my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamnotconfused

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read a couple of posts on "what are my chances" but my story is a bit different. I graduated in 1994 with a BSc in Biochemistry (GPA 2.75). I am currently a nursing student with 4.0 GPA (may come down to 3.8 by the end of this semester if I make a B in my clinical course). I will graduate in Dec.

I seriously want to go to Med school (DO considering my stats). I decided to do a one year LPN as a means to an end. I already got admission to a Caribbean Med school but problem is, I am married with three little boys aged 7, 5 and 2. I would rather study here in the US and be with them than leave them to go to the Caribbean for 2 years.
My dilemma:
1. I am 36 years old (female)
2. My Physics, chem Bio are too old
3. No MCAT
4. Don't what route to follow

Should I do a post-bac to enhance my GPA and then take MCAT and apply to Med school? I am 36 already.

Should I retake Physics, chem, bio and then take MCAT and apply to DO schools?

Should I just take MCAT and apply to DO schools with my stats?

How do I even begin to study for MCAT? Its been over ten years since I took my science classes.

I am sorry my post is too long. If you read up to this point, thank you. I will greatly appreciate your comments, suggestions and advice.

Thanks
iamnotconfused

Members don't see this ad.

Your story isn't really different from the vast majority of nontrads so don't worry about that. Try the non-trad forum to read about loads of other people in similar situations.

It sounds like you working on an LPN (?) degree. If so, your courses will count as part of your undergrad GPA so you might just be fine there.

Your age will not be a huge problem. There are lots of 30+ medical students. You will most likely have a better chance and feel more comfortable with DO. Again, surf around the nontrad forum.

There is no expiration date on the prerequisites. Several of mine were over ten years old and not one school mentioned it. You can call the schools you would be interested in to confirm this too.

3. No MCAT
Yep, you'll definitely have to studt for and take the MCAT. The next exam is this month, but I wouldn't suggest taking it without more preparation. You could possibly take it this August and then apply in summer 2007 for 2008 matriculation. (If you applied for 2007 you'd be late in the application cycle. It's not impossible to get in, but it certainly easier if you apply early....in June.)

This is really up to you and how confident you feel about your background. I would suggest getting some MCAT study materials and taking a practice test or two to see where you stand. If you remember all the material and are scoring high on the practice tests you may be fine to just take the MCAT and apply for 2008. Now, if you had Cs or better in your prereqs you may just be fine to study on your own and will do fine on the MCAT without retaking the courses. If you had Ds you should definitely consider retaking. If you think you would benefit from retaking the courses and would definitely get As or Bs then go ahead and retake the prereqs. There really is no wrong or right way to do this. You just need to figure what method will best prepare you for the MCAT.

I strongly suggest calling your local med school or the school you are most interested in for advice and information about your situation.

iamnotconfused said:
My dilemma:
3. No MCAT

Me
1.35 yo male
2.physics and gen chem well over 10 years old
3. took MCAT when I was 34
4. was clueless about studying for the MCAT and med school admissions until finding SDN 1.5 years ago.

One thing you need to check is if schools will take your prereqs from nursing. If you have recent science coursework then having old grades should not be a problem if they fulfill the prereqs.

I recently took bio and orgo. For my MCAT studies I had to really work on my PS(gen chem/physics). people say it will just come right back to you but this was not the case for me. Still managed 10 or more on each section on the MCAT. In your prereqs you are taking now really try to nail the material and perhaps start using MCAT prep material to famaliarize yourself with what is needed for the MCAT. When you sit down to study give yourself 12 weeks and be sure to concetrate on your weakness.

You are probably very busy but if you can manage to start looking over MCAT material on your old subjects now that will make things easier.

remind yourself that many people in your situation have gained admission to med school.

calculate your cumulative GPA and science GPA now. Read the FAQ to see what is included in science GPA. Your current coursework may be enough so that you do not need a postbac.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a post-bac program and it was helpful but considering your a nursing student don't you have science courses? Given your background I wouldn't enter another postbac program.

MCAT is a must. But remember its a basic sciences test and the verbal section isn't something you can even learn in a class, just takes hours of practice problems. If you take Kaplan, Princeton or Examkrackers you should be able to do fine.

You should also go to websites of schools of interest... and find the email of the admissions director. Email them with your story and ask for their advice. They are usually good at getting back to you with their opinions. And take "we prefer" with a grain of salt. Like, "although we accept the minimum prerequisites, we prefer upper division biology courses" is what I was told but got into my top choices with the minimum prerequisites.

Thank you all for your responses.

iamnotconfused

I agree with all who posted. If you did bad in some of your science classes you can always retake at a county college or close university.

There are many out there like you. :luck: