Myelodysplastic Syndrome refers to a state (sometimes called pre-leukemia, but not so much anymore) where marrow failure and ineffective hematopoeisis predominate. There is an increased apoptotic rate of marrow cells and general stem cell depletion. Characteristic findings include ringed sideroblasts, megaloblastic maturation, messed up megakaryocytes, and bilobed PMNs. Progression to AML happens some of the time, and survival varies widely, from less than a year to more than 5. Those cases induced by therapy (radiation or drugs) are known as t-MDS and have an extremely poor prognosis. I think this might be because of patient age, though, as most patients are elderly and thus treated supportively, while younger patients receive BMT. I get the sense that it's not covered too much on boards, as neither BRS Path nor Goljan discusses it at all, and the Kaplan lecture notes have a total of three lines on it.
Myelophthistic anemia is a process in which metastatic cells or plain old fibrosis displace normal progenitors, causing marrow faliure. I think this too is considered low-yield, though it does get a note in BRS.
Thanks for making me think (and read). I hope this was helpful.