PhD/PsyD n/a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted990107

H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • No stipend/funding offered until the offer is accepted. (I'm not sure if this is standard in other PsyD programs, but I shouldn't have to wait until I accept an offer from a ~$51k/year program to know what funding I can expect).
  • I received a call from LIU admissions approx. a week after getting the offer, pressuring me to say whether I received offers elsewhere and if I planned on accepting LIU's offer.
  • Said admissions rep. hinted that they would try to match other offers if I reveal them.
All of the listed items are sketchy, but I'm highlighting these specifically because this goes against general practice for admissions in clinical and counseling psychology. SDN, isn't this against CUDCP's guidelines for offers?

If you've interviewed/are a student or alumni: would you accept an offer at this program now?
I did not interview at LIU Post, but my answer to this question given the things that you have listed is "hell to the no".

Reactions: 1 users
Students and faculty are on their best behavior at the interview day.

When they share their negative feelings, believe them.

Also I don't care how good the training is...51k per year with no funding is suffocating.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know several graduates and they certainly produced quality grads in the past. I am not sure what is going on over there now, but $51k/yr is just and absurd amount of debt for this profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be concerned about the fact that you can’t know if you’ll be funded until after you get accepted, but particularly so knowing that the cohort size will be increased by 11 students. That means more competition for funding and less chances of you getting funded, unless they also increase funding opportunities, which it doesn’t sound like they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you saw this recent thread

If you've interviewed/are a student or alumni: would you accept an offer at this program now?
I'm neither of these but I would steer my undergrads away from applying here purely b/c of cost, which are compounded living in the NYC metro area.

I am not sure what is going on over there now, but $51k/yr is just and absurd amount of debt for this profession.

agreed; however, I've been astounded at the amount of psychologists I've met in the last 6 years who legit have told me "I'm just not going to pay it back." I know there's the cognitive dissonance thing that gets thrown around here a lot in connection to this, but it doesn't strike me as that with these folks, they legit just don't seem to care.

• Wow
agreed; however, I've been astounded at the amount of psychologists I've met in the last 6 years who legit have told me "I'm just not going to pay it back." I know there's the cognitive dissonance thing that gets thrown around here a lot in connection to this, but it doesn't strike me as that with these folks, they legit just don't seem to care.

Okay, and the government will garnish your tax returns. Even the mob knows you don't cross the federal government. Not really sure that is a plan.

IBR seems to be the default plan, but that is poor fiscal planning. You will kick the can down the road until you are older and don't have retirement money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.