Myasthenia Gravis and preserved deep tendon reflexes, why?

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I saw a patient on rounds the other day w/ MG and it was mentioned that DTR are preserved. I've been going over it in my head and I am confused why they would be preserved across the board. Is it just because of the extent of muscle contraction needed for a reflex versus full muscle usage? I'd love you forever for a reference!
 
Muscle reflex do require Ach so It is affected in MG...If you constantly do DTR then U will realize decreased response...

While DTR in patients with Lambert Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome: intially absent but with constant stimulation U will see response....a good sign to differentiate MG vs LEMs....