1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

My stats do i got a a shot

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by teefRcool, Aug 7, 2006.

1. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys i just took the DAT today i pretty much am nothing close to most of your scores on this forum that you post. I wanted to know what you think my chances are at getting into at least 1 school or if i should just say good bye based on these DAT scores.

AA 17
    TS 20
    BIO 20
    CHM 19
    OCHEM 18
    RC 15
    QR 14
    PAT 17

AADSAS CALCULATED CUMULATIVE GPA - 3.47
    AADSAS CALCULATED SCI GPA- 3.30
    AADSAS CACLULATED NON SCI- 3.76

My extracurriculars activities, letters of rec, and personal statement i think are top notch quality. But if feel i'm pretty much done for with that AA score and a 15, 14, RC and QR. Its also a little too late to retake it again because it will be november before i can retake it.

I applied to 28 schools: Temple, NYU, BU, USC, Nova, Case, Tufts all the ones that have slightest chance getting into.

Your opinions are welcomed. Really worried now. What do you guys think seriously.

Teef

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mc1459

mc1459 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The 15 and 14 are really going to hurt you. A lot of schools require at least 15 or 16 on all sections. A lot of places are going to see those numbers and immediately dismiss you as an applicant. If it weren't for those scores you would be in much better shape. Is English your first language? If I were you I would try to figure out how to raise the low scores so if you have to reapply and retake you can do really well.

4. WVUdental

WVUdental Membership Revoked
    Removed

truthfully, it depends on where you apply.

for example, Case Western wouldnt even open your application because you have to have gotten above a 15 on all sections of the DAT.

call the school your interested in and ask them, then ask for their prior year stats.

all schools will tell you to retake it whether the really think that you should or not.

5. license2drill

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think Nov. is too late to retake it. You may get in somewhere but the 14/15 is def going to hold you back. If you retake it in Nov. and raise those scores you will still have a good shot at getting in. My app wasn't sent out till mid Nov. last year and I still got a ton of January interviews with a similar GPA to yours; therefore if I was in your shoes I would prepare to retake it and if you get some interviews before hand play it by ear. Good luck!

6. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks guys i'm definitely gonna retake, hopefully one schools gives me hope.

7. Lucass

Lucass RunswithPredents
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's not entirely true. I got a 15 on the QR section and I have an interview at Case next month.

8. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think you should retake the DAT.

Try the roadmap method from the DAT discussion board and practice it until you get good at it. I made a 16 on my first RC practice test and when I switched to the roadmap method I made a 21 on my next practice test and another 21 on the real DAT.

As far as QR goes, I think it's an easy subject to have a good score in. Review the blue book QR section and have everything in it memorized. Then start taking practice tests and learn how to do every problem in them. If you run out of practice tests, try using GRE and SAT practice math tests because those are on about the same level as the DAT QR test.

9. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

everyone gets a shot. some people just aim at their own foot

you got a 14 on your dat dude. you get 12 just from writing your name and birthday down. definitely drink some redbull and retake the dat.

good luck

10. 996tt

996tt Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just retake the dat-study hard and effectively for it, and you'll be fine. lots of people have to retake it and do fine.

11. Yeyyy

Yeyyy Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what happened to the RC/QR portions??? did you take topscore or any full practice tests?

I'm not trying to be nosy or anything... but i'm not studying for the RC or the QR portions, and i'll most likely be winging it when the test comes up. is that a bad idea?

12. ArmoredTooth

ArmoredTooth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's because you have a high cumulative GPA.

13. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I spent less than two hours preparing for the RC section (2 practice exams) and made a 21.

I spent less than two hours preparing for the QR section (1 practice exam and skimmed through blue book math) and made a 30.

If you are good at something, there is no point in wasting a lot of time with it. It's like most people say on this site... study what you don't know.

14. DDS:)

DDS:) Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I vote retake the test, do lots practice for reading and QR. Most people do better yhe 2nd time. English is my 2nd language, and I scored 16 on RC first time without any practice. after doing all the practice tests, I pulled 18 on the 2nd time. I know it still way below avg. but I am very happy with it. Make sure u put down the future DAT date on ur app., so the schools may put u on hold, rather than send rejection letter right away~

15. ejcivicdee

ejcivicdee DS1 2011
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

16. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Buddy trust me you don't wanna know!
    Well after getting those scores I knocked a bunch of schools knowing i had pretty much nill chances. Now its down to like 16 schoools i have to pay secondaries for.

17. thehipster

thehipster Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

I think reviewing for a couple of hours for QR would be a good idea, just to know the conversions (liters, gallons, pints, kg, lbs ounces) and basic trig. I think you can wing it on reading. I don't think RC is a subject you really practice for, all you need is to have a strategy for answering the questions.