My stats:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyomar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you give me an honest evaluation:

Sci. GPA: 3.34
MCAT: 20P 5V, 7P, 8B (both times on the april and august scores)
Great clinical research/extracurricular act.

what are my chances? I turned in my AACOM last week to 9 D.O. schools. Been shadowing a D.O and I like what he does. (I would like to apply more, but I want to know my chances before just applying and using money unwisely)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

jennyomar said:

what are my chances? I turned in my AACOM last week to 9 D.O. schools. Been shadowing a D.O and I like what he does. (I would like to apply more, but I want to know my chances before just applying and using money unwisely)

Thanks guys!
i would apply to lowered tiered ones...of which i will not name due to opinion and they're all fine to go to in the end anyway.

the 5 is low...you'd be a good candidate to reject to see if you come back with either higher scores or just simply persistence

are you in your early 20's? this shouldn't make a difference, but if i were in adcoms place and i had a 21 yr old with lower scores....come on, lets be real, they have time to bring that stuff up

There is always a chance, and you are smart to apply to a number of schools. It could go either way, but I would say that you will at least get an interview or two. It will be there that you have to prove that you are prepared and ready for medical school. You definitely need to push that fact that you have osteopathic experience. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try unecom,pscom,lecom,vcom,nad wsvom

jennyomar said:

Thanks guys!

Verbal is too low. It is the most important category. You'll need at least a 7 in verbal to get into pretty much any DO school.

Since you applied already, you might as well see what happens. If you don't get accepted, you know that it is your verbal score so work on improving that section.

I'd recommend applying to some good international schools too, like St. George's. They're not as bad as some people make them out to be.

OSUdoc08 said:
Verbal is too low. It is the most important category. You'll need at least a 7 in verbal to get into pretty much any DO school.

I'm so sick of people saying that VR is the most important section, it's not true in my experience. I got a 5 in Verbal and have received 7 interviews and accepted at both intervies that I decided to attend (KCUMB and DMU, my top choice). Yes, my overall score was higher, but you can do fine with a very low Verbal score. In fact, in both interviews, they said that VR was the best section to bomb, assuming you bomb one of the sections.

FS-Pro said:
I'm so sick of people saying that VR is the most important section, it's not true in my experience. I got a 5 in Verbal and have received 7 interviews and accepted at both intervies that I decided to attend (KCUMB and DMU, my top choice). Yes, my overall score was higher, but you can do fine with a very low Verbal score. In fact, in both interviews, they said that VR was the best section to bomb, assuming you bomb one of the sections.

i agree with ya. i did the worst in VR and was still accepted somewhere! ;)

FS-Pro said:

I was accepted into some of the lower tier DO schools with a low verbal, but did not hear from the better schools until I raised my verbal 3 points.

It is also dependent on your GPA, however, with such a low composite score, a 5 is unacceptable.

If you retake the MCAT, try reading a verbal passage and answering the questions as fast as you can every day for a couple months leading up to the test. This should get your mind used to doing verbal sections quickly.

HI

Try WVSOM. I had a 4 and still got accepted this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that KCUMB requires all sevens on their MCAT in order to get an interview. I'm not sure about other schools. You may want to retake the MCAT 'just in case' you don't get in but DO schools may take you if you did well on other things. I don't know what lower-tiered DO schools are, all I know is that the DO school in TX, Western and CCOM have 27-28 as their avg MCAT so you may not want to consider them. Aim for schools with 24 as their avg MCAT and you have a better chance.

hey,

retake MCAT and focus on improving 2 of the three sections....

but for most schools, since your GPA is not high, u need to retake,.

JKDMed said:
Good grief. I have an 11 and they have yet to offer me a seat. :rolleyes:

I have a 10/9/7 MCAT and I've yet to hear from either PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM (though the admissions folks are unbelievably friendly and helpful at UMDNJ-SOM). Maybe the 3.3 cumulative/3.0 science is bothersome :eek:

hooperg said:
I have a 10/9/7 MCAT and I've yet to hear from either PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM (though the admissions folks are unbelievably friendly and helpful at UMDNJ-SOM). Maybe the 3.3 cumulative/3.0 science is bothersome :eek:

It's really disheartening to see people with 3.1 GPAs and 20 MCATs getting in and not us (or me). A 4 VR is ridiculous. How can anyone who can't read get through medical school? :confused:

OSUdoc08 said:
I totally agree, I don't think you have a chance until you have 7+ in each and with your gpa you will need 8+ in each for serious consideration.

FS-Pro said:
What was your GPA there buddy?
If you have a GPA that's in the bottom half and a 5, one could assume that your grades are a reflection of your ability to digest written material. On the other hand a good GPA could indicate the VS was a fluke.

