-covid and despite having A's & B's while attending was dismissed for failing 2 final exams. Then took 1 semester of classes towards an accounting/business degree (at UND) while working a food & beverage job, but changed paths to take 1 semester of pre-requisites for dental assisting (community & technical college). Currently am about to start my last semester of my dental assisting program (community & technical college), and am registered to take organic chemistry 2 (at MSUM) to complete my prerequisites for applying to dental school. I plan to take the DAT this May, 2024. I also plan to take biochemistry online over the summer of 2024 from NDSU.

Shadowing Experience: 130 hours, majority general dentistry (~3 hrs/each endo/ortho/pediatrics/surgery)
Volunteering Experience: 114 hrs girl scout leader (majority)/state dental association/during physical therapy school
Employment: ~20-40 hrs/week depending on season as server at country (golf) club
Research: 1 semester (3 credits) class researching new antibiotics
Other Extracurriculars: Interim Substitute Teacher, church member, was a member of my pre-dental club in undegrad before switching to pre-phyiscal therapy
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No, but am interested in such events especially if they may help me gain insight on the dental field and increase acceptance chances.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graduated undergrad with honors, various scholarships
LOR type and strength: have not asked for any, yet. Plan to ask 1 dentist, employer, & 1 science teacher
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Previous dismissal from physical therapy school. Prior to covid I was pre-dental before I went pre-physical therapy, so the trial and error of major changes and time that it has taken me to realize I'm passionate about dentistry would be a reg flag, I think. Too much of a reg flag to apply?
School list:
University of Minnesota
Creighton University
Marquette University
University of Colorado
LECOM Florida
UT Health Houston
Texas A & M
ATSU
how long ago did you flunk the exams?

texas schools would be a donation...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a red flag to apply. But you will have to be honest about being in a prehealth professional program if that applies. Which I believe it does. And you’ll have to show adcoms why dentistry is the right fit for you. And also that you won’t be a fail out risk. Dentistry isn’t easier, honestly it’s probably harder than physical therapy but who knows. You just need to be ready if they ask.

Also, your school list needs to be refined. You don’t stand a chance for Texas schools, so I’d cross those off. Without a DAT score the rest of the schools would be difficult to be sure. Creighton Marquette and UMN are good. Colorado would be decent, LECOM is a stretch given location. ATSU might be alright if you meet their mission. I’d also look at MOSDOH and UMKC. May need to throw Touro in there too since they’re opening a newer school and accepting more students.

I can’t say much else without a DAT score. You’re also going to want 4 LORs. Typically 2 sci, one within your major, one non stem - non stem prof, dentist, etc. and then a supervisor - volunteer, work, research. This should cover the requirements for almost every school.
I greatly appreciate the honest feedback, thank you! I expect dentistry to be harder and also believe that my prior prehealth professional program history applies, so I am very open to sharing all of the details of my academic history with schools. I think being as honest and upfront as possible is the best route to go regardless. I will refine my list according to your suggestions. Again, thank you so much for the feedback!

how long ago did you flunk the exams?

texas schools would be a donation...
I flunked the final exams in May 2022 and earned B's in both courses.
I greatly appreciate your honesty about the Texas schools and won't bother looking into them further.
Thank you so much for the feedback!

I flunked the final exams in May 2022 and earned B's in both courses.
I greatly appreciate your honesty about the Texas schools and won't bother looking into them further.
Thank you so much for the feedback!
think more regionally
take out texas lecom
look at umkc, iowa nebraska oklahoma
the illinois schools, etc

and get back to us when you have a dat score in hand...

Can I ask if you had to take the GRE for your PT program? What was your most recent score there?

You are definitely hitting the usual suspects as a ND resident. I would stay within the region. I don't know if Midwestern IL would take you, but if you grew up in rural ND, I can't see why they wouldn't consider you (because you didn't grow up in Chicagoland).

The more interesting question is if it is your intent to return to practice in North Dakota. You may want to think about what your options are and how they conform to your vision to serving your community as a dentist: Dental Loan Repayment Information

If it is convenient to you, volunteer with the NDDA. Find a way to get additional dentists to help you choose a good list.

Last edited: