My Wisdom Teeth Removal Blog.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WED, MAY 17, 2006

Well, tomorrow is the Big Day. At 0830 I have my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed. The procedure is said to take about an hour. Originally it was scheduled for June 1st, but they had a cancellation for May 18 at 0830. I hafta go in at 0800 for my pre medication sedative. They said it will be in a liquid form, but I don't remember the name of it, even though they told me the name. I will be under General Anesthesia and it will cost me 30% of the procedure.(which is $381.10) Luckily they have accepted VISA and MASTERCARD.
That doesnt change the fact that I am a bundle of nerves today. Hell, the last time I was under general Anesthesia was when I was 3, and that was for ear tubes. Now I am 22, so you know about how long that it's been.

I'll keep you posted......

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine, I was knocked out, and when I awoke, very drugged. Was prescribed oxycodeine and vicodine, tried not to use much of it. You'll feel a little pain after the drugs wear off, but nothing outrageous. Look forward to macaroni and cheese n' applesauce for dinner...maybe ice cream for a desert. Good luck!

I remember when I had mine removed.... It was May 10, 2005 (just over a year ago). I was under general anesthesia and the procedure took exactly 1 hour from the time i steped into the office until i was rolled out to the car. It was kinda funny and gross at the same time... when i got in the car... my mom took me to CVS to get my pain medication and the antibiotics.. while she was inside, I felt like throwing up so I tried to pull out all the cotton gauze they stuffed in my mouth before i threw up.... without looking in a mirror, I was trying to pull out this "piece of gauze" and it wouldnt come out.... after looking in the mirror.. i realized that it was my lower lip! I felt so stupid... the thing was so numb and dry it felt like cotton! hahaha! :laugh: so that was my funny experience.

I was scared that I would swell up and everything b/c i was going to Miami the next day, but luckily i didnt swell up and only had to suffer with apple sauce for lunch that day... I was eating normal food bye the time dinner came around (pasta, chicken, and bread). Just remember to take the pain meds before the numbness goes away and apply a lot of ice to your jaw after you get home! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
well, today it happened. today I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed all at once. The swelling isnt half as bad as i thought, but then again swelling hasnt went to climax. The dr said he removed some skin for a biopsy cause it had alot of scarring. I dont know why he did, but I did have cleft in the soft pallette surgery when I was around one. I was told some throat tissue was used to seal up the hole. They might have used some gum tissue but I highly doubt it. Wish someone would clarify because I was 1 at the time of surgery, and I'm sure methods have changed by now not to mention the fact the dr that did my surgery is prolly either retired or deceased.

man, this totally brings back memories of when i had all 4 removed a couple years back. I decided to go local since I was told that my situation wasn't that bad and that if i had enough pain tolerance, local would be just fine (and plus, i liked the idea of leaving right after the procedure)... oh gosh.. i thought i was going to die. The numbing process had me tearing.. crying... screaming.. (whatever you wanna call it :p ) ...... The actual process took about 15 minutes but i must've been really traumatized cuz there ain't one thing i can forget about it.. no matter how hard i try. :scared:

saycheese said:
man, this totally brings back memories of when i had all 4 removed a couple years back. I decided to go local since I was told that my situation wasn't that bad and that if i had enough pain tolerance, local would be just fine (and plus, i liked the idea of leaving right after the procedure)... oh gosh.. i thought i was going to die. The numbing process had me tearing.. crying... screaming.. (whatever you wanna call it :p ) ...... The actual process took about 15 minutes but i must've been really traumatized cuz there ain't one thing i can forget about it.. no matter how hard i try. :scared:

You're lucky, mine were impacted and they couldn't remove them. So, they drilled a hole in the center of the wisdom teeth, placed some sort of trocar into the hole, then broke the tooth up by violently moving the trocar back and forth. Then they pulled out the bloody fragments of each tooth out.

Thank god for lidocaine.

Did I mention I had a local?

tkim said:

whoa, now that is scary. icould never do 4 at once, let alone impacted and with local... geez

mlle said:
whoa, now that is scary. icould never do 4 at once, let alone impacted and with local... geez

i had #32 out with only local with some kind of sedative and it was impacted with a dentigerous cyst around it. oh yeah i forgot to mention that my top 2 maxillary 3rds are still sitting up there waiting to be pulled this summer. The swelling wasnt that bad, but chewing on the sutures made things interesting.

SMW83 said:
WED, MAY 17, 2006

Well, tomorrow is the Big Day. At 0830 I have my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed. The procedure is said to take about an hour. Originally it was scheduled for June 1st, but they had a cancellation for May 18 at 0830. I hafta go in at 0800 for my pre medication sedative. They said it will be in a liquid form, but I don't remember the name of it, even though they told me the name. I will be under General Anesthesia and it will cost me 30% of the procedure.(which is $381.10) Luckily they have accepted VISA and MASTERCARD.
That doesnt change the fact that I am a bundle of nerves today. Hell, the last time I was under general Anesthesia was when I was 3, and that was for ear tubes. Now I am 22, so you know about how long that it's been.

