NADDS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year podiatry HPSP student, set to graduate in June 2011, will be entering NADDS as there is only one military podiatry residency and I will be doing a civilian residency. Does anyone know if time in NADDS will add to my active duty payback commitment? I was told no by Navy FP in the past and believe him of course, but today someone in the Navy benefits office said differently, just want to be sure nothing has changed.

I currently will owe 3 years of active duty for (3 year) HPSP scholarship, plus 5 of IRR. I assumed that this will all begin after residency, so upon completion of residency I will owe 3 active plus 5 IRR?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a 4th year podiatry HPSP student, set to graduate in June 2011, will be entering NADDS as there is only one military podiatry residency and I will be doing a civilian residency. Does anyone know if time in NADDS will add to my active duty payback commitment? I was told no by Navy FP in the past and believe him of course, but today someone in the Navy benefits office said differently, just want to be sure nothing has changed.

I currently will owe 3 years of active duty for (3 year) HPSP scholarship, plus 5 of IRR. I assumed that this will all begin after residency, so upon completion of residency I will owe 3 active plus 5 IRR?

The 3 years of active duty are set in stone. There is no change as a result of NADDS.

The debate will come with respect to the IRR time. Even in the hallowed halls of BUMED, there is disagreement. The generally accepted belief is that you don't start the IRR clock until you begin your active duty time. The minority opinion is that when you are recommissioned, you start that clock.

Since the Navy has yet to call medical types back from IRR, it is likely a moot point, but you never know.