My stats and situation - I WANT IN!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blondnuttyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - My UG gpa is something like 3.5ish - i took loads of hard classes and have somewhat of an upward trend.

I've MCAT'ed 3 times
26N, 24Q. . . .then May 31st, 32S

My extra-currics, I've been told are out of control amazing : ) - lots of the basics (clinical, research, blah blah "i'm pre-med") and then more unique things such as international health policy work, HIV teaching, dance teaching, etc.

I didn't get in anywhere last year, i only applied allo and well I guess my mcat screwed me : )

Anyway, what do you all think about my chances this cycle? Any suggestions for where I should apply??

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I sound just like you...got a 26Q, 23Q, and now I'm taking the MCAT AGAIN in August. Also, I have a 3.7 GPA. I really hope I get above a 30 and it's so nice to hear that you did. I think my problem was that I was working a zillion hours per week, volunteer, going to school, etc. at the same time I was studying.

I talked to some people on a med school admission team, and they all said the same thing: retake the MCAT. So, hopefully, it works!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
how many schools did you apply to? with those stats you should be able to get in somewhere! it maybe not where you want to go....but someone's going to give you a shot. good luck!

Hey all - My UG gpa is something like 3.5ish - i took loads of hard classes and have somewhat of an upward trend.

I've MCAT'ed 3 times
26N, 24Q. . . .then May 31st, 32S

My extra-currics, I've been told are out of control amazing : ) - lots of the basics (clinical, research, blah blah "i'm pre-med") and then more unique things such as international health policy work, HIV teaching, dance teaching, etc.

I didn't get in anywhere last year, i only applied allo and well I guess my mcat screwed me : )

Anyway, what do you all think about my chances this cycle? Any suggestions for where I should apply??

Thanks!!

I think that your chances are pretty fair this time. I would definitely suggest that you apply broadly-- your gpa is solid, although it isn't great. The "red flag" in your application is that it took you three tries on the mcat to do well on it, and adcoms might hesitate a little on this one. Otherwise, everything looks good from what you've told us. You've sent everything in, right? You definitely want to make sure that you have the advantage of applying early.

I would suggest applying pretty broadly-- make sure you apply to plenty of schools like NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Wayne, RFU, Albany, etc. Definitely apply to your state schools, some mid tiers, and a few reaches. Good luck this year.

everything looks solid. The three mcats might put a damper on it. Personally, I think schools should just be able to view your best score. I remember when I took the sat way back that you could bomb verbal and do great on say math, and next time you could do the complete opposite; great thing was schools (as far as I know) would only see the combined best score. Anyways, I think you should be good to go. Apply to state schools (if applicable in your case) and try some lower tiers; you should be alright.

I....actually havent sent anything in yet....I'm hoping to get in all in by July 18th (I week from today). I just got back from Chile - I was working with their equivalent of our department of health and didn't have time to touch my app.

I'm not too late am I? The May 31st mcat thing really took a bite out of my time..and then came my 5 week south american adventure.

If I get this thing in by July 18th, am I still considered "early?"

Thanks!

I....actually havent sent anything in yet....I'm hoping to get in all in by July 18th (I week from today). I just got back from Chile - I was working with their equivalent of our department of health and didn't have time to touch my app.

I'm not too late am I? The May 31st mcat thing really took a bite out of my time..and then came my 5 week south american adventure.

Thanks!

Finish the AMCAS by Monday and request to have your transcripts sent there from your college BY TODAY if at all possible. Get crackin' .....you're not too late, but i wouldn't be waiting a week when people you are competing with had their amcas verified in june and have already rec'd many secondaries and sent them in.

Thanks!

Tonight is Friday.

Don't go out tonight. Just work diligently on those applications instead. Same thing for Saturday and Sunday.