2018 My story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’d just like to explain my story so far and take any feedback.

Originally I planned to go into Pharmacy School with just the pre-reqs alone but after realizing my gpa wasn’t high enough (TOO late in the game) I had NO choice BUT to get a bachelors to raise my gpa…

So I’ll be graduating with a bachelors degree in Bioscience next June, taking a total of 5 years- since there was a lot of confusion on my part, switching majors/wasting time/being delayed. Once I get my Bachelors I need to take a year off and start Pharmacy school the following fall, Fall 2020. Reason being is that I need A LOT of time to study for it. To be accepted the fall right after I graduate I would need to apply this coming fall and theres no way that can happen. I have a full school load each semester and I’m also taking 2 summer classes.

Onto my work and extracurriculars, I did Chemistry research for 2 years including 2 summers at a National Lab. This past summer was my last summer there since I wanted OUT. Doing the same tedious steps over and over gets tiring and I didn’t want to be a part of that anymore, especially since I know that research is deff something I don’t want to go into as a career. It was a good experience and I can tell you loads about it, but not for me.

I’ve been volunteering at a 100% free EMS Organization since Sept 2015 and don’t plan to leave until I get accepted into pharmacy school. I served as a dispatcher (and sometimes still do in case of emergency) and an ambulance driver. I’ve moved up the ranks and am now on the board as Service Secretary where there is A LOT to say about. I organize and file all paperwork, deal with PCR’s (checking, logging, documenting ALL info), make heat maps and charts and do anything and everything secretary related for the place.

Onto the last thing, I’ve been a college assistant for 2 years now at a CUNY college. One for a Research Scholars Program and the other for an office. For the first, I help out with all things program related- send emails to students and professors, organize and file, make/schedule club events, collaborate with my advisor who is the director of the program. For the 2nd, I schedule appointments for students and help the office run smoothly. NOW. While that’s the surface of it, my job is not a real (job according to me). I do work but, its very minimal and one that a high schooler could handle. I study basically the ENTIRE time and get paid for this. This is the sole reason I don’t want to leave this job. I get a $500 paycheck after taxes every 2 weeks for doing what? Studying. I will not find a job like this any place else. I’m telling you this because I want to be real and I want real feedback. This job provides me with time to study and I get paid for it.

I really DO want to start doing something pharmacy related but I don’t know WHAT. But at the end of the day I need money at the same time and NEED room for studying time. I don’t know what do to honestly. I know that I don’t have any real medical experience on my resume and I want to start doing something medically related because right now I’m really not. Reading patient care reports doesn’t really count.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d just like to explain my story so far and take any feedback.

Originally I planned to go into Pharmacy School with just the pre-reqs alone but after realizing my gpa wasn’t high enough (TOO late in the game) I had NO choice BUT to get a bachelors to raise my gpa…

So I’ll be graduating with a bachelors degree in Bioscience next June, taking a total of 5 years- since there was a lot of confusion on my part, switching majors/wasting time/being delayed. Once I get my Bachelors I need to take a year off and start Pharmacy school the following fall, Fall 2020. Reason being is that I need A LOT of time to study for it. To be accepted the fall right after I graduate I would need to apply this coming fall and theres no way that can happen. I have a full school load each semester and I’m also taking 2 summer classes.

Onto my work and extracurriculars, I did Chemistry research for 2 years including 2 summers at a National Lab. This past summer was my last summer there since I wanted OUT. Doing the same tedious steps over and over gets tiring and I didn’t want to be a part of that anymore, especially since I know that research is deff something I don’t want to go into as a career. It was a good experience and I can tell you loads about it, but not for me.

I’ve been volunteering at a 100% free EMS Organization since Sept 2015 and don’t plan to leave until I get accepted into pharmacy school. I served as a dispatcher (and sometimes still do in case of emergency) and an ambulance driver. I’ve moved up the ranks and am now on the board as Service Secretary where there is A LOT to say about. I organize and file all paperwork, deal with PCR’s (checking, logging, documenting ALL info), make heat maps and charts and do anything and everything secretary related for the place.

Onto the last thing, I’ve been a college assistant for 2 years now at a CUNY college. One for a Research Scholars Program and the other for an office. For the first, I help out with all things program related- send emails to students and professors, organize and file, make/schedule club events, collaborate with my advisor who is the director of the program. For the 2nd, I schedule appointments for students and help the office run smoothly. NOW. While that’s the surface of it, my job is not a real (job according to me). I do work but, its very minimal and one that a high schooler could handle. I study basically the ENTIRE time and get paid for this. This is the sole reason I don’t want to leave this job. I get a $500 paycheck after taxes every 2 weeks for doing what? Studying. I will not find a job like this any place else. I’m telling you this because I want to be real and I want real feedback. This job provides me with time to study and I get paid for it.

I really DO want to start doing something pharmacy related but I don’t know WHAT. But at the end of the day I need money at the same time and NEED room for studying time. I don’t know what do to honestly. I know that I don’t have any real medical experience on my resume and I want to start doing something medically related because right now I’m really not. Reading patient care reports doesn’t really count.
What’s your science gpa?

Your story seems pretty similar to mine so far, except I took 5.5 Years to graduate. But I also took a gap year before I applied for pharmacy school and I don’t regret doing that at all. I felt like it gave me more than enough time to study for the PCAT, work on my personal statement and letter of recommendations. The only downside is some pharmacy schools will only accept prerequisites that have been taken within 5 Years of matriculation, so that factor disqualified me from applying to a number of schools. But since then I’ve been accepted to all 4 schools I applied to!!

Also, even if you didn’t accrue any pharmacy related experience, you should still talk about your experience in your research and other jobs etc. it will still look impressive, I promise :)

Meanwhile, I would definitely look into shawdowing a pharmacist or becoming a pharmacy technician. I’m sure you’ll be able to find a position with flexible hours, especially since many places are desperate for techs.

Overall, you’re on the right track though no matter how fast you got there; slow and and steady wins the race after all :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! You have a super impressive resume. I would suggest trying to get a part time pharmacy tech job or even a pharmacy cashier job. It'll help you to explain why you want to be a pharmacist going on your interviews. Also since you have EMT experience and are used to that environment, being a pharmacist in the ER probably will be where you'll thrive in my opinion. Of course, you have 4 year of pharmacy school to figure out what you want to do so NO RUSH!