1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Name dropping in PS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by KeyLime, Jul 23, 2006.

1. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

I am behind most of you and have yet to submit my application. I am taking a couple summer classes that will be done on Aug 3, so I hope to submit around Aug. 7
    I have been working at a psychiatry research technician full-time for the last three years. The PI that I work under is pretty famous in his field. I haven't included his name in my personal statement so far when mentioning my research experience because I feel like that might be tacky. What do you all think? Should I name-drop, or not?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My personal opinion on this case.. is that it would be ok to include it. I would say it wouldnt be ok if you were simply dropping the name of a politician as "look at me, I know senator so and so", or My family is friends with Congressman so and so and he thinks i should go to med school.,"

To me it is different if it is a researcher. So I would say go ahead. I would hope he wrote one of your reccomendation letters :)
    Good luck.. and get that application out as soon as you can.

4. Soccer885

Soccer885 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also believe it is okay because you are doing research with him. I am also doing research and in my personal statement I said something along the lines of "I do such and such research under the supervision of Dr. So and So." Obviously worded better but you get the point. I wasn't trying to name drop and the guy I do research under isn't anywhere close to famous, although he is associated with the med school I want to go to and is on their committee!

5. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it's o.k. to include the name.