My Step 3 Experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavsfanMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For background, I'm an AMG doing anesthesiology.
Step 1 : 235
Step 2 : 237
CS : passed on my 3rd attempt. Yeah that wasn't fun.
Doing a medicine year. Wasn't allowed to take Step during floor and MICU months, so I didn't get to take it as early as I wanted. Plus I procrastinated.

Started lazing through Uworld questions in December. Didn't do very many a day and took no notes. Was scheduled to take it in January but pushed it back because I wasn't really feeling it. Finished first run through of questions early March. Started going through CCS cases late February early March.
First pass through Uworld : 52%. Didn't finish all the incorrects.
Other resources used : some program with a 109 CCS cases that only cost 70 bucks for one time. Also heavily reviewed the biostats thingy from Uworld.
Didn't take any practice exams.
Exam dates: March 18 and 22.
Actual experience. Day one was awful. Slept terribly night before. Lots of Step 1 and a few random derm qs. Felt good about the biostats Q's though. Still, after that day I was angry and sure I had failed.
Day 2: Q's were a little easier. CCS mostly straightforward with some really weird stuff. Forgot to eat breakfast and didn't bring any food. Also had a bit of a headache.

Felt despondent after and was trying to figure out how to schedule in a new attempt before CA-1. Score was 221. Average on basically every aspect of the test.

Recs: I would watch onlinemeded again for weaker subjects. Also would review some step 1 pharm. Uworld is good for the Q's and biostats. Program for CCS is called CCS cases.com. Gives good feedback. Software is basically exactly the same as real exam, except faster.
Review preventative medicine and screening stuff. Stupid that they have non-primary care people tested on that kind of stuff, but whatever.

You will probably feel awful after the exam. I felt like I did a lot of guessing. There were multiple Q's in every section I didn't even flag because I was so clueless as to what the answers were. But the odds are in your favor. Don't underestimate it, but if you study intelligently you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For background, I'm an AMG doing anesthesiology.
Step 1 : 235
Step 2 : 237
CS : passed on my 3rd attempt. Yeah that wasn't fun.
Doing a medicine year. Wasn't allowed to take Step during floor and MICU months, so I didn't get to take it as early as I wanted. Plus I procrastinated.

Started lazing through Uworld questions in December. Didn't do very many a day and took no notes. Was scheduled to take it in January but pushed it back because I wasn't really feeling it. Finished first run through of questions early March. Started going through CCS cases late February early March.
First pass through Uworld : 52%. Didn't finish all the incorrects.
Other resources used : some program with a 109 CCS cases that only cost 70 bucks for one time. Also heavily reviewed the biostats thingy from Uworld.
Didn't take any practice exams.
Exam dates: March 18 and 22.
Actual experience. Day one was awful. Slept terribly night before. Lots of Step 1 and a few random derm qs. Felt good about the biostats Q's though. Still, after that day I was angry and sure I had failed.
Day 2: Q's were a little easier. CCS mostly straightforward with some really weird stuff. Forgot to eat breakfast and didn't bring any food. Also had a bit of a headache.

Felt despondent after and was trying to figure out how to schedule in a new attempt before CA-1. Score was 221. Average on basically every aspect of the test.

Recs: I would watch onlinemeded again for weaker subjects. Also would review some step 1 pharm. Uworld is good for the Q's and biostats. Program for CCS is called CCS cases.com. Gives good feedback. Software is basically exactly the same as real exam, except faster.
Review preventative medicine and screening stuff. Stupid that they have non-primary care people tested on that kind of stuff, but whatever.

You will probably feel awful after the exam. I felt like I did a lot of guessing. There were multiple Q's in every section I didn't even flag because I was so clueless as to what the answers were. But the odds are in your favor. Don't underestimate it, but if you study intelligently you'll be fine.
Nice, man -- congrats.

Reactions: 1 user