Step III My Step 3 Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asmallchild

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to all for their Step 3 advice. Time for me to give back.


Book: Kaplan's Master the Boards
To be fair, the book does contain a ton of information that probably did show up on the exam. But it's hard to read it as an intern. Skimmed through the book once (and I really mean skimmed, any long list was instantly glossed over) over a period of 4 weeks. Tried to get through key sections the weekend before my exam and well, didn't work out so well. Not a huge book person when it comes to these Step exams.



Test Questions: USMLEWorld, USMLE Step 3 software
Completed all the questions in UW as well as all the UW CCS case scenarios. Did this over a 3 week period and spent the last week just redoing questions. Always in tutor mode, always 12 questions at a time. Scores ranged from 50-70% although by the time I hit the repeats, we were looking at 80-100%. Also completed the Step 3 questions provided by the NBME. I thought the CCS questions from UW were a lot more helpful than the sample ones offered by the USMLE Step 3 software but I would take a look at the official questions anyway because they are more representative of what you'll see on the exam. For the UW ones, it seems like they let you delve a little further in the case even proceeding to follow-up. On the real thing, the instant you skim the surface of the answer, the software will move you along. Also, after completing all the CCS case scenarios, I re-read the explanations for all of them the final weekend.



Summary
4 weeks-off to study although if we distill it to actual time spent studying, probably < 1 week. In retrospect, I would have liked to take the exam a little more seriously as I did feel it was pretty tough on the two days I as taking it. Endurance is also a factor if you prepare for the exam the way I did (12 sample questions at a time). I will note that my 2nd day was ridiculously short (<4 hours). If you acquaint yourself with the software and go through all 50+ UW CCS cases, you'll pick up pretty quickly what they want you to do and you almost fall into a rhythm when completing these CCS cases. I have never walked out of any medical-related exam with 4 hours left in my test day! And the CCS cases were the only portion of Step 3 where I was clearly above average.



Score: >230/99
(A large drop from my Step 1/Step 2 scores. Still, I'm not sure that Step 3 is graded on a similar scale and I'm not sure if Step 3 is actually used for evaluation of residents in any capacity. As far as I'm concerned, it's pass/fail and, needless to say, very happy to have passed and be done with Steps, forever!)
 
Wow, congrats! This is the first 99 I get to see on Step 3. I'm still in shock while writing. Intern in what? Internal medicine?

My test is in 2 weeks, 'recent' Step 2 CK, using Master the Boards & UW.
Any final advises in this precious time? Thanx in advance and CONGRATS 😀
 
Wow, congrats! This is the first 99 I get to see on Step 3. I'm still in shock while writing. Intern in what? Internal medicine?

My test is in 2 weeks, 'recent' Step 2 CK, using Master the Boards & UW.
Any final advises in this precious time? Thanx in advance and CONGRATS 😀

Thanks, I'm an intern in internal medicine.

My advice would probably be UW over and over again. It does a great job of prepping you for the CCS cases and hopefully with enough of the regular questions, you'll get a feel of what you need to work on and can directly address it with focused reading from Master the Boards.
 
Hey. thanks for sharing- I've been procrastinating for since Feb...

Can you clarify a few things pls?

- "12 questions" in a row, was this for CCS or the multiple choice q's?
- Did you do the questions subject-based or random?
- Where can I find the NBME questions?

Thanks so much 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. thanks for sharing- I've been procrastinating for since Feb...

Can you clarify a few things pls?

- "12 questions" in a row, was this for CCS or the multiple choice q's?
- Did you do the questions subject-based or random?
- Where can I find the NBME questions?

Thanks so much 😉

1) Even the multiple choice questions, I have a very limited attentino span.

2) I did all questions random

3) The NBME questions can be found off the official Step 3 site

Good luck!