Name Change After Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acerbus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year student who is getting married after my graduation in May. I would like to change my name legally to my future husband's, however I'm not sure how easily this can be done after graduation and with other paperwork in my maiden name. Has anyone gone through this before, if so, what was the process? (sorry I know there are similar posts like this but they are all really old and mostly about if they should change their name). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's super easy to do, I've had several classmates in residency who have done it. You'll just need to keep a copy of your marriage license around in case they need some proof.

Google what you need to do for what you need to do in your specific state (will want to start st the social security office), then change your state ID and bank information. For hospital stuff, your GME office will be able to help point you in the right direction.