My situation, advice needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B Baby82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm really hoping that my situation is unique b/c I'd hate it if it'd happened to anyone else. Basically USF is starting a new medical sciences program this year similar to some other one year programs where you take med school courses, etc. and I applied to it back in March before the deadline. I was told the selections would be made in mid April, and sure enough I received an email around 4/20 telling me I had been accepted and once graduate affairs gave final approval I would receive official notification. There was nothing in the language of the email to suggest that I was anything other than accepted pending a formality with the application, so I preceeded to go to Tampa and sign a lease and do all the things you would normally do in preparation for school, things I don't think are unreasonable considering school starts in June.
A couple weeks had passed since then and I still hadn't received any further info about the program so I made some calls and was told that my MCAT scores had not been verified, so I had them faxed in and then promptly received another email, from the same people who had accepted me before, this time telling me my application was denied. This is obviously extremely upsetting since I was already in the program or so I thought. It reflects poorly upon the program's organization and its taught me to be weary of new programs starting up. All I've been able to get out of anyone is that I could have been accepted but later denied due to the program "refining its focus" whatever that means. I'm trying frantically to call the administrators and set up a meeting or something to discuss it, and I've consulted an attorney about potential action so I'm hoping things can work out, but my most pressing concern right now is what action I should take for the next year in the event that I can't enter the formal program this year...I've signed a lease and don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to get out of it when I'm scheduled to move in 3 weeks from tomorrow. I live in Jax, and I question whether UNF would have the number of opportunities available to me as USF would have, so my potential strategy is this. I'm retaking the August MCAT in hopes of scoring above 30, but my bpcm is right at 3.0, so I think it might be good to spend the next year as a non degree seeking student at USF taking upper level science courses to hopefully raise the science gpa up by a couple tenths of a point. I would also like to potentially get involved with some research since I didn't do any as an undergrad. Hopefully after a year my numbers would be much better and I could either decide to directly apply to med schools or enter the med. masters at USF or another program and go from there. The only drawback to this is I'm not sure if I can get financial aid as a non degree seeking student and I would have no other way to pay otherwise. What do you all think? Any suggestions? I was also considering talking to the admissions director at USF's med school to see what his opinions were. I've talked to him before and he was really helpful. I'm really upset about everythign that's happened in the past couple days with this, but I'm also trying to look on the bright side and see what I can do to improve myself. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

B Baby82 said:
Hello everyone, I'm really hoping that my situation is unique b/c I'd hate it if it'd happened to anyone else. Basically USF is starting a new medical sciences program this year similar to some other one year programs where you take med school courses, etc. and I applied to it back in March before the deadline. I was told the selections would be made in mid April, and sure enough I received an email around 4/20 telling me I had been accepted and once graduate affairs gave final approval I would receive official notification. There was nothing in the language of the email to suggest that I was anything other than accepted pending a formality with the application, so I preceeded to go to Tampa and sign a lease and do all the things you would normally do in preparation for school, things I don't think are unreasonable considering school starts in June.
A couple weeks had passed since then and I still hadn't received any further info about the program so I made some calls and was told that my MCAT scores had not been verified, so I had them faxed in and then promptly received another email, from the same people who had accepted me before, this time telling me my application was denied. This is obviously extremely upsetting since I was already in the program or so I thought. It reflects poorly upon the program's organization and its taught me to be weary of new programs starting up. All I've been able to get out of anyone is that I could have been accepted but later denied due to the program "refining its focus" whatever that means. I'm trying frantically to call the administrators and set up a meeting or something to discuss it, and I've consulted an attorney about potential action so I'm hoping things can work out, but my most pressing concern right now is what action I should take for the next year in the event that I can't enter the formal program this year...I've signed a lease and don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to get out of it when I'm scheduled to move in 3 weeks from tomorrow. I live in Jax, and I question whether UNF would have the number of opportunities available to me as USF would have, so my potential strategy is this. I'm retaking the August MCAT in hopes of scoring above 30, but my bpcm is right at 3.0, so I think it might be good to spend the next year as a non degree seeking student at USF taking upper level science courses to hopefully raise the science gpa up by a couple tenths of a point. I would also like to potentially get involved with some research since I didn't do any as an undergrad. Hopefully after a year my numbers would be much better and I could either decide to directly apply to med schools or enter the med. masters at USF or another program and go from there. The only drawback to this is I'm not sure if I can get financial aid as a non degree seeking student and I would have no other way to pay otherwise. What do you all think? Any suggestions? I was also considering talking to the admissions director at USF's med school to see what his opinions were. I've talked to him before and he was really helpful. I'm really upset about everythign that's happened in the past couple days with this, but I'm also trying to look on the bright side and see what I can do to improve myself. Thanks everyone!

thats absolute crap...once they tell you that youre accepted they cant revoke it by suddenly 'reshifting' focus. sue their a$$

Man that sucks. However, if the school said that you were accepted into the program but was pending approval by graduate affairs then that would imply the admissions process is not over until they give you that final notification.
You were indeed admitted to the actual program, BUT that doesn't become official until you were admitted to the school which is represented by graduate affairs.

It appears your program is similar to my PhD program in terms of the admissions process. It states that full admissions requires:

1) Acceptance by the program (whether it be by the program advisors and/or getting a sponsoring professr).

2) Admissions by the office of graduate studies.

With a caveat at the bottom stating the ultimate decision for admissions rests solely on graduate studies. Since graduate studies represents all graduate level students, they are obviously the ruling body and have the final say in anything. Therefore given that they made it clear that your application must be approved by graduate affairs, and you essentially jumped the gun before they gave final notification:(.

Definately talk to them in case there was indeed a mixup, but at the same time, unless I totally misunderstood your post, it seems that the key phrase: "once graduate affairs gave final approval" was quite clear. It could've sounded like a formality but as I pointed out, graduate affairs is a large governing body and they decide who gets in based on who they think best represents the school. Therefore either the MCAT issue caused some confusion or your stats did not meet the cutoffs of graduate affairs for that application cycle. Sorry wish I can be of more help.

Have you talked to Dr. Wathington, Seema Rampersad, or Suzanne Jackson about any of this? If not, id definitely recommend calling and emailing all three of them to see if anything can be done.