My situation - any advice?

Started by MusicAD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MusicAD

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have read through hundreds of threads and posts and have seen people in similar situations, but I would like to put my specific situation out there to see if anyone has advice or suggestions.

I graduated in 2006 from Boston University with a B.A. and a GPA of 2.7 I was a sociology major and took a few pre-med courses my freshman and sophomore years (Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1), as I was planning on applying to medical school. Time went on and I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go to medical school, so I simply finished out with my B.A. in Sociology. Most of my decision stemmed from the fact that I was discouraged because my grades were not up to par with those of a med school applicant (Sophomore year grades brought me down).

Here I am, almost 3 years later, 23 years old, and I am rethinking the med career path, maybe even a dual MD and MPH. I had thought about nursing or PA, but for me it seemed like a cop out. No offense to anyone in that field, but personally for me I feel as though I copped out once already.

I believe I have the focus now to set out to do what I once planned on doing. Yes, I know it will be very time consuming, but I figure I could spend the same amount of time being in a profession that I do not enjoy/figuring out what I want to do. I also toss around the idea of having a family vs. doctor life - but I figure people have been doing it for years, why can't I? There is also the issue of money, but even a Masters or PhD in another field would cost me money; money that I don't have.

My question is....what do you think is the best path for me to take? (I know that it will be specific to me, but just some suggestions).

1. Should I do a Post Bacc program? State School? Community College?

2. Do I have a chance with my GPA?

3. Any other suggestions, comments, advice, ideas, etc.

When I was in college I volunteered a lot for the Red Cross, an afterschool homework program, and volunteered in the pediatric oncology unit at Johns Hopkins for a summer. I am looking into volunteering at the local hospital here and also doing several events for the Red Cross. For the past two years I have been selling Real Estate for a top real estate team in my state - still am, to make a living, gain business/work experience, pay for my student loans, and somehow try to save for my future plans.

Not trying to talk about myself too much, just wanted to give some background info. Thanks!
 
You have a better shot at a DO school. Do the prereqs at a local state school, try to stay away from CC. Retake the previous prereqs, if any grades lower than B. You may want to take a few upper level science courses as well.

DO schools replace previous grades if you retake a class, so if there are any real low grades in your past, maybe retake those classes as well. Try to get your overall gpa above 3.0 and get the science gpa as high as you can. This, along with a good MCAT should get you some interviews.

If you are set on MD schools, then you will have a much longer uphill battle. You basically need 2-4 years of fulltime UG work at 4.0, maybe followed up by a SMP.