Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Name dropping in PS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by KeyLime, Jul 23, 2006.

1. KeyLime

I am behind most of you and have yet to submit my application. I am taking a couple summer classes that will be done on Aug 3, so I hope to submit around Aug. 7
    I have been working at a psychiatry research technician full-time for the last three years. The PI that I work under is pretty famous in his field. I haven't included his name in my personal statement so far when mentioning my research experience because I feel like that might be tacky. What do you all think? Should I name-drop, or not?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    My personal opinion on this case.. is that it would be ok to include it. I would say it wouldnt be ok if you were simply dropping the name of a politician as "look at me, I know senator so and so", or My family is friends with Congressman so and so and he thinks i should go to med school.,"

To me it is different if it is a researcher. So I would say go ahead. I would hope he wrote one of your reccomendation letters :)
    Good luck.. and get that application out as soon as you can.

4. Soccer885

Soccer885 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I also believe it is okay because you are doing research with him. I am also doing research and in my personal statement I said something along the lines of "I do such and such research under the supervision of Dr. So and So." Obviously worded better but you get the point. I wasn't trying to name drop and the guy I do research under isn't anywhere close to famous, although he is associated with the med school I want to go to and is on their committee!

5. dr.z

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it's o.k. to include the name.