This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainlover2000

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a pre-med student, and I wanted to gain some perspective on my situation. During my freshman year, I lost motivation and unfortunately ended my first semester with a 1.6 GPA... I know.

My second semester was 3.91. Ever since then, I have had a 4.0 throughout my sophomore and junior year. My GPA will be approximately 3.7, and my MCAT is pretty good with a 520. Does my freshman year ruin my chances completely, or can my upward trend impress medical schools?

If anyone is asking why my freshman year was horrible, I have no excuses. I lost motivation in being a pre-med and decided to look at other options. However, I missed being a pre-med and found new joy in my science classes. I found my bigger goal, which made me work harder for my grades. I do not regret failing my first semester cause it helped me where I am today. I just don't wanna get my hopes up with reality, so if anyone can just give me an honest answer, I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you kidding me? You'll be fine. My entire college GPA was in v-fib and I still got into multiple schools after postbac and a similar MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be solid. Make sure you have a story for when people ask about it. It doesn't need to be profound or crazy, it just needs to show you thought about it and became better.

That 520 will wash away your early academic sins.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am currently a pre-med student, and I wanted to gain some perspective on my situation. During my freshman year, I lost motivation and unfortunately ended my first semester with a 1.6 GPA... I know.

My second semester was 3.91. Ever since then, I have had a 4.0 throughout my sophomore and junior year. My GPA will be approximately 3.7, and my MCAT is pretty good with a 520. Does my freshman year ruin my chances completely, or can my upward trend impress medical schools?

If anyone is asking why my freshman year was horrible, I have no excuses. I lost motivation in being a pre-med and decided to look at other options. However, I missed being a pre-med and found new joy in my science classes. I found my bigger goal, which made me work harder for my grades. I do not regret failing my first semester cause it helped me where I am today. I just don't wanna get my hopes up with reality, so if anyone can just give me an honest answer, I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

Many people take time to find their footing when they start college. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Many med schools reward rising GPA trends and weight the last 2-3 years greater than the cGPA.

Reactions: 1 users