My situation. A disaster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what to do?

Ok I am now in my 4th year and have to come up with some decisions. In my first year I have had it really rough with family problems and living on my own. I had no awareness of how important grades were, and I had the false assumption up until 2nd year that as long as I get around a 72% I should be fine.... WRONG.

Although my marks have been improving from ~61% average in 1st year to an almost 89% average in my last two years I am shocked about how stupid I was early on. I have drastically changed, but it might be too late.

My chemistry, and physics courses are all in the D range. My program doesnt allow me to take it again and I must live with this. However, all my other courses I have between 72-95%. It is just that the BCP (CP part) will kill my chances.

What should I do? I have shown amazing progress, the DAT scores are high, but my 1st two years are HORRIBLE!!! (for reasons that nobody would really care about). I Shadow a dentist and I work in research at my school.

Am I screwed? GPA is ~ 3.16 ... but only due to years 1 and 2 Chemistry and physics.

THanks
Jaba

Members don't see this ad.

what to do?

Ok I am now in my 4th year and have to come up with some decisions. In my first year I have had it really rough with family problems and living on my own. I had no awareness of how important grades were, and I had the false assumption up until 2nd year that as long as I get around a 72% I should be fine.... WRONG.

Although my marks have been improving from ~61% average in 1st year to an almost 89% average in my last two years I am shocked about how stupid I was early on. I have drastically changed, but it might be too late.

My chemistry, and physics courses are all in the D range. My program doesnt allow me to take it again and I must live with this. However, all my other courses I have between 72-95%. It is just that the BCP (CP part) will kill my chances.

What should I do? I have shown amazing progress, the DAT scores are high, but my 1st two years are HORRIBLE!!! (for reasons that nobody would really care about). I Shadow a dentist and I work in research at my school.

Am I screwed? GPA is ~ 3.16 ... but only due to years 1 and 2 Chemistry and physics.

THanks
Jaba

From my lurking on here, I have found out many people with similar GPAs as yours (even less) who got into Dental School. I say, you are only screwed if you give up now.

Why not retake those two classes?

Thats what id do... Who cares if your program dosent let you, go somewhere else and do it...

Easy to fix..

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not retake those two classes?

Thats what id do... Who cares if your program dosent let you, go somewhere else and do it...

Easy to fix..

hey... well that includes chem 1, 2, orgo chem 1,2 and physics 1,2
I am in my last year in Canada and I cant take those risks of taking the courses again. Many schools in Canada need 90+ in last 2 years average!!! so this is why I shouldnt really re-take them.

Is it a huge deal? I was worried it would be.

Apply with your current scores, get a sweet DAT score. If you don't get in, have some master programs set up and make up for early mistakes, produce some hot scores and apply again before your masters degree is complete with a better GPA (showing you can hang in D-school) and a killer DAT with lots of shadowing, good letters of rec, good essay, etc.

It would be a mistakle to give up because of an error in judgment your first couple of years. I averaged a D my first year in college. Probationary status and a little self motivation and i brought it up to ~decent enough to get in.

GL!

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it very much! I will continue to give it my best and also hope for the best. I really just want to come to the USA!!!! I get tired of it up here in the COLD!!

I did awful my first year of school because I played too many video games, no lie. Anyway, I ended up with a 3.2ish and 2.99 BCP. My DAT was 20/21/22. (in undergrad i retook some classes) My first year applying, I didn't get in. So this year I took 5 upper level science courses, and have scored well in all of them. I applied in august to 2 schools (you should apply in MAY!!!) for reasons I won't go into, and got interviewed and accepted at my number one school. Bottom line: pick schools that match your scores, do not worry about money, work hard and set yourself apart in extracurriculars(sp), and make sure to APPLY EARLY!!! I can't stress that enough, you will get looked at more because you are showing that you are on top of your game by applying early. Good luck.

I did awful my first year of school because I played too many video games, no lie. Anyway, I ended up with a 3.2ish and 2.99 BCP. My DAT was 20/21/22. (in undergrad i retook some classes) My first year applying, I didn't get in. So this year I took 5 upper level science courses, and have scored well in all of them. I applied in august to 2 schools (you should apply in MAY!!!) for reasons I won't go into, and got interviewed and accepted at my number one school. Bottom line: pick schools that match your scores, do not worry about money, work hard and set yourself apart in extracurriculars(sp), and make sure to APPLY EARLY!!! I can't stress that enough, you will get looked at more because you are showing that you are on top of your game by applying early. Good luck.

Thanks for that!! It is my goal and price is not an issue. I am very upset that here in Canada it is JUST about marks... in the 88+% average. No personal essays, nothing! The reference letters are very impersonal as well mostly applying check marks to questions.

I look forward to hopefully coming to USA!

Thanks everyone for the positive note!! Hope you all get accepted and do well in d-school.

Jaba

hey... well that includes chem 1, 2, orgo chem 1,2 and physics 1,2
I am in my last year in Canada and I cant take those risks of taking the courses again. Many schools in Canada need 90+ in last 2 years average!!! so this is why I shouldnt really re-take them.

Is it a huge deal? I was worried it would be.

Um well seeing as thats 3/4 of your required basic science id say its pretty damn important but what do I know...

Give it a go, personally id rather retake those three classes than spend two years doing a masters.. IF you do really well in them the second time around then dent schools love to see that and to match with your other good grades just tell them your more serious bout it now and have growen up...

But again what do I know im just a student myself i did however retake a couple of mine and it must have worked cause I got accepted at a few places here in the US...

I too am Canadian.... Granted I grew up in the US but still a citizen :D

Any way best of luck to you.

You got D's in chemistry and physics . . . both of which are required science pre-requisites at most schools.

It's your gamble. You can apply as you are now, but if you aren't accepted then I would definitely re-take those classes.

Keep in mind, you have a lot of competition! So give yourself the most chances to succeed.

On these threads, you'll find other people who had D's but were eventually accepted. However it sounds to me like most of those people did one of the following: re-took the classes they got D's in, took upper level division sciences to prove they could handle them, or did a post bac or masters to achieve a competitive GPA.