Good luck buddy, you are gonna need it!! :luck:

Okay, its now 3-4 days post op (if you count thursday--surgery day). I am a whole lot less swollen than I was, tho my left side is more swollen than my right. They gave me lortab generics, which have done good so far for the pain, minus the fact they make me so damn sleepy all the time, which is why I dont see why some ppl can get addicted to them. Once I couldnt swallow the lortab and had to mash it up in applesauce---it was disgusting taste!!!! At any rate, I am on amoxicillin as well, as an infection preventative. I really dont like being all drugged up, but I'll deal. Im surviving on mashed taters and gravy, green beans, and mac and cheese for lunch/dinner, and grits, sausage gravy, scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfasts. So far so good!! I'm just glad its over!

BTW I was told I had a general anesthetic plus local. I was also told it took the dr about 1 min for each top tooth and about 10 mins for each bottom tooth. I also woke up with my entire bottom lip numb, but that went away after the 1st 24 hours luckily. :thumbup:

SMW83 said:
Okay, its now 3-4 days post op (if you count thursday--surgery day). I am a whole lot less swollen than I was, tho my left side is more swollen than my right. They gave me lortab generics, which have done good so far for the pain, minus the fact they make me so damn sleepy all the time, which is why I dont see why some ppl can get addicted to them. Once I couldnt swallow the lortab and had to mash it up in applesauce---it was disgusting taste!!!! At any rate, I am on amoxicillin as well, as an infection preventative. I really dont like being all drugged up, but I'll deal. Im surviving on mashed taters and gravy, green beans, and mac and cheese for lunch/dinner, and grits, sausage gravy, scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfasts. So far so good!! I'm just glad its over!

BTW I was told I had a general anesthetic plus local. I was also told it took the dr about 1 min for each top tooth and about 10 mins for each bottom tooth. I also woke up with my entire bottom lip numb, but that went away after the 1st 24 hours luckily. :thumbup:
Sounds like you're doing fine. :) Enjoy the macaroni & cheese (& Lortab!).

Is it more common to get general for impacted wisdoms, compared to IV sedation? And is there lingering pain from intubation? I am afraid to get intubated and would only consider it if I get le fort or something of that magnitude :)

What is the point in removing Wisdom Teeth? I have mine, well 3 of them (my bottom right one hasn't poked up yet) and I just dont seem the point of removing them all.

Please elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frank Cavitation said:
Is it more common to get general for impacted wisdoms, compared to IV sedation? And is there lingering pain from intubation? I am afraid to get intubated and would only consider it if I get le fort or something of that magnitude :)

they stuck the breathing tube up my nose and then down my throat...the only side effect from that was a minor sore throat that lasted the rest of the day. I had the option for IV sedation but I chose the general anesthesia, cause I didn't want to remember anything from it.

SMW83 said:
WED, MAY 17, 2006

Hey, What a coinkidink... I just had all 4 of mine extracted under IV sedation on friday (day after you). I'm also more swollen on the L side oddly enough. I still can't open my mouth very wide, and my jaw is quite sore. But, the meds are keeping the pain level down.

Does anyone know how long the chipmunk look will last?

SMW83 said:
they stuck the breathing tube up my nose and then down my throat...the only side effect from that was a minor sore throat that lasted the rest of the day. I had the option for IV sedation but I chose the general anesthesia, cause I didn't want to remember anything from it.
Was this in a hospital or in the oral surgeon's office?

toofache32 said:
Was this in a hospital or in the oral surgeon's office?

oral surgeons office. but the oral surgeons office was right across the street from a hospital should anything have gone wrong?

SMW83 said:
oral surgeons office. but the oral surgeons office was right across the street from a hospital should anything have gone wrong?
Just curious. It sounds like you had a nasal intubation. I didn't know many oral surgeons were doing nasal intubations in the office.

About a year ago in June I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at once. I don't know how long it took but I don't think it took too long cause when I was finished my Dad was like -your done already? But my face swelled up so big I looked like a blow fish. It took me about 4-5 days to fully recover and eat regular food without any pain. I definitely would never want to experience that ever again.

I was 17 and got them out at 6am one morning. By friend picked me up at 8am to go fishing and I never looked back. Except when I vomited once. Oh and the dry socket 4 days later.

toofache32 said:
I was 17 and got them out at 6am one morning. By friend picked me up at 8am to go fishing and I never looked back. Except when I vomited once. Oh and the dry socket 4 days later.
And that was when you decided to help others in the world experience the bliss of dry sockets and aimed to get into omfs

I was told by my ortho to extract 7s, taken out 2 at a time at different places. 8s came out and looked not too mutated so we are leaving 'em in.

how old were you when your wisdom teeth appeared? i am 21 yrs old and none of them showed up. i don't want any more problems with my teeth. :mad:

issa said:
how old were you when your wisdom teeth appeared? i am 21 yrs old and none of them showed up. i don't want any more problems with my teeth. :mad:
have you checked what they look like, by taking a pan?

toofache32 said:
Oh and the dry socket 4 days later.

