n/a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ochem_lover

Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, great application!! Not much to nitpick other than maybe apply to some more state schools if you can and if you have the opportunity to get more general dentist shadowing that would also help!

Hey SDN, I’m a junior in undergrad right now. My stats are listed below. What should I improve on to better my chances for next (my first) cycle?

Date of submission: n/a, next cycle (23-24)
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 23, TS 23,
21 PAT, 21 QR, 26 RC, 23 BIO, 25 GC, 22 OC.
State of Residence: KS

Undergrad Attended: in state of residence
Major: Biochem BA & Spanish BA
Minor: n/a
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 50 hrs general, 100 hrs oral surgeon, 25 hrs endo,
Volunteering Experience: 110 hrs community garden, 50 hrs community kitchen, 16 hrs free dental clinic.
Employment: 185 hrs dental assistant + ~300 hrs warehouse job freshman yr
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership: ~70 hrs across 2 clubs, Spanish Club member ~20 hrs,
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s list
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist, 2 science professors. All of moderate strength.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: n/a

School list:
UMKC
UPenn
Midwestern AZ
OSU (family ties)
OHSU
Univ of Washington
take off mw-az and UW
add some publics closer to KS

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, great application!! Not much to nitpick other than maybe apply to some more state schools if you can and if you have the opportunity to get more general dentist shadowing that would also help!
Thanks! Will definitely rack up some more hours shadowing.
take off mw-az and UW
add some publics closer to KS
Any reasons in specific to take off both mw-az and UW?

UW I’m pretty sure is extremely difficult for OOS applicants. They interview and accepts a small amount. And MW-AZ is a very expensive school and you have good enough stats to get in somewhere cheaper

Your best chances are going to be the schools closest to you. Unless you told me you grew up in Washington or Arizona, it's hard for me to see how an admissions committee is going to see you fit with their mission. I would consider Marquette or Creighton which are closer private schools over Arizona, especially if you grew up in the Midwest. Maybe Minnesota or Iowa though you need to check the DSE if they have a history accepting Kansas applicants. If you are interested in community health, I would also investigate HPSP and NHSC options as soon as you can to lower the possible student debt you would accrue.

because they are super expensive and they are not near where you live

Thanks for your input guys. I really am shooting for oral surgery in the long run - I should've included this in my main post. If I know my goal is oral surgery going in, WAMC with UPenn or schools of similar caliber? I would really like to be free to specialize in OS and I know that higher ranked schools have higher specialization rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.