mypsychtrack question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm in my second week of my clinical PhD program, and my cohort is now sitting in on group supervision meetings to get a better feel for the format of supervision, so we're ready to dive in as second years. Should I be keeping track of these supervision meetings (i.e. in mypsychtrack)? It seems like mypsychtrack requires detailed client info to log any hours, so I'm not sure how to add these group supervision meetings, if I should log them at all.

I'm not opposed to simply maintaining an excel spreadsheet and manually adding hours to the APPI when the time comes. Does anyone out in SDN land have a good predoctoral-hour-tracking spreadsheet already formatted that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know what the mypsychtrack categories are, but for me personally, I probably wouldn't count supervision hours on (for example) my APPIC application unless I was seeing patients and receiving direct supervision. That's just me, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Back in my day, we had to chisel our hours into a slate. And if you read the APPIC rules, which were given to us by Kaiser Wilheim, you could see where "group supervision" which was expressely for with the specific intent of overseeing the psychological services rendered by the supervisees is counted and ends up being put in the same category as individual supervision in the end. But we also knew that didactics, such as learning how to learn from supervision, were not counted as supervision on our because they were not about psychological services.

and we wore an onion on our belt. It was the style at the time. But we couldn't get the white ones, because of the war.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back in my day, we had to chisel our hours into a slate. And if you read the APPIC rules, which were given to us by Kaiser Wilheim, you could see where "group supervision" which was expressely for with the specific intent of overseeing the psychological services rendered by the supervisees is counted and ends up being put in the same category as individual supervision in the end. But we also knew that didactics, such as learning how to learn from supervision, were not counted as supervision on our because they were not about psychological services.

and we wore an onion on our belt. It was the style at the time. But we couldn't get the white ones, because of the war.

I'm so glad I went to grad school in the era where red onions were acceptable fashion statements.

Did you get paid in bees, which is what they called nickels at the time? "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Reactions: 1 users
my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" cause that Saddam had stolen our word "90". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. ...Internship, which was called "alienist study" was paid in bees. We got paid 5 bees per week, unless we went into the military. Then after MRI was invented, it got kinda quiet, 'til Superman challenged FDR to a race around the world. FDR beat him by a furlong, or so the comic books would have you believe. The truth lies somewhere in between.
google-card-catalogue-Grammerly-FB.png

Reactions: 3 users
Did you get paid in bees, which is what they called nickels at the time? "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

Yeah, we had people in our program try it. They all ended up switching to Time2Track.

This thread made me laugh so hard I nearly wet my pants. Maybe because it was an emotional rollercoaster week and I might not be stable, but nonetheless, this thread made me crack the eff up.

Also sorry Briar? hope it's a good first two weeks! That's the only semi-intelligent thing I have to add.

This thread made me laugh so hard I nearly wet my pants. Maybe because it was an emotional rollercoaster week and I might not be stable, but nonetheless, this thread made me crack the eff up.

Also sorry Briar? hope it's a good first two weeks! That's the only semi-intelligent thing I have to add.
hehe. Pretty soon Briar will be the one laughing at slightly nonsensical humor with a tinge of madness to his cackle as he succumbs to the insanity of overthinking every step along the way. I hope he makes it through all the way to licensure without needing too much thorazine Although I hear they prefer seroquel in the more upscale lunatic asylums these days!

thorazine = cheaper
seroquel = drug rep influence*.

*Edit: Observational study of N=1. Had to work with a psychiatrist that gave almost everyone seroquel. Sleep? Anxiety? Depression? Psychosis?- Here- try this. Attachment problems? Seroquel will help you "un-attach". Honestly.

Ive only come across one other person to push a drug so hard, and it was a PCP I used to work with and she tried to give everyone geodon. To this day I cant figure out why.

thorazine = cheaper
seroquel = drug rep influence*.

*Edit: Observational study of N=1. Had to work with a psychiatrist that gave almost everyone seroquel. Sleep? Anxiety? Depression? Psychosis?- Here- try this. Attachment problems? Seroquel will help you "un-attach". Honestly.

Ive only come across one other person to push a drug so hard, and it was a PCP I used to work with and she tried to give everyone geodon. To this day I cant figure out why.
The psychiatrists on SDN were joking about bad psychiatry with seroquel/quetiapine awhile back because "it treats everything" was the gist of it. So either other docs do the same thing or you know the same one. Of course, sociopathic killers who work as psychiatrists at insane asylums likely won't respond well to either medication.

The psychiatrists on SDN were joking about bad psychiatry with seroquel/quetiapine awhile back because "it treats everything" was the gist of it. So either other docs do the same thing or you know the same one. Of course, sociopathic killers who work as psychiatrists at insane asylums likely won't respond well to either medication.
Ok, serious answer time. Sadly, it's unlikely to be the same doc. Also sadly, drug reps are scary at how influential they are. That psychiatrist worked in CMHC, could never get boarded, and apparently took quite a few attempts to get out of med school. Not so quiet rumor was that he worked there because literally no one else would hire him. That's not too surprising to me- my observation was that he could barely carry on an intelligent conversation.

The scariest part is that in a CMHC, he was the prescriber for how many people? Alot. But I'm not longer there (thank goodness). Moved on up to the east side.

Ok, serious answer time. Sadly, it's unlikely to be the same doc. Also sadly, drug reps are scary at how influential they are. That psychiatrist worked in CMHC, could never get boarded, and apparently took quite a few attempts to get out of med school. Not so quiet rumor was that he worked there because literally no one else would hire him. That's not too surprising to me- my observation was that he could barely carry on an intelligent conversation.

The scariest part is that in a CMHC, he was the prescriber for how many people? Alot. But I'm not longer there (thank goodness). Moved on up to the east side.
The one thing I would add to what you're saying is that the bad psychiatrists at places like state hospitals and CMHCs is not related to the drug companies marketing. I am thinking that bad psychiatrists might be more susceptible to the marketing perhaps that is the connection.