My theory on interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SayitIsntSO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after looking at some of the stats on sdn and predents.com of those that have received invites I have developed a theory. I think there is sorta a first round draft pick of all the applicants (so those w/22 DAT and >3.5 GPA or other great stats). So these applicants get the first interviews in aug-oct. Following this window, the schools move down the list to next "level" of applicants. Maybe this is already obvious to other people:laugh: , but I was just feeling bad about myself for only having one invite, but once you see the stats of those interviewed and then the averages of the accepted students, then I came to this theory. So i suppose that if I am not getting anything now, I may start getting more invites in Nov-Jan. (this theory of course rules out those that havent started interviewing, but they are on a similar idea, just different time frames).

Members don't see this ad.

So after looking at some of the stats on sdn and predents.com of those that have received invites I have developed a theory. I think there is sorta a first round draft pick of all the applicants (so those w/22 DAT and >3.5 GPA or other great stats). So these applicants get the first interviews in aug-oct. Following this window, the schools move down the list to next "level" of applicants. Maybe this is already obvious to other people:laugh: , but I was just feeling bad about myself for only having one invite, but once you see the stats of those interviewed and then the averages of the accepted students, then I came to this theory. So i suppose that if I am not getting anything now, I may start getting more invites in Nov-Jan. (this theory of course rules out those that havent started interviewing, but they are on a similar idea, just different time frames).

good one :thumbup:

Or they just don't like U of A students. Just kidding, I don't even have any ASU spirit. But yeah, looks like you have a pretty solid theory. D:

Members don't see this ad :)
Or they just don't like U of A students. Just kidding, I don't even have any ASU spirit. But yeah, looks like you have a pretty solid theory. D:

How did you know I go to UA? I am pretty sure its not listed anywhere.. :eek: :D

It also seems like most state schools (with UNC being the obvious exception) will interview most of their competitive in-staters first, with a few out of staters mixed in.

You listed it, man. Just check your profile.
Yeah, i just checked that:oops: its that arizona education. i didnt think anyone checked those... then again i made that in feb. also, i prob have more asu pride than most asu students, so its cool to hate on ua kids...they smell

maybe u applied late

Pretty good theory... applying early definitely helps though. Although, it doesn't explain why I haven't gotten an invite to Temple or Marquette if by this theory, I'm a "first round draft pick" :laugh:

maybe u applied late

I suppose submitting june 5 is pretty late, but i didnt finish my dat until aug 8, which is still earlier than a lot of people getting interviews. whatever, it happens, i just need one school...

My stats are below 22 and 3.5 and I have 2 interview invites, so I'm not so sure of your theory.

My stats are below 22 and 3.5 and I have 2 interview invites, so I'm not so sure of your theory.

Dude, take a check @ your BCP and sGPA, those are the same as having a >3.5

Members don't see this ad :)

Your theory puts me in the "first round draft pick," but I only have one invite so far. I guess when compared to sdn standards, however, I submitted my app kinda late (early July). Congrats on getting an interview!

One more thing - do we UA kids really smell that bad? :(

My stats are def. not above 3.5 or a 22 and i have 3 so far.

Not sure if ur theory is true. However apply early and took ur DAT early definitely will help u getting interview invites early. I dont have crazy stats like some of the SDNers, but I got 5 interviews so far~

Your theory puts me in the "first round draft pick," but I only have one invite so far. I guess when compared to sdn standards, however, I submitted my app kinda late (early July). Congrats on getting an interview!

One more thing - do we UA kids really smell that bad? :(

Yeah, esp those in the lame pre dental club. i want your interview to nova... too bad we cant sell interview positions

My stats are def. not above 3.5 or a 22 and i have 3 so far.

Do you know when your AADSAS was mailed? I'm really hoping to hear from Columbia soon, and it seems like everyone already has interviews!

Not sure if ur theory is true. However apply early and took ur DAT early definitely will help u getting interview invites early. I dont have crazy stats like some of the SDNers, but I got 5 interviews so far~

I dont know about that, I applied early and I got my rejections early. :confused:

Nothing yet for moi.

I have an interview invite to all of the schools that I applied to.

This is really more of a hypothesis than theory.

This is really more of a hypothesis than theory.

whatever the terminology... you are probably right. but most of the people that have responded have backed it up to a degree. what i meant was having dats=22 or GPA 3.5 or higher in either sGPA, cGPA, or BCP. it also depends on when you applied and how many schools. but id say my "hypothesis" stands for those who had completed applications prior to aug 15 and applied to at least 7 schools.

maybe this new revision will float now... lets see

what? people with better stats get more interviews that people without??? how'd you figure that out?

i wouldn't say people with great stats get interviewed first, my stats are average and my school is not well known, I was suprised to get an interview at upenn, and honestly I received the invite about 4 weeks ago

Well You must have had convincing stats other than dat and gpa...
which school do u go to?
what other activities have u done?

i wouldn't say people with great stats get interviewed first, my stats are average and my school is not well known, I was suprised to get an interview at upenn, and honestly I received the invite about 4 weeks ago
I don't get the app process either... like I got pretty early interview invites at the Ivys (which I'm happy for) and even UConn as a Canadian applicant but got no love from the schools just sending out invites right now... even though they cashed my $$$ :laugh:

Can I ask you when you applied and took DAT?
I took DAT 19th Aug, and I applied mid June. Do you think I'm late?

Applied: so many top schools(vainly...I think I wasted lots of money in vain)
Interview::confused: ( I didn't even get any update, any email yet)

Maybe it's something else...i got 5 so far! Maybe it's because I took more time to write my personal statement.

I am so freakin sure now that no matter what your stats r
the person who applied first gets much much higher chances of getting interviews....

But those who got good stats... do not worry... your stats will pay off
especially those tough schools to get in like blah blah blah u guyz know it...

Just a reminder that your efforts will pay off... later on... so do not worry
and panic... Be confident...

U guyz with good stats r gonna get accepted but it takes time....
That is all...

Maybe it's something else...i got 5 so far! Maybe it's because I took more time to write my personal statement.

i can't believe you changed your signature :wow:; i thought the old 4.0+ and 30/30/30 on the dat was great :laugh:

keep in mind that some schools like nova send out interviews to out of staters very quickly while others like MUSC will wait until they get all of their in staters taken care of first, so depending on the schools you applied to you might have to wait a little bit longer before they even review your appl.

Sayitisn'tso - have other people been getting invites from your schools, or has no one gotten them yet? Half my schools havent sent out interview invites yet