My Verbal Frustrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlbertVOligh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just feel the need to vent because I'm scoring 9 on verbal and I can't budge it up at all. If it wasn't so frustrating, it would actually be comical how I score 9 on the dot in every practice test either AAMC or EK EVERY SINGLE TIME. Even on verbal passages I retake, I get a 9 if I got a 9 on the first try. I get the same number wrong, just different questions wrong.

I use the EK method of the main idea, but I end up still missing like 9-10 total questions within the entire section. I use process of elimination heavily, and I try to get the author's opinion. I rephrase the question into something more reasonable and I try to find the answer from there. I analyze my tests by keeping track of the questions on a spreadsheet to see if there's a pattern to the type of question I'm missing ... and there is none. I used to passage map and I scored like 4-6.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions to just buy me an extra point? Have I peaked? Am I overthinking this stuff? I would be so happy if I could just get a 10 on test day. I feel my science game is strong already.

Thanks 🙂
 
It is possible to get that extra point. What helped me breakthrough that plateau was always picking the answer choice closest to the main idea. I often found that when I narrowed it down to two answers, I'd end up going with the wrong one. I realized that I could find something like the wrong answer in the text, but the right answer just wasn't anywhere to be found. Instead of being led astray, I went with my gut.

Try and relax too. The more you stress about it, the harder it's going to be to focus on the passages. Good luck!
 
Is it weird that my average is 7-9 (10 on a really good day) for EK but the online TPR Cracking exams give me 4-5s...I'm just so confused. I might as well not be reviewing. I did the entire TPR Verbal book and I'm on test 11/14 for the EK 101 passages book. i've done so much practice and every time it's online, the scores go WAYY down