For Shame!!! whatd ya do to cause it? drink from a straw or smoke?

------------------

side note update: they told me the biopsy they did turned out to be a real cyst. it is benign thank God, it is called a "dentigerous cyst"?? I asked what would cause it and the oral surgeon said bad luck? I dont smoke, chew or drink....HOW could something like that could form??? and HOW common are they???????

SMW83 said:
For Shame!!! whatd ya do to cause it? drink from a straw or smoke?
It was probably the oral contraceptives. What gave you the idea that a dry socket is someone's fault?

SMW83 said:
side note update: they told me the biopsy they did turned out to be a real cyst. it is benign thank God, it is called a "dentigerous cyst"?? I asked what would cause it and the oral surgeon said bad luck? I dont smoke, chew or drink....HOW could something like that could form??? and HOW common are they???????
It's extremely common. There is a follicle around every developing tooth in the bone which disappears when the tooth erupts. A dentigerous cyst is merely an enlarged follicle that doesn't disappear, often because the tooth is unable to erupt for whatever reason.

good thing it has not turned into an ameloblastoma! :barf:

toofache: I was sorta worried in the first post you were saying OC was the cause of her dentigerous cyst :(

toofache32 said:
It was probably the oral contraceptives. What gave you the idea that a dry socket is someone's fault?

just what I was told. I am on the depo provera shot and it didn't do anything. its not the same as oral contraceptives, but its birth control still the same.

SMW83 said:
just what I was told. I am on the depo provera shot and it didn't do anything. its not the same as oral contraceptives, but its birth control still the same.
Sometimes it's the patient's fault, sometimes it just happens. Maybe I was non-compliant, I can't remember.

tkim said:
You're lucky, mine were impacted and they couldn't remove them. So, they drilled a hole in the center of the wisdom teeth, placed some sort of trocar into the hole, then broke the tooth up by violently moving the trocar back and forth. Then they pulled out the bloody fragments of each tooth out.

Thank god for lidocaine.

Note to self: Don't be a cheap-ass next time...

SMW83 said:
Haha, I did mine under local and oral meds (Halcion if I remeber). I remeber most of the surgery, but I think I had a bad trip, bc my oral surgeon has a dvd player in each operatory, and during the surgery MIB II was on.

Now I've never seen MIB II before the surgery, and I remeber during watching it completely through twice. But the surgery only took about 45 min, and the assistant said she turned the movie off halfway through.

So am I psychic or what?

OMFSCardsFan said:
Note to self: Don't be a cheap-ass next time...

I wasn't being cheap, this happened when I was a teenager. No choice of local versus general anesthetic was offered to me.

tkim said:
then broke the tooth up by violently moving the trocar back and forth. Then they pulled out the bloody fragments of each tooth out.

The cheaping out part is going to a dentist who solves problems with violence. I would imagine one the tooth was adequately sectioned with the drill, it can be broken into fragments with a soft twist of the elevator.

Frank Cavitation said:
The cheaping out part is going to a dentist who solves problems with violence. I would imagine one the tooth was adequately sectioned with the drill, it can be broken into fragments with a soft twist of the elevator.

Fair enough. The question then would be, how does one find a dentist that doesn't do this? Word of - heh, mouth? Or do I directly ask them 'how violent do you get with wisdom teeth?'

I find it puzzling that people are willing to blame the consumer for things that are beyond his control or knoweldge base.

tkim said:
Fair enough. The question then would be, how does one find a dentist that doesn't do this? Word of - heh, mouth? Or do I directly ask them 'how violent do you get with wisdom teeth?'

I find it puzzling that people are willing to blame the consumer for things that are beyond his control or knoweldge base.

I'm sure what Frank Cavitation described is exactly what happened to you. A gentle twist with the elevator. Perception is everything - and in dentistry there are two very different perspectives depending on whether you are sitting in the chair or menacing over it with sharp instruments in you hand. :D

12YearOldKid said:
I'm sure what Frank Cavitation described is exactly what happened to you. A gentle twist with the elevator. Perception is everything - and in dentistry there are two very different perspectives depending on whether you are sitting in the chair or menacing over it with sharp instruments in you hand. :D

Well, he did stabilize my forehead with his other hand, and my entire head moved while he broke those teeth into pieces.

My recall of the amount of force he used is probably dimmer than I'm willing to admit, but there was quite a bit of torque involved before each tooth broke. I do recall thinking to myself that it was really going to hurt after the novocaine wore off ...

tkim said:
Well, he did stabilize my forehead with his other hand, and my entire head moved while he broke those teeth into pieces.

My recall of the amount of force he used is probably dimmer than I'm willing to admit, but there was quite a bit of torque involved before each tooth broke. I do recall thinking to myself that it was really going to hurt after the novocaine wore off ...
Does the letter "V" mean anything to you?

(I'm just messing with you. I don't think anyone should go through impacted 3rds under local. Once the handpiece enters the equation, I think people should be sedated. Unless you're an inmate...then, you're lucky if I anesthetize the correct side.)