My worst ACT score is science....

Started by glowworm
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

glowworm

inching along
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so does that mean I'm not good at it? Is being good enough at science something I can learn or are people just born with a "science brain"? I'm kinda worried since I don't really want to be an english teacher or a professional reader.
here are my scores: english:36 math:28 reading:34 science:25
composite: 31

So I guess my question is, do ACT scores have any correlation to college and real life?
 
do ACT scores have any correlation to college and real life?
Absolutely not. It's a standardized test. It means next to nothing. Do you know what tripped you up on the science portion? If you can figure that out and fix it, a retake might be in order. A 31 is still a great score, though.
 
so does that mean I'm not good at it? Is being good enough at science something I can learn or are people just born with a "science brain"? I'm kinda worried since I don't really want to be an english teacher or a professional reader.
here are my scores: english:36 math:28 reading:34 science:25
composite: 31

So I guess my question is, do ACT scores have any correlation to college and real life?

Nope, they don't. My lowest score on the ACT was science... My highest score on the MCAT - Biology. And I am going to medical school next year. So, do whatever you want to do. The ACT is in no way a crystal ball that determines your future.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think I did too well on my science ACT section. However, I rocked all of my science courses in college and I did really well on those sections on the MCAT. Do not fret!
 
The science section of the ACT doesn't really gauge your level of conceptual scientific knowledge. Rather, it wants to know if you can draw conclusions from experimental results (as in the scientific method).

Just becuase you missed a few problems interpreting a graph doesn't mean you are incapable of doing well in science courses in college or of being a competent health professional. 🙂
 
Hmm pretty sure my worst sections were science and math as well. My worst sections on the MCAT were the sciences, too 😛. Apparently I'm supposed to be a writer or some kind of humanist.

And yet, it hasn't mattered, since I've been lucky enough to get into a couple of places! Study what you love, even if it's not what you're best at, and work as hard as you can, and you'll do great. You'd be surprised at how much communication, comprehension, and writing skills come in handy when writing zillions of essays and expressing your opinions eloquently at interviews. Good luck!
 
All the ACT does for you with science is ask you "can you read graphs... and can u do it fast?" Yeah, don't worry about it. Congrats on the score!