JKDMed said:
It's really disheartening to see people with 3.1 GPAs and 20 MCATs getting in and not us (or me). A 4 VR is ridiculous. How can anyone who can't read get through medical school? :confused:
How true.

atrovariousg said:
What was your GPA there buddy?
If you have a GPA that's in the bottom half and a 5, one could assume that your grades are a reflection of your ability to digest written material. On the other hand a good GPA could indicate the VS was a fluke.

Overal:3.3
BCP: 3.7 ish

NonTradMed said:
I know that KCUMB requires all sevens on their MCAT in order to get an interview.

Completely NOT TRUE!!!! Try reading the entire thread and you will see that not only did I receive an interview on the first interview day held at KCUMB with a 5 in VR, but I was also accepted. Don't state things as fact if you don't have proof.

FS-Pro said:
Completely NOT TRUE!!!! Try reading the entire thread and you will see that not only did I receive an interview on the first interview day held at KCUMB with a 5 in VR, but I was also accepted. Don't state things as fact if you don't have proof.

No need to get your panties all in a knot. And I do have other things to do than read about your life story. :rolleyes:

I just remember reading about the requirement on a link to the KCUMB website. Perhaps I misread the information, perhaps it was for another school I am applying to, or perhaps you were a special case. I don't know. I just remember remembering reading a baseline requirement on their website.

Not all of us have time to go through and check and re-check everything we say. Most of us see a question and try to answer it to the best of our abilities. Last time I checked, this forum doesn't require us to footnote and annotate everything we write. I was only trying to go by on what I remembered.

JKDMed said:

I try to, in any circumstance, be happy for an individual who receives good fortune... even if it is somewhat at my expense.
I understand that seating is a competitive beast, but as long as someone has the capacity to fully realize their opportunities and the humility to be grateful, I see myself as no more deserving of a seat than them (or somebody with 12/12/12 for that matter).
That said--I still want in!! :)

I know that the writing sample pales in comparison to the VR for adcoms, but perhaps the P is high enough to show them that you have the ability to be articulate, and warrant further consideration. Just a thought, good luck.

John

hooperg said:
I try to, in any circumstance, be happy for an individual who receives good fortune... even if it is somewhat at my expense.
I understand that seating is a competitive beast, but as long as someone has the capacity to fully realize their opportunities and the humility to be grateful, I see myself as no more deserving of a seat than them (or somebody with 12/12/12 for that matter).
That said--I still want in!! :)

No need to be stressed, I'm sure you'll be receiving positive responses soon. In the meantime, be happy for others who have gotten in.

what schools did you get interviews to? What was your total score?

FS-Pro said:

Did you get accepted to any other schools or did you get interviews?

Miss155 said:
HI

What schools?

jennkhoho said:
i agree with ya. i did the worst in VR and was still accepted somewhere! ;)

What schools did you apply to? If you have strong LOR's and an impressive resume I am sure you will get a few interviews. Make sure you get your secondary application in FAST!! Stay on top of the people writing your LORs they can really slow down the whole process. When you get to your interviews just be sincere and be knowledgeable about osteopathic medicine and you have a good shot at a seat somewhere. Did you apply to WVSOM? They seem to be a school that really does take the whole applicant into account which might be the reason some people with only good stats don't get in (in my opinion is a good thing). Good luck and keep us posted!!

jennyomar said:

Thanks guys!

I am in a similar situation....definately post if you get any interview offers!!

I had a couple of questions. First, do psych classes, both behavioral and biological, count in the science GPA? Also, does anyone know what are the average stats for Touro-MI?

Thanks

OSUdoc08 said:

My stats pretty much match the thread starter but with my 20 mcat coming out as 9v/6bs/5ps. i actually think that hurts me more so than someone with a low verbal and higher sciences.

drjds said:
what schools did you get interviews to? What was your total score?
My total was a 25L with abreakdown of:
PS:11, VR:5, BS:9.
Interviw offers at:
DMU, KCUMB, LECOM-Erie, LECOM-Bradenton, AZCOM, CCOM and WVSOM.
The only schools that I did not hear from were PCOM, PCOM-Atlanta, Western and NSU. But I submitted these later and have not even checked to see if I was technically complete as I received acceptance to my top choice already (DMU).

Miss155 said:
HI

no offense, but OMG :eek:

rgerwin said:
I had a couple of questions. First, do psych classes, both behavioral and biological, count in the science GPA? Also, does anyone know what are the average stats for Touro-MI?

Thanks

Psych is considered social science. Social sciences do not count.

Typically it is Bio, Chem, & Phys that counts.

I can only say this...apply to as many schools as you can because you never know who will look at your application and say "hey, now there is someone that has what it takes". I know of a gent that scored a 32 on his MCAT and was flat out denied after his interview at my school.....so you can try it with your 20, someone in my class has a 19....just goes to show you never know until the class starts which chair you will be sitting in...lecture hall or living room. Only way to find out is to try.....

Good Luck