My vent about Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had to vent for a bit about the ridiculous number of patients I have that travel down to Mexico for their dental work, and then complain because of how crappy it is. Or, complain that our school charges fees that are higher than those charged in Mexico. Or...the list goes on and on.

For example, I just called a pt. to schedule an appointment and he breaks the news to me that he's now going south of the border for all his dental care. In fact, it turns out that he doesn't need a crown on a tooth I had slated for a crown (nevermind that there isn't any tooth structure left), but he DOES need bone grafting done in another quadrant so that three implants can be placed. Apparently he has an abscess and his "teeth are loose" so his best bet is to have implants there. The massive amounts of bone loss he has, which obviously would hinder implant placement, will be remedied with bone grafts.

But on the bright side, he wants me to do all his cleanings since the doc in Mexico doesn't clean his teeth very well. Ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

At UNC patient's can't choose the treatment. If he went elsewhere for his needs he would not be able to have prophies at the school. Is this not how Ar is?

DcS said:
At UNC patient's can't choose the treatment. If he went elsewhere for his needs he would not be able to have prophies at the school. Is this not how Ar is?
At IUSD it's left largely up to individual discretion, but I wouldn't see that guy again. Like I said in another thread, if he wants to find out the hard way, you ought to oblige him.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
At IUSD it's left largely up to individual discretion, but I wouldn't see that guy again. Like I said in another thread, if he wants to find out the hard way, you ought to oblige him.

Why not do his cleanings? I'd rather do a cleaning than sit around with an empty chair.

griffin04 said:
Why not do his cleanings? I'd rather do a cleaning than sit around with an empty chair.
Fair enough; I guess I was posting under the assumption that Gavin has enough patients to fill the appointment slots he needs, which may or may not be the case.

It's really sad that patients make such choice. I was born and raised in small bordertown in New Mexico. We couldn't afford medical/dental insurance so whenever I had a toothache I had to go to Mexico and pay $10 to get my tooth pulled out. Sad but true I had 3 molars extracted over a short period...awww makes me sad. Honestly, I think my tooth just needed endo instead of oral extraction or maybe a feeling. Anyhow, I wish these patients would realize the difference in treatment. If I would've known what I know now, I would do everything different. Of course, most patients are looking to save money. Hopefully they're lucky and get a well educated dentist.

All the more reason to move further North ;)

griffin04 said:

I'd rather be out playing golf!

Hello,

I work at the New Mexico VA and I have experienced dental treatments rendered in Mexico from many of our patients. It is sad to say that from what I have seen could easily be constituted as "gross malpractice" in the States. This is not to say that Mexican dentists are incompetent at all but from what I seen on some patients, threy are "iatrogenic dentistry". If someone asks me about going there for dental work, my recommendation would be: only get treatments that are REVERSIBLE such as dentures or RPDs. Extensive bridge works should be considered with caution. DP

This basic concept happens in private practice all the time, where patients will "shop around" with price being the sole motivator. In general in private practice these are the types of patients that you don't worry about if they go elsewhere, since to generalize they'll be the ones asking for the MOBDLXYZ restoration rather than the crown, and then be the first one to call up demanding to be seen with a small little piece of that MODBLXYZ chips off!!

Even if patients don't have alot of disposable income around and need a big ticket procedure if they trust you and you do a good job of explaining things to them, they'll have you do the work. If they take off on a "dental vacation", let them go!

Whats even worse is when people go to mexico for medical procedures. I took care of one little boy whose parents decided to take him to Mexico for removal of his Adenoids because they didn't have any insurance or money and they didn't qualify for ACCHSS. The little guy had a nice anoxic episode due to bleeding and swelling and now the state is paying who knows how much for his care and will continue to do so until he dies. Unfortunately this family didn't have a choice and lost their son because of it. Now, back on topic, I agree with Dr Jeff in that you don't want those patients who shop around for the cheapest price anyways. Let them walk and then fix the work later if they ever want it done right.

griffin04 said:
I wouldn't. Bring on the empty chair...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I wouldn't. Bring on the empty chair...

I found many of my requirements (crowns, partials, root canals) in dental school by doing recalls on patients who had fallen out of the system. And I've found in private practice that cleanings are one of the few procedures where patients like coming to see you and don't anticipate pain, they like having their teeth cleaned. For those who compain or have periodontal disease or both, promptly ship to the periodontist.

griffin04 said:

True, but I'm routinely booked out a month or more with no available openings. That is, most of my patients have to wait 3-4 weeks to get an appointment.

ItsGavinC said:
True, but I'm routinely booked out a month or more with no available openings. That is, most of my patients have to wait 3-4 weeks to get an appointment.

That's awesome! You must be getting some good clinical experiences, despite the ones who bail for Mexico.

Yeah but it is a basic concept, either you do with what you can afford or you do not. I grew up in a border town and believe me people worry more about having a baby born without a brain not about their oral health.